I'm totally gobsmacked...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

I'm totally gobsmacked...

I can understand everyone tipping the Cats against us...

I can understand the Cats' flag favouritism...

I can understand no one expecting the Dogs to win...

But I'm gobsmacked that 99% of people reckon Hawks are a shoe-in.

Normally, I ignore media predictions, but gee, am I missing something here?

Or are they so blinded by their "Buddy Love"? :roll:

Granted that the Hawks wre the 2nd best team throughout the year, but...

Tell me I'm not being a blind optimist. Surely, we'd be at least a 50/50 chance of winning tomorrow?

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
True Blue Sainter
Club Player

Did anyone else notice on the advertisement for the game on Channel 10 there's no mention of the Saints? Just whether the Hawks can make it through and if Buddy will fire?

We are receiving no media attention whatsoever, and have very little expectation placed upon us.... These are the games we tend to excel in. And yes, I reckon we're about a 50-50 chance also 8-)

The Saints are coming!
degruch
Saintsational Legend

Jonathan and Nathan Brown (last night on the footy show) both tipped the Hawks, but said it was almost too close to call. Otherwise, I'm gobsmacked too. Anyone who claims they're a 40 point+ shoe-in has absolutely no idea and probably picked the Hawks to win because the like their colours.

chook23
Saintsational Legend

Re: I'm totally gobsmacked...

WayneJudson42 wrote:I can understand everyone tipping the Cats against us...

Tell me I'm not being a blind optimist. Surely, we'd be at least a 50/50 chance of winning tomorrow?
Check your statement............see AGE tipping and margins etc

Yes Hawks are favoured and should be but your claim is over the top

saint4life
perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

81.25% in The Age, not counting the dog. And, of course, Robert Walls tips us every week.

Looks pretty one sided to me.

Sobraz
SS Life Member

agree, it seems that noone rates us despite a great second half of the year, discounting the WC debacle...

TBH, i dont mind flying this low under the radar... surely the players no it, and will want to prove all the doubters wrong, and it may also lull the hawks into a semi-false sense of security... it may be a 1% different mindset, but it counts...

We have done our apprentiship, 3 out of the last 5 prelims... Hawks are in the first of recent time... It is our time to take the next step... 6 out of the las 7 agaisnt them holds us in good sted also...

Im confident we will win, and win well....

markp
Saintsational Legend

I'm happy with it, I hope they all believe it... :twisted:

python
Club Player

from the hawthorn supporters ive spoken to, all seem concerned as we seem to match up well with them

most other supporters seem to think hawks easy

what irritates me is that most are discounting our performance against them last time, when we smashed them in the second half, most ive spoken to say 'hawks thought they had it in the bag and didnt come out to play second half, and that was their wake up call' well i think thats bulls***!!!

im nervous about this game though, but not as concerned as last week when the sick feeling in my stomach convinced me that collingwood were going to beat us! thank god it was wrong! but itll be a tough game

and i think we are playing 10 times better than last time and i cant really say the same for them!

Superboot
SS Life Member

Many of The Age writers have the Hawks winning by about one goal.

You could have everyone on the planet tipping the Hawks by one point but they'd all have to admit that we're a chance :wink:

mandystkilda

:roll: of course we have a 50/50 chance on saturday.
I quite honestly prefer the media hype to be on stupid hawthorn (i mean team buddy....lol :lol: ).
All we have to do is yell, scream, and cheer louder than the other lot. If Harv's is the motivation to cheer our team into next week then lets do that. Lets not forget that we are just as good and have just as good a chance so the media can * off and go away because we don't care what they think!

LETS GO SAINTS YOU ROCK 8-)
MAX IS A LEGEND :D
HARVEY IS A KING OF LEGENDS 8-) 8-) 8-) :wink:

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Superboot wrote:Many of The Age writers have the Hawks winning by about one goal.

You could have everyone on the planet tipping the Hawks by one pioint but they'd all have to admit that we're a chance :wink:
Well that sounds more sensible. Of course, we could all say we're gonna win by 30 points again, and there's a pretty good chance of it. There is very little chance of the Hawks winning by 20+ IMO. I'm most concerned that it's gonna turn into a flood-fest, as the Hawks know they'll get blown out of the water by our forwards if they don't...particularly if there's no Croad.

St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

We've definately been written off against the Hawks. But given much better odds than the Doggies :lol:

As far as I’m concerned, If you’re thrown in a pit with a hungry Lion, you don’t just roll into a ball and get eaten, you fight and give yourself some chance of beating your opponent regardless of those odds.

Sometimes there elements in a playing group that can’t be measured or analysed accurately by producing wads of datasheets. I mean, how can you measure the drive placed behind our Saints when referring to the “Harvey factorâ€

When they created LENNY HAYES (in the shadow of Harvs) they forgot to break the mold (again)- hence the Supremely Incredible Jack Steven!!
fonz_#15
SS Life Member

i don't understand why people care. everybody has an opinion and they are paid to give it. if they tip the hawks then that is there choice and if we win they look stupid.

just worry about supporting the team :roll:

Robert Harvey- Simply the best
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Really it doesn't matter. All the experts tipped us for the GF after our preseason win - then jumped off in a huff mid season - then jumped on when we made the four - then jumped off when we got thrashed by yhr Cates - then jumped on when we beat Collingwood - then jumped off as the game gets closer. :D

Funniest one was Dopey Denham on KB's show this morning.

Hawks would win because

1) Hawks are a better team than last time they met the Saints

(Even though all the Stats show that the Saints are a much better team as well - we have Roo playing better, Dal in better form, Raph who didn't even play killing them, and Sam Gilbert in fine form)

2) Blake won the game for the Saints last time and wont do it again

(Apart from the fact that Roo kicked 6 and Buddy was held to three, Kosi and King were both having shockers in the ruck therfore the reason Blake was put there - Kosi and King are playing much better, and Blake is now giving run out of defence)

3) 6 out of the last seven means nothing - it is the record of the two coaches that is relevant.
( umm Greg - RL has a 2-1 record against Clarkson and the one lost was when we had twenty three fit players)

But then again Dopey Denham was the clown that reckoned Kosi should be rubbed out because Waklins head hit the ground in that tackle :D :D

What a goose.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

Re: I'm totally gobsmacked...

chook23 wrote:
WayneJudson42 wrote:I can understand everyone tipping the Cats against us...

Check your statement............see AGE tipping and margins etc

Yes Hawks are favoured and should be but your claim is over the top
WTF? Take a look at the betting... and the HUN, and tv shows etc. Why over the top?? :roll:

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

fonz_#15 wrote:i don't understand why people care. everybody has an opinion and they are paid to give it. if they tip the hawks then that is there choice and if we win they look stupid.

Thanks for the tip mum. Can't do much more than be a member for 35+ years. :roll:

Read the entire post. Actually, I'm don't give a rat's who thinks we'll win. I am however surprised that tthe large majority of "experts" have written us off. Most said the same thing last week.

fonz_#15
SS Life Member

WayneJudson42 wrote:
fonz_#15 wrote:i don't understand why people care. everybody has an opinion and they are paid to give it. if they tip the hawks then that is there choice and if we win they look stupid.

Thanks for the tip mum. Can't do much more than be a member for 35+ years. :roll:

Read the entire post. Actually, I'm don't give a rat's who thinks we'll win. I am however surprised that tthe large majority of "experts" have written us off. Most said the same thing last week.
i read the entire post and it sounds like you care what they think. worry about the things that matgter FFS

clarky449
Saintsational Legend

Luke Darcy reckons the hawks will win by 10 goals

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
fonz_#15
SS Life Member

clarky449 wrote:Luke Darcy reckons the hawks will win by 10 goals
good on him

degruch
Saintsational Legend

fonz_#15 wrote:
good on him
Probably picked the Dogs to win too, right?

fonz_#15
SS Life Member

degruch wrote:
fonz_#15 wrote:
good on him
i assume so. who gives a flying f*** who the media pick lets smash em saints

degruch
Saintsational Legend

fonz_#15 wrote:
degruch wrote:
fonz_#15 wrote:
good on him
i assume so. who gives a flying f*** who the media pick lets smash em saints
Language mum.

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

fonz_#15 wrote:
WayneJudson42 wrote:

i read the entire post and it sounds like you care what they think. worry about the things that matgter FFS
Get a grip son. Who made you prez of what we can post?? If you don't get the context of the post... you don't get it... simple.

Go and annoy someone else. :roll:

noob
Club Player

if richmond beat them this year why can't any team? lol

fonz_#15
SS Life Member

i'm not the "prez" of anything at all, but why don't you post something of interest.

lets have a look at the front page of the forum shall we..

we have your great thread about being gobsmacked by the press thinking we will lose when hawthorn have been second best all year to geelong whilst we have spent time outside the 8.

we have a thread whinging that the hawks are getting the pre match press and that buddy is rather predictably the focus.

we have a thread whinging about the general public saying we won't win

we have a thread whinging that michale turner wants the hawks and the cats to square off in the grand final

a thread whinging aout caro

and a thread whinging about the cats being arrogant.

why don't we talk about football and not crap. there are about 10 posters tops who say anything relatively readable on this site and the rest just moan about how the media hates us, the world hates us etc.

lets just worry about the things that are important