brief list analysis

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

james rose
Club Player

brief list analysis

Main list

Retire:
Gehrig
Gardi
Harvey
Max?- leave it up to him.

Bait:
Dal
Kosi

perhaps a trade to WCE of Dal and Kosi for Kerr and a first or second round draft pick?
would be win/win situation, however i think with the retiring players may not be needed. let me get his straight I LOVE both these players just think they aren't delivering what they could often enough.

Delist

1 of King/Rix
no need for both these players with Kosi (if not traded), Big Mac, Blake and potentially a draftee plus which ever one doesn't get moved on.

up to 3 of Ferg/Fiora/Birss/L. Fisher

personally I would seriously think about keeping all 3 as all are reasonable depth and still tease

so thats min 4 moved on to make room in the draft with potential to move on 8 without causing too much stress.

Rookie list

Don't know much about the players remaining on the rookie list
Attard- would keep on rookie if possible or promote
Chivers- would love to know more about him?
Miles- seen his name about a little for casey again though would be good to know more?
Van Rheenen- only time i've seem him was an intra club he looked skilled then...

NSW
Khan seems to be developing nicely...would he be worth bringing onto the main list?

The amazing thing is when you look at the list with these changes... we are very young with a decent core to build around
Last edited by james rose on Sun 21 Sep 2008 12:47am, edited 2 times in total.

james rose
Club Player

watching the replay.. prob a bit harsh on kosi... but it still has to be floated.. see whats offered

james rose
Club Player

40 views and not one reply... haha... I'll keep it to myself next time.

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

My de lists right now would be:

Fiora, tonight had to be his last chance, not up to it.

Rix: McEvoy should make him obsolete

L Fisher: game has past him by

M Ferguson: we never play him so why keep him

Gehrig and Harv's will or have retired.

Max sounds like he will go again and why not, he just gave the so called best player ever seen a bath tonight.

M Gardiner: wouldn't de list unless he decides to retire. Believe he would be required as a back up to King for at least another season.

Would not trade Dal or Kosi because I believe they can still be of value. Don't forget despite having a so so year Kosi still kicked 30 goals this year.

Would be looking to getting games into McEvoy and Stevens next year and have them doing intensive gym work to build their strength up for next year.

Try and get some more cheap trades like Schneider, Dempster and King again for next year.

Get Goose, X and Bakes fit.

Most importantly have a good 1st half the year in 2009 so that we are running with the leaders and not trying to catch the pack which has been the case every year since 2004.

We can't be satisfied with making a prelim, this loss has to hurt and hurt bad and drive this groups ambition to bigger and better things.

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

Do us all a favor

Mclaren RETIRE you are an insult to the game.

ThomasR
Club Player

Kosi is an integral part of this club and if you look at some of the ruckmen running around for other clubs he is a damn sight better than them. May not have lived up to #2 expectations but many don't. How many other players do we have that can take a contested mark? Fisher, Roo, Goddard. Excuse me if I missed any. Must NOT BE TRADED.

Dal, great skills, but how many rockets do you have to put up his backside, just doesn't naturally work hard enough and it shows in his inability to break tags. We really need another quality mid - looking who was in at times in the centre bounces tonight against the Hawks midfield was cringeworthy at times. We have to chase preferably Kerr and also Cousins hard - but in the case of the former, you need quality to get quality. Would like to keep him particularly if we can grab Cousins as it might relieve some pressure, otherwise see what value's out there.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

ThomasR wrote:Kosi is an integral part of this club and if you look at some of the ruckmen running around for other clubs he is a damn sight better than them. May not have lived up to #2 expectations but many don't. How many other players do we have that can take a contested mark? Fisher, Roo, Goddard. Excuse me if I missed any. Must NOT BE TRADED.

Dal, great skills, but how many rockets do you have to put up his backside, just doesn't naturally work hard enough and it shows in his inability to break tags. We really need another quality mid - looking who was in at times in the centre bounces tonight against the Hawks midfield was cringeworthy at times. We have to chase preferably Kerr and also Cousins hard - but in the case of the former, you need quality to get quality. Would like to keep him particularly if we can grab Cousins as it might relieve some pressure, otherwise see what value's out there.
Contested marks do not matter. There is 6 a game. He needs to do much more than grab a mark.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

3rd generation saint wrote:We can't be satisfied with making a prelim, this loss has to hurt and hurt bad and drive this groups ambition to bigger and better things.
they should attend the grand final en masse and have a good think about what they are missing and whether they really want to ultimately taste glory.

SaintWal
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
ThomasR wrote:Kosi is an integral part of this club and if you look at some of the ruckmen running around for other clubs he is a damn sight better than them. May not have lived up to #2 expectations but many don't. How many other players do we have that can take a contested mark? Fisher, Roo, Goddard. Excuse me if I missed any. Must NOT BE TRADED.

Contested marks do not matter. There is 6 a game. He needs to do much more than grab a mark.
Has he been carrying that knee since early in the year? I would make a bet that he will have surgery now the year is finished. People write this guy off at a whim.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SaintWal wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Has he been carrying that knee since early in the year? I would make a bet that he will have surgery now the year is finished. People write this guy off at a whim.
And what was wrong with him before that. All I keep saying is he is tradable as are most players and if you can strike a deal in you favour then go for it. Some people want to keep Kosi because he is a Saints player but in other threads we should trade Gwilt or X or others. I am pretty sure they are Saints players as well.

SaintWal
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
SaintWal wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

And what was wrong with him before that. All I keep saying is he is tradable as are most players and if you can strike a deal in you favour then go for it. Some people want to keep Kosi because he is a Saints player but in other threads we should trade Gwilt or X or others. I am pretty sure they are Saints players as well.
In this day and Age Plugger everyone is tradeable except those you won't get anything for. I may be a fool but I still believe we will see the best of Kosi in years too come. Trading is a game the clubs like to play but the clubs also do not give away much. What would we seriously get for Kosi? 2nd Round at best possibly 3rd? We know the potential the guy has so we should keep him instead of having a stab in the dark at picks 30 or 40.

ace
Saintsational Legend

Lets get real the following are Not of AFL Standard
Allen
Armitage
Ferguson
Fiora
L Fisher
C Gardiner
M Gardiner
Geary
Gwilt
Howard (& Rudd)
Rix
Eddy (R)
McQualter (R)

Past use by dqte
Gehrig

Too good for AFL
Harvey

Overpaid
The rest of the team

Retaining of any players from the first list is only as poor replacements for the rest of the team. They only help lose matches, they never win them.
There should be no salary cap problems if players were paid their true worth. Salaries should be paid on a comparison with Geelong basis.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote:Lets get real the following are Not of AFL Standard
Allen
Armitage
Ferguson
Fiora
L Fisher
C Gardiner
M Gardiner
Geary
Gwilt
Howard (& Rudd)
Rix
Eddy (R)
McQualter (R)

Past use by dqte
Gehrig

Too good for AFL
Harvey

Overpaid
The rest of the team

Retaining of any players from the first list is only as poor replacements for the rest of the team. They only help lose matches, they never win them.
There should be no salary cap problems if players were paid their true worth. Salaries should be paid on a comparison with Geelong basis.
dont think you are afl standard....

marksnsparks
Club Player

ace wrote:Lets get real the following are Not of AFL Standard
Allen
Armitage
Ferguson
Fiora
L Fisher
C Gardiner
M Gardiner
Geary
Gwilt
Howard (& Rudd)
Rix
Eddy (R)
McQualter (R)

Past use by dqte
Gehrig

Too good for AFL
Harvey

Overpaid
The rest of the team

Stupidest comment ever.

Thats right...lets get rid of the youth! and replace them with what?

With this strategy it's a good thing there is no relegation in AFL cause we'd be playing in the VAFA in no friggin time.

Get a grip ffs

ace
Saintsational Legend

By all means go for youth but they must be of AFL standard youth.
Even at my best I was never anywhere near AFL standard or any of standard at all. Now I can only walk sort of, but can't run jump or ski due to severe arthritis.

That's called honesty and honestly most of the youth that has been recruited in the last 5 drafts has been pathetic. They are the youth you retain if you want to join Melbourne at the bottom. They need to be replaced with youth of quality if you want to play in a grand final.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
jackal
Club Player

Gone:

Harvey (ret)
Gehrig (ret)

Delist

Fergs (had more then enough time)
L.Fisher (have to be harsh as we need to continue to improve the list)

We have to see what is on offer before we make any more changes but I'm sure there will be a couple.

I agree with Lyon's comments a few weeks back about our core group of players. He ha to stick with his word and those players

saintjake
Club Player

why would we delist so many players.
can always throw them in as sweeteners.

james rose
Club Player

anyone able to give insight into the future of the rookies and NSW kids