from the age today

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Solar
Saintsational Legend

from the age today

anyone read that the club had 3-4 CRISIS meetings where harvey was a mentor.

Sounds like the group has had alot to work through. This is great, the coaching group is trying to push this squad. Loved the quote that lyon will weed out those without mental toughness.

But sheesh reading about roo making the speech after the game made me well up again!

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
fingers
Saintsational Legend

Is there a link?

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Bitter exit, but Harvey holds hopes for Saints
Steve Butler | September 22, 2008

IF EVER there was a moment for success-starved St Kilda to build a future on, this was it.

Just minutes after the Saints bowed out of 2008 with a 54-point loss to Hawthorn at the MCG on Saturday night, retiring champ Robert Harvey left one last indelible mark in his final farewell.

But, as has become his trademark in his 383 games, it was more through his actions than his words.

The Saints faithful, from board members to boot-studders, formed a tributary circle as captain Nick Riewoldt stared his former skipper in the eyes and spoke apologetically about sending the dual Brownlow medallist off with such a disappointing defeat.

Riewoldt thanked Harvey for his leadership in "four or five crisis meetings" during the season and then could not contain his emotions as he stuttered through the words, "with a heavy heart, we say goodbye".

It left few dry eyes in the pack and to his left, Brendon Goddard — who had made a beeline for Harvey on the ground after the final siren to plant a kiss on his forehead — wept uncontrollably.

In an emotion-charged reply, Harvey appeared strong and composed as he urged the club to push forward in his absence. But after saying, "I deeply thank the players for this year — it's been more than I could ever have expected", he too broke down and fell into the arms of 10-year teammate, Lenny Hayes.

Feeling for the integrity of his veteran, coach Ross Lyon quickly whisked Harvey and the team behind closed doors for one final debrief on season 2008.

Harvey then joined Lyon for the after-match media conference, but often stared blankly through the press pack , seemingly incredulous to the fact that life-after-football was finally here.

"I sort of never expected in my final game I'd be looking forward to that siren, but that was the case," Harvey said, referring to the loss of one last chance to play in a grand final. "You live and die by what you do out there … obviously that's unacceptable today, but there's a lot of pride around the club in the coaches and players. There'll be some hungry boys next year.

"It's been a long six weeks and it's probably something that hasn't sat that comfortably with me, all this attention. But … you only do it once and I'm not planning a comeback.

"When you walk off the ground the last time, you do take all that in. In my wildest dreams I didn't see this one coming tonight … no matter if it's your last game, your first game or anything in between, you sting a bit after a loss like that.

"That's going to take a little while to get over. After that, I don't know. I'll certainly have a rest for a while and put the feet up and get away maybe."

Later in the changerooms, Harvey sported a relaxed smile as he joked with Riewoldt and fellow Saints legend Stewart Loewe.

The enduring 37-year-old then flopped an arm over his father Jeff as his mother Marilyn wiped tears from under her glasses and his children played happily nearby.

His doting dad, who admitted his heartbreak at watching his son start on the bench in his last game, then offered words which suggested Harvey's legacy was as far-reaching as most in the Saints camp have suggested.

"My wife and I … I don't know what we'll do over winter now," he said in what is a typical matter-of-fact Harvey family manner.

Saint Bev
SS Life Member

Great article. Not much said about his parents over the years. I guess they are as humble as him. One thing for sure they must be awesome people to have bought a son up to be the person he is.

Qld Saints Supporter Group
FortiusQuoFidelius
Club Player

Saint Bev wrote:Great article. Not much said about his parents over the years. I guess they are as humble as him. One thing for sure they must be awesome people to have bought a son up to be the person he is.
Having played cricket with Rob's dad Geoff, I can confidently say that Rob is a chip of the old block. Both Rob and Geoff are two of the most humble people one could ever meet, and an absolute pleasure to be associated with.