Casey vs Werribee - Semi Final Match Thread

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Pretty sure that MG has retired after the game today. Did that ccome up on any news?
not yet

but maybe footy classified tonight
it was reported in inside football a couple of weeks ago

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
saintbob
SS Life Member

Steven caught the eye today, in and under and very quick .

Still might be a smokey if Bally doesn't come up, especially with Lenny being a bit sore.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintbob wrote:Steven caught the eye today, in and under and very quick .

Still might be a smokey if Bally doesn't come up, especially with Lenny being a bit sore.

What is wrong with Lenny? Bally will play next week which is great news.

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

Lenny was sick before the game but played under duress (& played very well).

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Animal Enclosure wrote:Lenny was sick before the game but played under duress (& played very well).
I know that but the other guy said he was a bit sore so I thought there must be more than that.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Animal Enclosure wrote:Lenny was sick before the game but played under duress (& played very well).
I know that but the other guy said he was a bit sore so I thought there must be more than that.
Lyon was asked about Birss doing the warmup and whether he expected the Club to be fined for a 'ruse'.

His reply was that Lenny was suspect and Birss was going to play in his place if Lenny didn't pull up ok after the warmup.

He didn't actuially say what was 'wrong' with Lenny and most have assumed that it was an injury rather than illness.

saintbob
SS Life Member

Mr Magic wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Lyon was asked about Birss doing the warmup and whether he expected the Club to be fined for a 'ruse'.

His reply was that Lenny was suspect and Birss was going to play in his place if Lenny didn't pull up ok after the warmup.

He didn't actuially say what was 'wrong' with Lenny and most have assumed that it was an injury rather than illness.

Tim Lane said he had hamstring tightness, and he actually handballed a lot more than usual last night which added to the rumour.

Sam23
SS Life Member

f*** couldn't you just tell X Clarke was playing hard and running hard.

How many touches he end up with?

I think he'll play next week.

Goddard.
casey scorp
Club Player

borderbarry wrote:Very disappointed at the effort of the St.Kilda listed players. Dont think we should keep too many of them.
Agree. I think the Scorps should delist them all. They don't deserve a spot at Casey next year!

casey scorp
Club Player

Probably only get a game at a lowly club like Sandringham!!

casey scorp
Club Player

On a more serious note, it is sad to see the end of the alignment that has been the best arrangement for me - a lifelong Saints supporter with my club aligned to my local VFL team.

No longer :cry:

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

It's been intersting CS_ but must admit I wont miss the drive :wink:

Killer bee for sure
those werribee guys are Big and strong- pity Casey couldn't grab the aligned players sitting on the sidelines- Big Frase might have stopped the POD

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/ ... 42,00.html
Werribee's James Podsiadly kicks eight to crush Casey
Chris Mitchell | September 15, 2008 12:00am

NORTH Melbourne supporters will barrack against their own next weekend after Werribee booked a preliminary-final VFL showdown with North Ballarat. Both clubs share a partial alignment with the Kangaroos and will clash at TEAC Oval on Sunday for a spot in the grand final after Werribee's 69-point semi-final thumping of Casey Scorpions yesterday.

Set up by an eight-goal haul from captain and star forward James Podsiadly, the Tigers avenged last week's 74-point loss to Port Melbourne to run out convincing 19.16 (130) to 9.7 (61) winners at TEAC Oval.

Werribee coach Simon Atkins said he was already excited about facing the Roosters in a preliminary final.

"You can say it both ways. We will know a bit about them and they will know a bit about us. At the end of the day I think the Kangaroos will be the real winner from it," he said.

"Three-quarters of their list playing finals footy and playing at a really good level. It's a fantastic development tool for them."

In a Jekyll and Hyde finals series, the Tigers could do no wrong yesterday, with Matt Riggio (21 possessions, six tackles) and Robert Castello (25 possessions) the midfield architects.

Podsiadly, an outside chance for tonight's J. J. Liston Trophy count at Moonee Valley, had the better of Alex Silvagni and Matthew Ferguson to finish with 8.4 from 17 kicks.

Scott Howard (28 touches) was outstanding on the wing and across half-back, while North utility Leigh Brown booted 3.1.

Werribee's decision to go with Todd Goldstein as the only recognised big man and Alan Obst pinch-hitting in the ruck paid huge dividends.

Goldstein had 17 disposals and 31 hit-outs to hold his own against St Kilda-listed ruckmen Michael Gardiner, Michael Rix and Ben McEvoy.

But Atkins saved most of his praise for Podsiadly, who took his season tally to 81 goals.

"Pods plays probably 98 per cent of total game time during the whole year. His work ethic has been fantastic this year and his chasing and his tackles have really improved," he said.

"We took him off once because of a hard knock, but I don't think I would have tried to take him off a second time because he had the goals in his mind."

Atkins said North Melbourne veteran Jess Sinclair, who retired from AFL football last week, "should" be available for preliminary-final selection after being a late withdrawal because of the flu.

While mostly beaten at the stoppages, Casey's AFL-listed Shane Birss and Leigh Fisher were impressive in front of St Kilda coach Ross Lyon.

Scorpions coach Greg Hutchison said his side could not capitalise on its early dominance.

"I thought our start was really good. It was disappointing they kicked two goals in the last minute of the first quarter," Hutchison said.

"I think if we had been able to be in front at quarter-time, it might have been a different result."

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
spert
Saintsational Legend

I watched a fair bit of this game on the box and was also disappointed with the efforts of the St.K listed players..they all looked like they were just doing enough and not prepared to push any harder - I wouldn't promote any of them to the seniors. I would like to see McEvoy and Steven thrown in the mix, but the rest -forget it.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

FInal Casey review for 2008
1st SEMI-FINAL
Werribee Tigers 19.16 (130) Casey Scorpions 9.7 (61)

For the first half of the first semi-fi nal’s opening quarter Werribee Tigers coach Simon Atkins must have thought he was trapped in a time warp.
Here was Werribee kicking with the advantage of a considerable wind only to be struggling to kick a goal. Memories of his side’s lamentable performance against Port Melbourne the previous week, when they kicked 6.20 for the match, must have come flooding back.
It wasn’t until the 13-minute mark that Werribee registered its first goal through defender Paul Kenelley. With just seconds left before quarter-time, Werribee captain James Podsiadly snapped a goal to give his side an eight-point advantage against committed Casey Scorpions side.
While it hardly seemed enough, Podsiadly’s loose-ball gather and goal seemed to inspire both him and his teammates.
Podsiadly, who sprayed several shots for goal in the game’s opening minutes, kicked three more goals in the first 15 minutes of the second quarter to swing the momentum Werribee’s way.
The Scorpions stayed in touch with goals to Chris Dunne and Ben McEvoy, but when Jackson Sheringham and North Melbourne-listed midfielder Matt Riggio goaled Werribee took a 26-point lead into half-time.
In the first 12 minutes of the third quarter, Podsiadly and Roos-listed forward Leigh Brown kicked two goals each, and when Scott Howard, Dominic Gleeson and Scott McMahon all kicked
unanswered goals the game was up for the Scorpions.
By three-quarter time, Werribee held a 10-goal lead and the only remaining interest was to see how many more goals Podsiadly and Brown would kick. In an uneventful fi nal quarter,
Podsiadly kicked a further two goals to give him eight for the match and 81 for the season, while Brown was left stuck on three goals.
It was a disappointing end of an otherwise encouraging season for Casey, which improved on its
2007 elimination final exit. It did so after losing the club’s ‘heart and soul’ at the end of 2007, when four-time best and fairest winner Steve Harrison, captain Nigel Carmody, best and fairest winner David
Biagi and Troy Makepeace all left the club.
It left the Scorpions threadbare in terms of VFL experience, but the youngsters brought into coach Greg Hutchison’s program in 2008 scaled heights few would have imagined.
Thanks to its skipper, Brown and Riggio, Werribee erased the painful memories of its Port Melbourne loss, booking itself a preliminary final showdown with North Ballarat.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY