Cousins now made eligible for PSD only..

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Cousins now made eligible for PSD only..

The AFL has now indicated that Cousins does not have to enter the National Draft and can go into the PSD only...

You would think that if he is picked up that it would only be by those teams seeing themselves in the GF window over the next one or two seasons...Saints included.

Pies will of course have a pick before us....so our Semi-final win may be known in future years as the Ben Cousins Cup. with the novel twist that the loser got the prize :wink:

Pre-season draft makes Ben Cousins deal more likely
Jon Ralph | September 17, 2008 12:00am

BEN Cousins' return has been made easier by confirmation he can enter the pre-season draft if re-registered by the AFL Commission. Cousins had been led to believe he would be forced into the lottery of the national draft, leaving him unable to nominate his preferred club.

The pre-season draft gives him more power to deal with any suitor.

Only a few clubs are usually involved in the December 16 draft. Most of the bottom-eight teams are unlikely to be interested in Cousins.

It means his new club - likely to be in the premiership window - could agree to terms and be confident of securing him.

Cousins will return to Melbourne soon, before meeting AFL medical officers.

He will attend the Brownlow Medal on Monday.

After last year's circus surrounding his sacking by the Eagles and deregistration by the AFL commission, his management is determined to fly under the radar.

Cousins must apply to the AFL Commission to be re-registered after being banned last November for bringing the game into disrepute.

AFL chief executive Andrew Demetriou has said he expected Cousins would meet the Commission.

Cousins' first step will be to write to the AFL asking to be re-registered.

The league yesterday confirmed that it had told his management that he would not need to enter the national draft if cleared to play.

"No, the precedent has applied with Paul Salmon and Tony Lockett. They were out of the competition and then returned," AFL spokesman Patrick Keane said.

"The rule is there for someone who has been listed. In both those cases, they retired and left the competition and came back (through the pre-season draft)."

Clubs will not have to give up a valuable national draft selection to secure Cousins, and risk losing an 18-year-old future talent.

A raft of teams is digging into the details of Cousins' rehabilitation as they consider the risk of drafting him.

Cousins turned 30 in June but, despite the hamstring strain that ended his controversial 2007 season with West Coast, he has been an extremely durable player.

He averaged 21 games a year from the start of his career until 2006, having missed six games with a back injury in 2004, and five with an ankle in 2000.

But with clubs still nervous over his past controversies, it remains to be seen whether many will be keen to sign him.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Saintschampions08
Club Player

If we get a chance to pick him up - and we don't in the PSD, we're robbing ourselves

saintsrus
SS Hall of Fame

Saintschampions08 wrote:If we get a chance to pick him up - and we don't in the PSD, we're robbing ourselves
Just hope other clubs see him as too much of a risk, really dont think the pies will touch him now because of Didak/Shaw.

Before Im 85
MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

saintsRrising wrote:
MCG-Unit wrote:Surely he would go into the PSD -
29 August

Surely?

Well according to the media the AFL have stated that he can only go into the National Draft.

No Contract, No contact :shock:
stinger
Saintsational Legend

he will be playing in r w and b next year mate.....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Beekay
SS Life Member

stinger wrote:he will be playing in r w and b next year mate.....
You seem quite confident, my good friend.

I certainly hope he is at the Saints next year.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

friend?????........friend????????....... :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :wink: :lol: 8-)

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

MCG-Unit wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:
29 August

Surely?

Well according to the media the AFL have stated that he can only go into the National Draft.
Thanks for the old quote of my accurate post of what was released at the time..

HOWEVER it is a NEW announcement from the AFL which is opposite to THEIR earlier announcement that he had to go into the National Draft and would only be in the PSD if he was passed over in the National Draft.....

"Cousins had been led to believe he would be forced into the lottery of the national draft, leaving him unable to nominate his preferred club. "
Last edited by saintsRrising on Wed 17 Sep 2008 10:48am, edited 1 time in total.

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

"....No, the precedent has applied with Paul Salmon and Tony Lockett. They were out of the competition and then returned," AFL spokesman Patrick Keane said.

"The rule is there for someone who has been listed. In both those cases, they retired and left the competition and came back (through the pre-season draft)....."

'Led to believe' is not really an announcement is it ??

Doesn't read like a new ruling to me.....

But thanks for talking to people as if they are dullards :shock:

No Contract, No contact :shock:
The Saintsational Man
Club Player

I'll believe he will play with us.

Will be interesting to see all those who said they'd stop supporting the club, should he ever wear a Saints jersey.

I'm wondering how all those people are feeling right now?

What team will they pick?

Bandwagon Geelong?

:lol:

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

MCG-Unit wrote:"....No, the precedent has applied with Paul Salmon and Tony Lockett. They were out of the competition and then returned," AFL spokesman Patrick Keane said.

"The rule is there for someone who has been listed. In both those cases, they retired and left the competition and came back (through the pre-season draft)....."

Why dullards?

All I posted was what the AFL released at the time.

My apologies if your ego is that fragile that you cannot tolerate a poster simply posting what was released and asking for explanation on a matter where there was contradicting information.
Last edited by saintsRrising on Wed 17 Sep 2008 11:10am, edited 1 time in total.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

MCG-Unit wrote:"....No, the precedent has applied with Paul Salmon and Tony Lockett. They were out of the competition and then returned," AFL spokesman Patrick Keane said.

'Led to believe' is not really an announcement is it ??

I just looked back in the original string and you did not post the above in it..

Seriously why the chip on your shoulder?

All I asked was why surely? ...as the AFL had just reported that he had to nominate for ND.

Asking why surely? is an invitation for you to put up information why...which you have not done till today in this new string.

I would add that I started this thread as the article was contrary to the previous AFL report on the matter...hence my post

If you knew definately that he could only go into the PSD only all you had to do was publish the source or reason.

I do not see why you regard my question as unreasonable...or as a put down?

I also note that you agreed with Batnoe's clarification below...a clarification which according to the new release is actually incorrect.

MCG-Unit wrote:
Batnoe wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:
Surely?

I think he has to nominate for the draft as he has had a year out, if he doesn't get picked up there he can get picked up in PSD

All players that arent selected in National draft go into PSD

However if there is a delisting after the National draft a player can then nominate for PSD without being in ND as they are already in the AFL system which Benny is not

However he can name his price in the ND- unlike a rookie so most clubs might pass on him
Thanks Batnoe, that's sort of what I meant - he may not nominte for the Nat Draft.... :shock:

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

MCG-Unit wrote:"

....Doesn't read like a new ruling to me.....

:
As I posted back at the time of the original thread the AFL was stating that Cousins had to come back via the National Draft.....my post was accurate

If you knew otherwise all I was asking that you post why...which you did not do then.

I would also note that the AFL's latest release is clearly the opposite of it's earlier comments on the Cousins matter!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.thewest.com.au/default.aspx? ... ntID=95066

Cousins on national draft countdown

30th August 2008, 12:15 WST

November 12 looms as the critical date for any Ben Cousins bid to return to the AFL — the deadline to nominate for the national draft.

AFL chief executive Andrew Demetriou confirmed yesterday in Perth that the draft was Cousins’ only way back into top-level football.

“He has actually got to nominate for the national draft because at the moment he is deregistered,â€
Last edited by saintsRrising on Wed 17 Sep 2008 12:21pm, edited 1 time in total.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Was listening to SEN yesterday, and they were saying should the comeback story be successful, Cousins will be a very marketable option for a club. They are confident that if Ben makes smooth transition back into AFL, people would be willing to forgive his off field behaviour....

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

Sure makes it easier to get him IMO.

Unless the Pies make a major play, I reckon we'll be fine.

You'd expect Collywobbles to target Kerr before Cuz.

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
markp
Saintsational Legend

Surely too hard for the filth to take on another potentially troubled child right now... and surely he doesn't need such a high profile club?

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

WayneJudson42 wrote:
You'd expect Collywobbles to target Kerr before Cuz.
Yes..as would we...but trade pick price may rule both clubs out unless the Pies do decide to offload Didak...who I have a feeling they will keep now.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

The Filth will take him if they can IMO. They'd be mad not to, esp as he doesn't cost a pick in the National draft and can be picked up cheaply in the PSD.
Media reports say that Cousins has been talking to Malthouse and they have a pick before us. I'd take him for sure if the opportunity was there.

Cro
Club Player

Can PSD draft picks be traded?

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

WayneJudson42 wrote:Sure makes it easier to get him IMO.

I agree...but I do not think that we would be the only club interested in his services.

Blues.... Judd will say no way???

Tigers..you would think that they would stick with youth.

Dogs...do not really needa mid asa priorty as they have many...

Crows....Cannot see Ben going to Adlaide...Small Big Fish in Smaller City (with only 2 teams) Syndrome...

Swans.....could be a dark horse and their pick is prior to ours...but will Ben want to live in Sydney? Will the Swans see themselves in the GF next year..or will they go more for mini-rebuild to push ina couple of years?

Pies... they definately want more midfield class..and will see themselves as being better next year just from their kids being older. I would be very surprised if they did not push for Ben. I wonder how Malthouse and Ben got on previously...it could bea pro or a con.

Hawks....if we get over them the Hawks may consider that what they need to wina flag is more finals experience and Ben offers this.

Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

Cro wrote:Can PSD draft picks be traded?
who are we trading for picks? first

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Cro wrote:Can PSD draft picks be traded?
I do not believe so.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote:The Filth will take him if they can IMO. They'd be mad not to, esp as he doesn't cost a pick in the National draft and can be picked up cheaply in the PSD.
Media reports say that Cousins has been talking to Malthouse and they have a pick before us. I'd take him for sure if the opportunity was there.
Yes..my thought was that the loser of the Pies/Saints match would gain Cousins.

Red
Club Player

With Cousins going into the PSD he will be able to name his own price.

Which means he will go to the club of his choice.

David Mundy has told the dockers he wants to go back to Melbourne.

I would like to have a go at him. Can play back or midfield which will allow

us a lot more flexibility.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
st.byron wrote:The Filth will take him if they can IMO. They'd be mad not to, esp as he doesn't cost a pick in the National draft and can be picked up cheaply in the PSD.
Yes..my thought was that the loser of the Pies/Saints match would gain Cousins.
Yes sRr, as another poster said, the Saints / Pies match could also be called the Ben Cousins Cup. Would be an excellent addition to any mid-field IMO. Absolute gut runner and hard at it and whilst I hated him with a passion in a WCE jumper, (as I do any player in a WCE jumper) will be pleased if the cards fall our way.