We will win tonight

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

We will win tonight

For the same rason that the Dogs beat the Swans last night. People get sucked in by Collingwood easily beating one of the poorer sides in the 8 and us losing easily to by far and away the best side in the 8. Very similar to the Dogs and Swans before last night.

The only dangers to this are our recovery after playing Geelong and the fact the pies have an edge on us at the moment. I think we can overcome this and have a reasonably comfortable win.

Good luck tonight and we will see the Hawks next Saturday night.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

made the same pronouncement on monday

The only top four team in the past 5 years to miss the prelim was west coast last year and that was in extra time. The odds show that top 4 teams make the prelim.

Saints are fantastic odds if you want a flutter

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Solar wrote:The only top four team in the past 5 years to miss the prelim was west coast last year and that was in extra time. The odds show that top 4 teams make the prelim.
To be fair, that it usually because the top 4 teams clearly had a better season and have stronger teams. We scraped into the 8 and then accidently stumbled into the top 4. We also don't have any home ground advantage since we're playing a Melbourne team.

I don't think we could be any better than a 50/50 chance tonight.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:
Solar wrote:The only top four team in the past 5 years to miss the prelim was west coast last year and that was in extra time. The odds show that top 4 teams make the prelim.
To be fair, that it usually because the top 4 teams clearly had a better season and have stronger teams. We scraped into the 8 and then accidently stumbled into the top 4. We also don't have any home ground advantage since we're playing a Melbourne team.

I don't think we could be any better than a 50/50 chance tonight.
we had top 8 spot sewn up after a thumping of another top 8 team in adelaide in round 21. Not sure how we ACCIDENTLY stumpled into the top 4. We were better then collingwood, the crows, the kangaroos and sydney over 22 hard rounds of football.

We were the second best performed team in the second half of the year.

The team we are playing has gone to WA and SA in the past two weeks. They lost terribly to freo in round 22. They are a young team whose finals experience accounts to last week.

I'm all for the media to talk collingwood up but I would be horrified if anyone in the saints camp were not confident about tonight. No excuses, we are a better team then collingwood.

FQF
In richo I trust

LaUrEnCe
Club Player

The fact that we have been beaten by this time twice this year.. with a few players really causing us headaches..doesnt make me feel too confident

but it will be close

i cant see us thrashing em if we beat em, but i can see em thrashing us.. if we beat em, it will go down to the final siren i reckon

happily proven wrong

Mackaysaint
Club Player

I also think we will win.

My only concern is that Malthouse is a great motivator.

He was able to get the Pies more desperate than us last match (it was a backs against the wall effort for them after the Didak and Shaw incident), but we had the Banger Harvey announcement which should have been enough.

We are the better side, so this will be a good assessment on self-belief and Lyon's ability to get a team up after a demoralising loss in only 6 days.

Cogito ergo sum Furtius Quo Rdelius
St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

Didak and Shaw would surely have been some of the reason the Pies beat us the first time, the second time they beat us was because we didn't show up to play. The only reason we'd lose a third time is if we apply the reasoning behind the latter loss.

Tonight we must come in and play to rectify our respect as a top 4 heavyweight and get our confidence back! Only then will we be able to successfully take it up to the Hawks next week!

When they created LENNY HAYES (in the shadow of Harvs) they forgot to break the mold (again)- hence the Supremely Incredible Jack Steven!!
matrix
Saintsational Legend

dumb f****....why on earth they would impose a season ban on those two is beyond me.

no match payments till next year, all ya money goes to charity.
u got 3 weeks off, not the season.
and u have to stay off the grog and become a bit more of a leader or we trade u as soon as u f*** up again.

idiots

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

matrixcutter wrote:dumb f****....why on earth they would impose a season ban on those two is beyond me.

idiots
No it is actually very clever...

The Pies now have lots of young players (with Buckley and other retiring last year and wakelin this year) anda lot of them are quite talented...their best years are coming.

This year they would not have won the flag.

They have struggled with a party culture.....and did too little about it.

It was one thing Didak and Co lying to the Public and Police...but when they were doing to the Club including to team mates the Pies at last realised that they had to do something. And they belatedly have.

They have drawn aline in the sand and have reaped immediate benefits. Indeed without that action they probably would not have made the 8 as they were on the slide before that week.

That action ahs turned their season around.

However more importantly for the Pies it has set them up beautifully for next year, and the years following. It will have done wonders for the discipline of their younger players....as well as some of the older ones.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
matrix
Saintsational Legend

so they would rather not have didak out on the park tonight?

somehow i think not

Solar
Saintsational Legend

matrixcutter wrote:so they would rather not have didak out on the park tonight?

somehow i think not
of course they do.

But they lied to the playing group, captain and club officials. Not only does it signal to the playing group that no matter who you are the player is never bigger then the club but I would believe the playing group would struggle to have respect and confidence in these two players.

What they did was selfish and placed themselves ahead of the club and group. When that happens in any area where team is important the person is a short term liability until they get the confidence and trust back from the playing group.

FQF
In richo I trust

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

matrixcutter wrote:so they would rather not have didak out on the park tonight?

somehow i think not
The Saints are the better for dropping Milne and Dal.

The Pies are the better for finally having taken a hard line with Didak.

If they had not done so the Pies would not have made the finals.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
johnpeterbudgefanclub
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote:
matrixcutter wrote:dumb f****....why on earth they would impose a season ban on those two is beyond me.

idiots
No it is actually very clever...

The Pies now have lots of young players (with Buckley and other retiring last year and wakelin this year) anda lot of them are quite talented...their best years are coming.

This year they would not have won the flag.

They have struggled with a party culture.....and did too little about it.

It was one thing Didak and Co lying to the Public and Police...but when they were doing to the Club including to team mates the Pies at last realised that they had to do something. And they belatedly have.

They have drawn aline in the sand and have reaped immediate benefits. Indeed without that action they probably would not have made the 8 as they were on the slide before that week.

That action ahs turned their season around.

However more importantly for the Pies it has set them up beautifully for next year, and the years following. It will have done wonders for the discipline of their younger players....as well as some of the older ones.
Exactly.....for the reasons above the actions taken by the club have galvanised the playing group and they have responded in the best possible way. Opportunities have been provided to guys like Shannon Cox, John McCarthy (only 18), Chris Dawes and Ryan Cook etc.

Whilst of course u would play them if available the match time gained by those mentioned above can only stand them in better stead for a tilt next year. 12 players, 21 or under took the field against the Crows last week.

The future is rosy.....

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

johnpeterbudgefanclub wrote:...The future is rosy.....
Collingwood's best ball getter by a mile is Burns - who is 34 this year. Rosy your future may not be!

Schillaci
Club Player

Think we will win too. We were in good form prior to the Geelong game and the drop in class tonight will see us return to the winners' list. Will be great to finish the Pies' season. Reiwoldt will tear them a new one and Goddard will be BOG. Milney will belt out the song and we'll all be genuinely excited about taking on the Hawks next week as we dream of the possibility of Harvey lifting the cup a week after that.

CARNNNNN THE SAINTERS!!!!!
Off to the fridge now.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Re: We will win tonight

plugger66 wrote:For the same rason that the Dogs beat the Swans last night. People get sucked in by Collingwood easily beating one of the poorer sides in the 8 and us losing easily to by far and away the best side in the 8. Very similar to the Dogs and Swans before last night.

The only dangers to this are our recovery after playing Geelong and the fact the pies have an edge on us at the moment. I think we can overcome this and have a reasonably comfortable win.

excellent post p66...for once....excellent..... :wink: :lol: ..i'm off to the game...

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
plugger66 wrote:For the same rason that the Dogs beat the Swans last night. People get sucked in by Collingwood easily beating one of the poorer sides in the 8 and us losing easily to by far and away the best side in the 8. Very similar to the Dogs and Swans before last night.

excellent post p66...for once....excellent..... :wink: :lol: ..i'm off to the game...
he is probably taking the p!ss

it is simply not clear cut like it is portrayed

the dogs are the dogs...not the saints...the dogs...different game different scenarios different opposition

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Saints Premiers 2008 wrote:
stinger wrote:

he is probably taking the p!ss

it is simply not clear cut like it is portrayed

the dogs are the dogs...not the saints...the dogs...different game different scenarios different opposition
Was never taking the piss. Dont usally comment on games but just had this feeling. Know the feeling is even better. Just rub it a bit more. Thanks that the spot.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

still dont agree...but mehhh who really cares

anyway...good to see a few of us never knew it was in doubt
i honestly wasnt worried by collingwood at all.
:D 8-)

Raven
Club Player

I dunno, usually I feel nervous as hell leading up to these big games, but last night I just didn't feel nervous at all for some reason. I just had this feeling we'd win it well and comfortably.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

once again common sense showed it's head again

FQF
In richo I trust

Beej
Saintsational Legend

The phrase "straight sets" scares me. It's the most embarrassing thing that can happen to a side in the finals.

Because of that, I was extremely nervous.

The feeling after the siren was more relief than anything else for me.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

Commentators last night discussed the 13 wins for fourth and mentioned that in all previous cases the team has made the GF!

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "