Great news from Goose

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

n1ck
Saintsational Legend

Was drafted as a forward.

Only played one game in the forward line, I believe, and another one or two pinch hitting in the ruck before finding his spot at CHB.

I believe he could go forward to provide a very useful strong, leading forward.

St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

The Goose has guts and a big heart! He'll make it back to mix it with our best! I'm rapt he's been given the all clear! :D :D

When they created LENNY HAYES (in the shadow of Harvs) they forgot to break the mold (again)- hence the Supremely Incredible Jack Steven!!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

n1ck wrote:Was drafted as a forward.

Only played one game in the forward line, I believe, and another one or two pinch hitting in the ruck before finding his spot at CHB.

I believe he could go forward to provide a very useful strong, leading forward.
Well the guy I saw go forward on some ocassions looked a lot like Goose and he didnt look like doing any damage.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Grants assessment of Goose when he was in full flight wasn't as flattering as one would have expected....

I can't see him improving greatly on Grant's assessment but all the same i hope he can come back and justify his spot......

The list changes for 2025 have begun, always an interesting time for an avid supporter.
BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

People are awfully ready to write off Maguire.

Big, strong, good straight line speed, excellent closing speed, great marking, good vertical leap, 60 meter kick. 24/25 years old (can't be bothered looking it up)...

After nearly 2 years out, we've gone to great lengths to cover that position, but whether it be forward (and his goalkicking would need to improve, he's a bit ala Grammy that he loves the 60 metre shots, which are spectacular enough to cover for not actually being very accurate) or back (I don't buy this "the game has passed him by" nonsense. The same things that made him a dangerous 2 way player in the past still will), writing him off seems very premature.

He was dissapointing when playing in '08, but with his skills, I'd be very hesitant to write him off until I absolutely had to.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
To the top
SS Life Member

Just to buy in again, it would be great to have him able to play CHB, defend his opponent as necessary and attack the ball whenever the opportunity arises.

The real reason for this is that it releases Sam Fisher to a half-back-flank where he would be a sensational player.

A back line of :-

Gilbert Hudgden Dempster
S. Fisher Maguire Blake

with 2 of those (S. Fisher and Gilbert) being able to alternate with R. Clarke thru the mid-field would set us up - and particularly if we can recruit another tall, athletic and mobile defender to groom for a key position (plus as insurance for Max).

The bonus in this is that it releases Goddard to the mid-field, where I am convinced he will become a more damaging and dominating player.

We have to cover Harvey, so Gram and Goddard and R. Clarke are the obvious ones to step up, and they each improve our goal kicking options out of the mid-field.

But CHB is the only position Maguire could make his own.

Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

GOOSE IS KING :D :D :D :D :D

Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

[quote][code][list][/list][/code][/quote]