Casey vs Werribee - Semi Final Match Thread

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

henno
Club Player

game is over at almost 3 qtr time

mcevoy has had an absolute shocker...why did we pick him at pick 9??

score weribee 107 casey 42

x has been alright
steven has been everywhere
l fisher been alright
m gardiner been doing well in the ruck
rix done well up forward...poor delivery
same with charlie but his lack of speed has let him down around the ground

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

TO those that go to the games it sounds like Rix has been playing in the forward line a bit this year. Does anyone know how many goals he has kicked in total?

Seeya
Capricornia
Club Player

henno wrote:game is over at almost 3 qtr time

mcevoy has had an absolute shocker...why did we pick him at pick 9??

score weribee 107 casey 42

x has been alright
steven has been everywhere
l fisher been alright
m gardiner been doing well in the ruck
rix done well up forward...poor delivery
same with charlie but his lack of speed has let him down around the ground
I dont think any of them are warranting a spot in a prelim final though are they? Im watching and I dont think any of them are playing THAT well to take a spot off someone whose already in the SENIOR team.

saints11
Club Player

sunsaint wrote:TO those that go to the games it sounds like Rix has been playing in the forward line a bit this year. Does anyone know how many goals he has kicked in total?

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

henno wrote:mcevoy has had an absolute shocker...why did we pick him at pick 9?
talented big guys take longer to come on. he's going to be a star for us down the track.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
talented big guys take longer to come on. he's going to be a star for us down the track.
Collingwood have been saying that about Fraser for the last 8 years.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Otiman wrote:
bigcarl wrote:

well it's not always the case, obviously

Legendary
Club Player

Ignoring the fact that McEvoy has played a couple of sensational games for Casey in the last few weeks?

Pick on him for one bad performance?

An 18 year old ruckman in his first year?

Jesus.

TimeToShineFellas
SS Hall of Fame

What's the go with Fiora throwing the ball at the Werribee player's head at the end of the game

What a nuffy!

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
Otiman wrote:
bigcarl wrote:

well it's not always the case, obviously
Well he was good enough to play State of Origin this season and Captained the Filth last night, so I reckon it's fair to say he's been pretty good for them.

saints_rule23
Club Player

It seemed to be that Michael Gardiner was rested in the last quarter
because i didnt see him out there!

This could be to rest him up for next week as an inclusion into the team
OR
Just a pre-caution in case that Kosi does get rubbed out.

Capricornia
Club Player

saints_rule23 wrote:It seemed to be that Michael Gardiner was rested in the last quarter

OR
More likely he was just out of run.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Very disappointed at the effort of the St.Kilda listed players. Dont think we should keep too many of them.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Capricornia wrote:
saints_rule23 wrote:It seemed to be that Michael Gardiner was rested in the last quarter

OR
Do you have a personal vendetta againts M Gardiner?

More than likely you dont know squat about what your talking about.

Capricornia
Club Player

Spinner wrote:
Capricornia wrote:

OR

:lol: :D I dont have a personal vendetta against anybody. Im just a realist mate. He's past it and we need to get rid of him and give his spot to a young kid who can develop into a ruckmen. Enough of keeping stop gap ruckmen on our list, lets develop one of our own!

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Capricornia wrote:
Spinner wrote:
Capricornia wrote:

OR

We have given Rix, Ackland, Capuano, Clarke & Brooks year after year......And you want to crucify the one bloke that still has age on his side and is a proven talent......

Rules for some.

Realist? How fast do you expect a ruckman at 201cm to be?

:lol: :D I dont have a personal vendetta against anybody. Im just a realist mate. He's past it and we need to get rid of him and give his spot to a young kid who can develop into a ruckmen. Enough of keeping stop gap ruckmen on our list, lets develop one of our own!

Capricornia
Club Player

Spinner wrote:
Capricornia wrote:
Spinner wrote:
Capricornia wrote:

OR

We have given Rix, Ackland, Capuano, Clarke & Brooks year after year......And you want to crucify the one bloke that still has age on his side and is a proven talent......

Rules for some.

Number 1-He doesnt have age on his side, he's 30 next year.

Number 2-I agree about the other blokes, none of them should have been given the time they were given. Giving all those blokes so much time has cost us recuiting a young kid who can develop into a A grade ruckmen.

Number 3- I want him to be as fast as Cox is at the Eagles. He's quick and mobile and thats what we need in our ruckmen. Modern day ruckmen are expected to run fast and hard all day and push forward or back and contribute to the structure when taking a breather from the rucking duties. Thats all I want as a Saints fan, a ruckman who can do all of that. Kingy does a mighty fine job but we need another backup ala Seaby to Dean Cox.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Capricornia wrote:
Spinner wrote:
Capricornia wrote:
Spinner wrote:
Capricornia wrote:

OR

Rules for some.

Number 2-I agree about the other blokes, none of them should have been given the time they were given. Giving all those blokes so much time has cost us recuiting a young kid who can develop into a A grade ruckmen.

Number 3- I want him to be as fast as Cox is at the Eagles. He's quick and mobile and thats what we need in our ruckmen. Modern day ruckmen are expected to run fast and hard all day and push forward or back and contribute to the structure when taking a breather from the rucking duties. Thats all I want as a Saints fan, a ruckman who can do all of that. Kingy does a mighty fine job but we need another backup ala Seaby to Dean Cox.
And then its the nuff nuffs like yourself that complain about clearances....

Have a think about why Geelong because so strong - Ottens.

Ottens feeding a quality midfield. His attack is just a bonus.

People that have played football will understand the effects of a dominate RUCKMAN.......Who RUCKS.

Not a dominate fast but overly tall player that provides cheap kicks and cheap goals. That is a bonus.

Maybe you could recruite a FASTMAN, or simply just a TALLMAN. Because you obviously dont rate a RUCKMAN.

PS -----> Seaby is shithouse.

To the top
SS Life Member

In regards Fiora throwing the ball at an opponent's head my take of it was that Fiora had the ball when the final siren sounded - and he was thrown heavily into the ground after the siren had sounded, when he obviously (and correctly) did not expect such attention and had "switched off" in terms of being prepared for such attention. Fiora's head hit the turf with some force.

Hence the understandable reaction by Fiora - and the reaction of the player who dumped Fiora after he had been hit by the ball confirmed his calibre.

Once the final siren has sounded - that is it.

You do not continue your tackle and particularly you do not continue that tackle to thump a guy into the turf.

In regards the future, X. Clarke and M. Gardiner (and maybe Steven who had some useful periods) remain in the mix for AFL selection.

Invaluable experience was had by a couple (McEvoy - remembering the conditions with a strong wind - who was not served by M. Gardiner and Rix also being in the side and Howard who got it a bit) and a few others confirmed that their time may be up in the AFL (L. Fisher, Rix, C. Gardiner, Ferguson, Fiora, Birss, all of whom had limited impact at VFL level).

The one thing that was confirmed is our reliance on those who make up our back 6 at AFL level, because Casey suffer badly in the key defensive posts.

Our reliance on (particularly) Max and Sam Fisher (who I would love to see on a flank) is brutal - allowing for a Maguire recovery in 2009 which would be Utopia with bells.

Sam Gilbert will continue to come but we need other options from the Draft or from our Rookie development.

The efforts of the Casey Captain, Matthews, were commendable and of interest - particularly given the resurgance in the appeal of smaller, very, very quick players with good skills.

No other Casey players impressed.

Capricornia
Club Player

Spinner wrote:
Capricornia wrote:
Spinner wrote:
Capricornia wrote:
Spinner wrote:
Capricornia wrote:

OR

Rules for some.

And then its the nuff nuffs like yourself that complain about clearances....

Have a think about why Geelong because so strong - Ottens.

Ottens feeding a quality midfield. His attack is just a bonus.

People that have played football will understand the effects of a dominate RUCKMAN.......Who RUCKS.

Not a dominate fast but overly tall player that provides cheap kicks and cheap goals. That is a bonus.

Maybe you could recruite a FASTMAN, or simply just a TALLMAN. Because you obviously dont rate a RUCKMAN.

PS -----> Seaby is shithouse.
LOL, name calling never got anyone anywhere buddy.

I value a ruckmen, Dean Cox is a brilliant ruckmen and Michael Gardiner was once brilliant himself. Dont put words into my mouth.

However the fact is that every player has got to have more than one feather to their bow these days. The Eagles had that flexibility in their golden years, so did the Swans and so do Geelong and Hawthorn these days. The speed of the modern game means that every player has to have a rest at some stage and has to be able to play atleast 2 positions well to get a game (Unless ofcourse your a champion like Franklin or Ablett or Judd). Most midfielders/HB/HF flankers will come off for a short period of time each quarter just to have a rest. Ruckmen generally get pushed forward or back when they are having their rest and they have to be able to perform around the ground aswell as in the ruck (Just like Cox did at the Eagles for the past 4 or 5 years).

Gardiner can still ruck, he still has the animal instinct in him but he just cant perform round the ground. That makes him a liability to the team when he isnt in the ruck and he's playing round the ground. Sitting him on the bench when he isnt rucking isnt the answer either because it means we cant have another smaller running type bloke to bring on when we need the running types to play against the best teams like Geelong and Hawthorn.

Thats my point of view and I really dont care whether you rate it or not.

To the top
SS Life Member

Capricornia, if our "running" strength is so poor that we can not accomodate 2 genuine ruckmen to maintain maximum presence at all bounces and boundary throw ins, plus dropping into defensive and offensive positions, then we are well and truly stuffed.

There are 20 other players apart from King and M. Gardiner.

And if they are not up to it, then that is where our problem is, not with King and M. Gardiner.

Plus, as shown against Hawthorn last time, if we want to expose some additional "run" from the rucking division, there is Blake for cameo efforts.

Capricornia
Club Player

To the top wrote:Capricornia, if our "running" strength is so poor that we can not accomodate 2 genuine ruckmen to maintain maximum presence at all bounces and boundary throw ins, plus dropping into defensive and offensive positions, then we are well and truly stuffed.

There are 20 other players apart from King and M. Gardiner.

And if they are not up to it, then that is where our problem is, not with King and M. Gardiner.

Plus, as shown against Hawthorn last time, if we want to expose some additional "run" from the rucking division, there is Blake for cameo efforts.
I see your point and I kind of agree. Just consider this for a moment though:

My argument is not just about 'run' whole heartedly as in speed but the ability of every single bloke in the 22 to get to the contest around the ground and make a contest at the very minimum. Every bloke on the list has to be able to do that for the team to be a success (even the ruckmen). Sure a ruckmen isnt going to be the fastest bloke on the ground but he has to be able to run with his opponent for the entire match and to push forward and back when required. Gardiner cant run all day like he used to be able to and he cant 'get around the ground' to make a contest at the very least.

Thats why I say he's a liability and thats why I doubt he will play another game of AFL. Its not an attack on the bloke himself, its simple reality.

To the top
SS Life Member

And King?

Unless you want a periodic height mis-match in the forward line (and unlikely if Kosi is relieved of rucking duties), only one of King or M. Gardiner would be on the ground at the one time.

I would suggest, including from performances before M. Gardiner was injured against Sydney and from his performances over the last 2 weeks at Casey, that he is the equal of King.

I believe that King and M. Gardiner will compliment each other and maintain a genuine rucking presence throughout the game. The last thing we need is King "run into the ground" - a 55% ground time should ensure he remains "up and about" and covering the ground he must.

I do not underestimate the need for a strong rucking division, particularly in finals.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Pretty sure that MG has retired after the game today. Did that ccome up on any news?

Capricornia
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:Pretty sure that MG has retired after the game today. Did that ccome up on any news?
Interesting. Where did you hear that Plugger?