How a Kiwi comedian learned to love the Saints

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Badlands
Club Player

Bit of light-heartedness to calm the nerves for those that haven't heard/read this one before:

By Cal Wilson
3:35 AM Sat 20 September, 2008

New Zealand comedian Cal Wilson is a passionate convert to Australian football. She even did a Melbourne International Comedy Festival show, Up There Cal Wilson, about how she chose which AFL team to support.

I NEVER expected to like AFL, let alone fall passionately in love with the Saints, because a) as a Kiwi it’s mandatory to love rugby union, and b) I have never been into sport. I am the least sporty person in the world – I’ve always been too unco and puny to attempt any sort of sporting activity. At school I was one of those sickly kids who wasn’t strong enough to get asthma.

I also have to tell you that, traitorously, I HATE rugby union (which is why I’ve had to defect to Australia). Union to me is just too brutal – it’s like watching farm machinery fight. In fact the first thing that intrigued me about footy in contrast to rugby, is that footy players start pretty – and stay pretty; whereas rugby players start pretty, play one game, and it’s like an airbag has gone off in their neck. Rugby players aren’t attractive: I don’t like cauliflower in a cheese sauce and I don’t like it in an ear.

Moving to Melbourne, I realised I’d never get a handle on this town unless I found a footy team, and chose my tribe. I wanted to be sure about choosing the right team too, because it pretty quickly became clear that you can change your wife, your husband, your car, your house, your gender – but you CAN’T CHANGE YOUR TEAM.

Everyone I talked to said: “Pick who you like ... as long as it’s not Collingwood.â€

"I'm in the middle of a long conversation with my audience. It'll be a lifelong journey for both of us by the time we're done." - Bruce Springsteen.
saint vince
Club Player

go the sailors.

No1_Saint
Club Player

A noble choice...from a fellow kiwi. :D

BakesFan
SS Life Member

hmm..... a smart kiwi?...how can that be possible?? :wink: ...

maybe that Particle Accelerator in Switzerland did create a Black Hole and we've been spun into some bizarre alternate Universe.
You have to admit, things have been going The Saints way since they first fired it up.

Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.(Eleanor Roosevelt)
st_nick
Club Player

unfortunately, the picture alongside the article shows Cal wearing a Geelong guernsey... :?

stmac35
Club Player

A lot has been said about Harvs. But I reckon it's a first for any footballer to be claimed as somebody's 'other husband'. lol
Carn the Sailors!!!

THE GREAT MAN - ROBERT HARVEY
St Michele
Club Player

This closer to me than I first thought, being a kiwi too although I started barracking for them because some guy gave me a scarf when I was 16 not long after I arrived and told me it was the best eam to support ( I wonder if he realises now 30 years later the high and lows he has sentenced me too in my life) . Now I realise it is also because I am married to a sailor ( well ex now lol)

I loved it although interestingly I actually thoguht aussie rules was much rougher than rugby.

Maybe there are more expat kiwi supporters ( most of my family are Saints supporters except the feral one who is a Carlton supporter)

Come on the sailors!!!
Michele

OneEyedSainter77
SS Life Member

Great aritcle. "Carn the sailors!" Great stuff! :lol:

Rowdy
Club Player

A good read, needed a laugh. 8-)

"Our season is still alive," Lyon said. "It's not the end for Robert."

Harvey's mates stood listening to those words, perhaps planning to keep the AFL's longest career lingering a while yet. Then turned into softcocks and blew it YET again.
esaint66
SS Life Member

BakesFan wrote:hmm..... a smart kiwi?...how can that be possible?? :wink: ...

Hey i'm Kiwi and i support the Sailors :evil: :wink: :lol:

esaint66
SS Life Member

st_nick wrote:unfortunately, the picture alongside the article shows Cal wearing a Geelong guernsey... :?

Did have the Saint's shorts on though :wink:

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Cal Wilson is an ordinary human being according to my very reliable sources.

I wish she supported someone else.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Leo.J
SS Life Member

joffaboy wrote:Cal Wilson is an ordinary human being according to my very reliable sources.

I wish she supported someone else.
Maybe being a Saint will change her???

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Great article, excellent read :lol: :lol:

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
saint_mite
SS Hall of Fame

I've met her a few times, she's always been nice.
Glad she's a sainter :)