Key Hawks to stop - More than Buddy

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

older saint
SS Life Member

Key Hawks to stop - More than Buddy

While Buddy is a freak and may cause significant anxst on the weekend there are many others which control supply who in some ways are more important than Buddy.

Sewell , Bateman, are 2 that get under everyones guard. Sewell will go to hayes, but he wins his own ball and hurts opposition so we must be aware of that.
Bateman is there run and i think must be tagged, If Jones does not go to Hodge at halfback then i think he would be a good matchup for Bateman.

Mitchell is obvious and look for McQualter or perhaps even hayes to go head to head.

Cannot let Hodge play half back on no one as his diposal will kill us. I would even try lining Dal up at half forward and make Hodge match up on him.

boneless23
Club Player

I think the match ups should be as follows:

Buddy- Max (A), Fisher (B), Gilbert (C)....I am hoping we only need plan A.

Roughy- Blake.

Williams- Gilbert. If he is carving us up early like he did in Rd 16, moving Max on to him would be an option.

Cyril- CJ. Same job as last week for CJ. Make him hurt early.

Mitchell- Mini. Pressure his disposal. He can become a clanger king meaning his usual 35 possessions will be actuallly good for us.

Hodge- Gwilt (A) Birss (B). Offensive tag. Need to make him accountable.

The rest go head to head. Sewell and Batemen are dangerous but no more so than Dal, Lenny, Ball, BJ, Banger, Gram and Joey (I am loving the depth of this rotation!!)

Hawthorn dont normally give their guys dedicated tagging jobs (and dont have a known tagger) so I am hoping this will free up Dal through the middle. His good form on Saturday night and our clean entry into the forward 50 was no co-incidence!!

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

There aren't any particular players who we can shut down and win the game. We need accountability on Mitchell, Hodge, Bateman, Sewell, Guerra, Crawford, Rioli, Williams etc. The Hawks have plenty of potential matchwinners, so we just need an even effort around the ground and to stop them from moving the ball freely.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Dempster did a job against the hawks last time, anyone remember who it was?

Griggsy
SS Life Member

i have a gut feeling buddy will kick 2.7 for the game. Not sure about Roughead.

Young Georgie
Club Player

While not big names as such both Osborne and Lewis are big dangers and cannot go unnoticed or like they did against the Doggies in QF2 will hurt going forward and on the scoreboard.

Crawford's another that can hurt by receiving wide and hitting a forward target - they look for him a lot.

All not massive possession winners but all use the ball well.

Again, it is a case of being accountable. The Hawks pressure last time the Saints played them was extreme in the first half and it showed all around the ground and on the scoreboard. Can't let them get the jump and must get that running, risk-taking game going immediately so they don't bog us down forcing the chips and the errors.

Graceful, elusive, strong overhead and no Easybeat!