The Reality is......

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Trunch
Club Player

The Reality is......

I think we are probably the 4th best team in the competition. The problem with that is we are no where near the three above us. When we look back on this season and our finals series what we will see? Smashed by Geelong, smashed by Hawthorn and beat an very young injury depleted and inexperienced Collingwood.

We have to go down to go up. No more "ready made " players from other clubs, no more "top up" players our list needs to improve from the bottom up. We have the superstars but fall away badly after this.

I am not posting this to pot blokes but our bottom 6-8 does not match it with the best sides in the comp. Roo, BJ, Fisher, Lenny and Max can not carry us.

I also don't want to get on here and smash Fiora but........ we lose alot of games when he is in the side. Not saying one man is responseable for the loss tonight but more like a bad luck cham. We played our best footy this year when he was out of the side. Can anyone find out how many games we won with him in the side compared to him being out of the side?

Remain educated on the game, stay loyal to St.Kilda
battye
Saintsational Legend

I agree with the no more "ready made" players, but then again guys like Steven King, Adam Schnieder and Sean Dempster fall into that category, and they are some of our better players.

I guess it depends on who... King, Schnieder and Dempster were all established players... "big name" to a certain degree.

Guys like Charlie Gardiner though, well, I'd never heard of him before. And while he tries hard and I like the way he goes about it, he's not a first 22 player IMO.

Feature article: KFC's "Double Down" burger!

TV Ratings: Hey Hey It's Saturday ratings overview

Do you know what C# is? .NET? Then you need to know this: XSD
Legendary
Club Player

Jack Steven
David Armitage
Jarryn Geary
Robert Eddy
Ben McEvoy
Jarryd Allen
Luke Miles
Eljay Connors

We have a good strong group of young players coming through ... give them another 12 months and most of those will be part of our side ....

List is in good shape.

battye
Saintsational Legend

I'm really worried about Eddy in particular... in the past few weeks I really haven't seen anything that would suggest he has what it takes to become anything other than #25-#28 sort of player.

As I said in another thread, it's too early to write him (and Geary and Allen for that matter) off, but signs don't look good IMO. Of those in the list (that have debuted) only Armitage seems to have that X-factor, he looks promising.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Re: The Reality is......

Trunch wrote:IWe have to go down to go up. No more "ready made " players from other clubs, no more "top up" players our list needs to improve from the bottom up. We have the superstars but fall away badly after this.
spot on. get some games into the kids.

SAINT JUMP
Club Player

armo with 4 poss looks the x factor :o

Legendary
Club Player

Lenny looked great 20 games into his career with 4 possessions too ...

Give 'em time ... we have some talented youngsters ...

battye
Saintsational Legend

SAINT JUMP wrote:armo with 4 poss looks the x factor :o
Haha, not from tonight's game. From games earlier this year.

St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

battye wrote:I'm really worried about Eddy in particular... in the past few weeks I really haven't seen anything that would suggest he has what it takes to become anything other than #25-#28 sort of player.
Yes but the same was said about Goddard. Give him time ;)

When they created LENNY HAYES (in the shadow of Harvs) they forgot to break the mold (again)- hence the Supremely Incredible Jack Steven!!
mick13
Club Player

SAINT JUMP wrote:armo with 4 poss looks the x factor :o
4 touches haha.

But look at those tackles and attack on the ball.

Another pre season into him, cant expect a 10 gamer to do well in a prelim against a very good side.

Anyways yeah, take a full load of kids and rookies this year, if we draft well and keep the core the same, we got a good team for a few years.

Saint Bev
SS Life Member

FOr Gods sake lets not start bagging Armo. Other players, ok Raph, How long have they been with us now. 4 long years. Hardly setting the world on fire. Only time he plays well is against poor quality teams, then everyone screams how good he is. Not that he is alone.

Qld Saints Supporter Group
Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

St. Luke wrote:
battye wrote:I'm really worried about Eddy in particular... in the past few weeks I really haven't seen anything that would suggest he has what it takes to become anything other than #25-#28 sort of player.
Yes but the same was said about Goddard. Give him time ;)
different players...do i have to point out the stupidity in that comment?

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
coolingbaba
Club Player

Saint Bev wrote:FOr Gods sake lets not start bagging Armo. Other players, ok Raph, How long have they been with us now. 4 long years. Hardly setting the world on fire. Only time he plays well is against poor quality teams, then everyone screams how good he is. Not that he is alone.
Raphael Clarke has been in top 6 best the past 2 weeks! Tonight he played well...provided run through the middle a number of times. For once can we lay off R Clarke.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

Legendary wrote:Jack Steven
David Armitage
Jarryn Geary
Robert Eddy
Ben McEvoy
Jarryd Allen
Luke Miles
Eljay Connors

We have a good strong group of young players coming through ... give them another 12 months and most of those will be part of our side ....

List is in good shape.
Have to be honest here - not one of them looks like being a top ten player of a top four team - not one!
Hope to god i'm wrong!

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Saint Bev wrote:FOr Gods sake lets not start bagging Armo. Other players, ok Raph, How long have they been with us now. 4 long years. Hardly setting the world on fire. Only time he plays well is against poor quality teams, then everyone screams how good he is. Not that he is alone.
Hey there, you seem to have it in for raph all of a sudden? He's still got a way to go, was surely one of our best last night?

claystreet
Club Player

Raph was my second pick for us last night and played well, could be a gun.

My Top 2 for last night
1:Max
2:Raph

8-)

St DAC
SS Hall of Fame

You could add Goddard and Sam Fisher as well. They were under seige, and performed quite well considering the amount of ball coming into their area.

Roo tried his backside off, but had no room to move, and slow incoming ball hampered all our forwards.
Last edited by St DAC on Sun 21 Sep 2008 10:07am, edited 1 time in total.

derby Street
Club Player

Bev I always considered you thought a bit about your posts ???? Raph has been good in recent weeks and was easily in our best. I know Armo is a Qld boy and you do feel you must stick up for him but the fact is he can get the ball with Casey but can't get anywhere near it in the big league. He will improve BUT has to work on his endurance especially.. Eddy - not sure whether he will ever be good enough, perhaps a 22 - 28 rater at best. McQ - gone not good enough.