If Goose returns....

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

If Goose returns....

Would you play him as a forward?
The forward line is very one dimensional at the moment.
IMO Kosi is not the answer up forward.

Goose may struggle with mobility and pace at CHB coming off the leg injury, I wonder how he would go up forward.

Can take a contested mark and use his strong body to bring the ball to ground to the benefit of Milne, the Arm waver and co.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Re: If Goose returns....

Joffa Burns wrote:Would you play him as a forward?
The forward line is very one dimensional at the moment.
IMO Kosi is not the answer up forward.

Goose may struggle with mobility and pace at CHB coming off the leg injury, I wonder how he would go up forward.

Can take a contested mark and use his strong body to bring the ball to ground to the benefit of Milne, the Arm waver and co.
chf is certainly worth thinking about if he can get back to his barnstorming form of a couple of years ago.

but that's a big IF given his injury history.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

If he's fit, I think Goose at CHF will be the only place he can legitimately play.

Unless he's really been recuperating beyond brilliantly, with the way teams run out of half back these days, he'd likely get left behind you'd think. That, and our back six is pretty settled presently.

That said, why not at CHF? The more I think about it, the more I like the sound of it. Worth considering for sure.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Yes, mentioned this earlier and the idea was shunned.

Is a good kick of the footy, but even though he has played in defense most of his career, he can run quick in straight lines, but can't turn too quickly, so is easily exposed by certain types of players.

Is just about the best option we have on our list for a leading forward.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Not got the forward skills. Pook kick, doubt he would be good on a lead and not really a good contested amrk. Is a straight ahead footballer who is a backman and will play there if fit enough otherwise could be in trouble.

timtam
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:Not got the forward skills. Pook kick, doubt he would be good on a lead and not really a good contested amrk. Is a straight ahead footballer who is a backman and will play there if fit enough otherwise could be in trouble.
Your kidding me? A poor kick? Obviously you don't remember him pre-injury... especially some of his big kicks from outside the 50m mark.

Another one of our biggest problems is we have no one who is capable of kicking a goal from outside the 50. Been that way for a few years now (not to mention midfielders lack of goals!).

Don't argue with an idiot - people watching may not be able to tell the difference.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

timtam wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Not got the forward skills. Pook kick, doubt he would be good on a lead and not really a good contested amrk. Is a straight ahead footballer who is a backman and will play there if fit enough otherwise could be in trouble.
Your kidding me? A poor kick? Obviously you don't remember him pre-injury... especially some of his big kicks from outside the 50m mark.

Another one of our biggest problems is we have no one who is capable of kicking a goal from outside the 50. Been that way for a few years now (not to mention midfielders lack of goals!).
Doubt he has kicked to many from set shots. Get a couple on the run but forwards have to kick from set shots.

timtam
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
timtam wrote:

Doubt he has kicked to many from set shots. Get a couple on the run but forwards have to kick from set shots.
Bit different from your earlier post. You claim he can't kick, now you doubt he can? I think if you go back and watch the games when he was at his prime prior to the horrific leg break, you may change your mind.

Don't argue with an idiot - people watching may not be able to tell the difference.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

timtam wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
timtam wrote:

Bit different from your earlier post. You claim he can't kick, now you doubt he can? I think if you go back and watch the games when he was at his prime prior to the horrific leg break, you may change your mind.
I said he was a poor kick for goal not he cant kick and I stand by it. Not a good set shot kick. Anyway that is hardly the most important thing. Getting it is a little more important.

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:I said he was a poor kick for goal not he cant kick and I stand by it. Not a good set shot kick.
Quite right...Look at Robert Harvey...Excellent kick to a lead and in general play but put him in front of goal...different story.

4ever_saint
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
timtam wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
timtam wrote:

I said he was a poor kick for goal not he cant kick and I stand by it. Not a good set shot kick. Anyway that is hardly the most important thing. Getting it is a little more important.
kicked 3 goals while on buddy franklin against hawthorn in 2005. granted it was buddys first year- 3 goals is still an accomplishment for a backman ;)

i reckon he should sit at ff until fully fit, can take a strong mark and if back at full fitness could fill the undeniable hole in our forward line.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Depends on his body shape as he finished preseason 2009.

He COULD be a forward. Goose is strong as all hell and he has some freakin agro about him.

Would be very Hamillish across HF....

Could do worse.

Time will tell...

Goose has the option to reinvent himself atm....

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
rexy
SS Life Member

If we are going to play him forward, which is an idea with some merit IMO, he would need to play at FF. CHF requires similar running ability to CHB (strangely enough considering they play on each other :wink: ), plus Roo is the best CHF in the league according to the AA selectors, why would we need a CHF?

We must either dvelop Goose or Allen into a FF, play Kosi or McEvoy there permenantly and give the other one the second ruck spot or recruit another tall forward who can play out of the square.

Possible trades NDS to Sydney for Hall
NDS to Richmond for Jack Reiwoldt
something? to Freo for Murphy

Maybe this year?
Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Not sure what you are on about here plugger66...
plugger66 wrote: I said he was a poor kick for goal not he cant kick and I stand by it. Not a good set shot kick. Anyway that is hardly the most important thing. Getting it is a little more important.
Actually you didn’t say/write that at all plugger66, you wrote that Goose was a POOK Kick (meaning poor) see below....
plugger66 wrote:Not got the forward skills. Pook kick,

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
bigred
Saintsational Legend

NDS to Richmond for Jack Reiwoldt
They would be mad..

I reckon that kid will be a fkn good player in a few seasons...

RIewoldt that is.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
saintjake
Club Player

theres already been a post on this..

n1ck
Saintsational Legend

rexy wrote:Possible trades NDS to Sydney for Hall
What?!?

SainterX
Club Player

Put Sam Fisher up there. At least when Nick goes down the ground he has someone to kick to who can keep running for him, and be the link man, unlike Kosi and co.

A true king doesn't glass his girlfriend.
A true king doesn't smear his blood on an opponent when he cannot break a tag.
A true king does not label umpires disgraceful.
A true king is Robert Harvey.
timtam
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:I said he was a poor kick for goal not he cant kick and I stand by it. Not a good set shot kick. Anyway that is hardly the most important thing. Getting it is a little more important.
Poor kick or poor kick for goal? Which one is it? Seems you change your mind every time you post!

Generally defenders don't have a lot of set shots at goal on a regular basis so how do you know exactly how good or bad he is? From the shots he had pre-injury, he looked OK to me!!!! Specially when he was thumping the ones from outside 50m straight through the sticks!

Saint Mik
Club Player

timtam wrote:
plugger66 wrote:I said he was a poor kick for goal not he cant kick and I stand by it. Not a good set shot kick. Anyway that is hardly the most important thing. Getting it is a little more important.
Poor kick or poor kick for goal? Which one is it? Seems you change your mind every time you post!

Generally defenders don't have a lot of set shots at goal on a regular basis so how do you know exactly how good or bad he is? From the shots he had pre-injury, he looked OK to me!!!! Specially when he was thumping the ones from outside 50m straight through the sticks!
He has got a long way to go before he gets back to that form, I hope he does but it is a big IF going on his recent injuries.

Forget the past, Saints footy, One better in 2010
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

goose at his injury-free peak was inspirational. people have forgotten just how good he was and how good he was going to be.

IF he can get back to full fitness and IF hasn't lost too much confidence from all those horrible injuries then he's definitely worthy of strong consideration at chf.

as a few have pointed out there are a few big IFs there.

mightysainters
SS Hall of Fame

Guys we did recruit him as a FF... He was a FF in under 18's and was a good kick... If we start to groom him he will start to improve on his set shot just was bit shaky on it when he had played backline for a few years. Although he has lost alot of pace and doubt he will be up to AFL level after this kind of lay off

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

IMO Goose is in a dilemma ....

Max is not getting any younger, and a FB in the future is required...

Goose can't play FB, he has been questionable in the past being in the last line in the defence...

The only option I can see is CHB with maybe fisher at FB with Max at BP...

We are farked if and when Max calls it a day IMO

We would loose the run Sam Fisher has from the HB if he plays at FB..

If Goose goes forward, just who will be our next FB??

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
SainterX
Club Player

We would loose the run Sam Fisher has from the HB if he plays at FB..

Silvagni :lol:

or dare I say it

Pennnny :P

A true king doesn't glass his girlfriend.
A true king doesn't smear his blood on an opponent when he cannot break a tag.
A true king does not label umpires disgraceful.
A true king is Robert Harvey.
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

SainterX wrote:Pennnny :P
Wasn't there a rumour that he nominated for the draft last year?