Raph Clarke ... turned his career around completely

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Legendary
Club Player

Raph Clarke ... turned his career around completely

8 weeks ago Raph was probably close to being delisted at season's end, even considering his personal situation.

He's copped a very ill father, a diagnosis of epilepsy and a huge wave of criticism and responded in a way he should be proud of.

Was in our best players both last week and this week in high pressure finals games.

Has become comfortable and confident at AFL level. Uses the ball well and attacks the game.

Congratulations to Raph on tonight's performance and the way he has turned everything around.

Credit to his character.

mick13
Club Player

Was great to see him do so well, no longer do we close our eyes when we get the ball... :P

Good luck to him, hope he can become a regular 22 player, and with the talent he has, hopefully a lot more than just a regular 22 player.

makemytime
Club Player

Hes turned out well and he was very tough today, taking many hits by the hawks and is one of our best in recent weeks. I can sort of see him becoming a kp defender, but like everyone else - needs a big preseason

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

i thought he struggled under the pressure tonight, especially early on

and what the hell was with the right foot banana as he was running the ball out of defense in the first quarter? horrible turn over

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

agreed Legendary. One of the few positives out of tonight. He looks so much more assured when he gets the footy and he's prepared to take blokes on in a way that he never used to.
If he can develop his overhead skills a bit more he'll turn into a really solid backman.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote:i thought he struggled under the pressure tonight, especially early on

and what the hell was with the right foot banana as he was running the ball out of defense in the first quarter? horrible turn over
He was great tonight.

Poor comment dud....Especially because your one of his haters.

The bloke played well, and is looking to finally find his feet at AFL.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

hey, i could have been alot harsher

is definately getting better, but still makes crucial errors

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote:i thought he struggled under the pressure tonight, especially early on

Your name does your posts justice.

Raph was good tonight.

“Yeah….nah””
linz
Club Player

Just wondering whether "The Dud" has changed his avatar as I haven't been following the sight for a while now.

He has a long way to go but he is looking more & more Winmarish as his game develops.

I once spent a year in Adelaide, I think it was on a Sunday.
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:

Raph was good tonight.
did i say he wasn't?

all i said was he struggled under the pressure at times

linz
Club Player

The_Dud wrote:
Teflon wrote:

Raph was good tonight.
did i say he wasn't?

As you are now :lol: :lol: :lol:

I once spent a year in Adelaide, I think it was on a Sunday.
RodKeoghsLoveChild
Club Player

I think he can be a really good player. He needs to work on his disposal. He looks to be a little more comfortable in his decision making which has really helped his game.

Defintately a plus for us in the latter half of the year.

Like a midget at a urinal, I was going to have to stay on my toes.
Saint Bev
SS Life Member

The_Dud wrote:
Teflon wrote:

Raph was good tonight.
did i say he wasn't?

Totally agree, he only plays well, againts lesser sides. Time to take the blinkers off.

Qld Saints Supporter Group
SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

These past two weeks he has added something to the side, as opposed to being carried with the hope that he wouldn't be a liability.

A strong pre-season and hopefully he can start from the word go in 09 and really get some form going.

Well done to him!

Raven
Club Player

A few months ago all my confidence had gone regarding Raph.

Now, it's flooding back, and I'm starting to feel safer when the ball is in his hands. If he can get a good preseason under his belt, it'll be a good thing.

I'm glad to have been proven wrong.
Last edited by Raven on Sun 21 Sep 2008 2:38am, edited 1 time in total.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Re: Raph Clarke ... turned his career around completely

Legendary wrote:Was in our best players both last week and this week in high pressure finals games.
agree. he shows a bit of daring and is prepared to back himself.

i can think of a few other timid souls who never make mistakes because they rarely venture anything.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

After watching him mid-year against the bendigo bombers when he was WOG I felt his footy days were over.....did not want to be there, similar to Barry Brooks body language a few years ago...I thought it was a pity, because he has ability...the following week he had a terrible first half against Tassie.....and the scorps were behind, Raph was moved to the wing and had a great third quarter.....set up 4 goals and turned the game...

Since getting back into the seniors he has hardly put a foot wrong and has earned his spot (or better) next season he will blossom IMO...

Along with a few others...

1eyedNever
Club Player

Really

Yep played 2 average games in 7 years
Just another below average player that will probly stay on our list for 5 more years for 2 more average games
Please trade for a real player

SKFC has now been confirmed as the AFLs BITCH
Winmar7Fan
Club Player

linz wrote:Just wondering whether "The Dud" has changed his avatar as I haven't been following the sight for a while now.

He has a long way to go but he is looking more & more Winmarish as his game develops.
Are you out of your mind? That's the biggest joke I've read on here not to mention Insult to Cuz. There's only one thing they have in common.

He is getting better but how can you compare his slow unco loping run and decision making to the pacey but silky, graceful moving Winmar with pinpoint accuracy off both feet? Not to mention about an extra 15 touches a game average as well.

Next you'll be saying Jason Blakes looking more like Dean Cox

derby Street
Club Player

Your name says it all - On this basis I expect to see 19 critical posts on the other saints players. Were you watching the game through the bottom of a glass ?

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Raph tried hard all night in a badly beaten team. Was indecisive at time however that was more due to the Saints lack of options upfield.

Put his body on the line and ran straight at the ball.

Not his best game but cant be faulted on endeavour and that is all you can ask of anyone.

Taling to some people last night, they seemed to think it may have been the medication he was on early this year for epilisy. Apparently the dose is large to get the condition under control and then is lessened to the individuals correct level.

Also apparently the medication can interfer with concentration and reactions. This certainly seemed the case with Raph. Early this year he looked slow, indecisive, and unable to make decisions. When he came back against Freo he looke decisive, sharp, and clear thinking. I had not seen a bigger transition in a player.

Anyway Raph should feel happy he has worked through his adversities and can only improve.

Now for X.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
JeffDunne

I don't think it was just earlier this year JB that he showed those flaws. However there's no doubt the diagnosis and learning to deal with the medication would have had a huge effect. I'm sure he's still learning to deal with it in all aspects of his life (hope he keeps those Mad Monday celebrations in check)

Confidence is the difference and knowing your coach and club and will stick by you.

I've never doubted his ability but I had serious doubts about his self-belief.

One of the real positives this season and I couldn't be happier for him.

bergsone
SS Life Member

RC copped a couple of HEAVY knocks last night and kept going,one area of his game I doubted was the effort when things arent going your way.Credit where credit is due,just hope he can now CONTINUE the improvement he is now showing

stevos2151
Club Player

I will never doubt Raph Clarke again. Has shown that he can handle playing on the big stage against the best teams under pressure.
Thank you Raph for providing some hope during this pathetic final series

realdeal
Club Player

[quote="Saint Bev

Totally agree, he only plays well, againts lesser sides. Time to take the blinkers off.[/quote]

when i left the ground ast night Hawks weren't a lesser side and Raph was one of our best, just like he's been for a while now.

If we had a few more players that could get the ball and try and be creative and run like he has lately we wouldn't have been so bad last night.

Things are definatly looking up for him.

C'mon folks give credit where credit is due