M.Gardiner must come in – Kosi to Full Forward

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:
stkfc1 wrote:From games I've watched this year Kosi actually looks better floating into defence. He's taken some great contested marks in the back half this year not so many forward. I think he reads the play better this way. Also can then be used as a link man going forward. For what ever reason Roo and Kosi just don't gel well in the forward line. They just seem to get in each others way. Buddy and Roughnut seem to have an awareness about each other at all times which is why they work well together. We need to think about another forward option for the future.
I agree with this.

To me Kosi needs a run at the contest NOT a wrestle and he can do this best floating back (and possibly fwd) its why hes probably a genuine utility....but not exactly enamored with the tank to play this roaming role.....

I had Kosi down as a fwd and am dissapointed this just hasnt worked......though Im not sure he is surrounded by the best fwd coach getting round to be frank cause our fwd line has been poor all year.

But you cannot spend an entire game "floating" into defence....it means that the rest of your team is one short for a lot of the game...
Last edited by saintsRrising on Thu 11 Sep 2008 12:06pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Richter
SS Life Member

rodgerfox wrote:Contested marks in the F50 aren't worth trying to get. If you do get a couple, then it's bonus. But don't base your forward structure around it.

They're too easy to prevent for the opposition.
One hundred percent agree with you. Although Roo is a great contested mark and G-train was ok - their real value has been in taking marks on the lead. Kosi (One quarter vs West Coast in 2007 aside) does not give you this.

Compare our forward line to the Cats - they have a whole bunch of blokes who can lead AND play as medium half forwards - Chapman, Varcoe, Mooney, Lonergan. Johnson, though nominally a "small" forward is also a hard body who plays medium as well.

Who do we have? Roo (who is not at his best when the ball hits the ground), Charlie, Gwilt, Ferguson, Allen......

As we so often lament - this is where we have not managed to replace Aaron Hamill.

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

As I have posted before..Kosi is nota FF...

Play him as a CHF instead.

As an aside Kosi would be a better player in a team that could kick it to his advantage.

Roo has the agility and pace to make the most of bad kicks (though they often mean that even Roo can't mark them or that he is pushed under it). Kosi does not.

Which ever side Kosi's opponent is on..we need to kick to the other..... Instead doe to bad kicking we see stop and prop...or kosi caught in bad positions dure to kicking to his opponents advantage!!!!

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

saintsRrising wrote:As I have posted before..Kosi is nota FF...

Play him as a CHF instead.

As an aside Kosi would be a better player in a team that could kick it to his advantage.

Roo has the agility and pace to make the most of bad kicks (though they often mean that even Roo can't mark them or that he is pushed under it). Kosi does not.

Which ever side Kosi's opponent is on..we need to kick to the other..... Instead doe to bad kicking we see stop and prop...or kosi caught in bad positions dure to kicking to his opponents advantage!!!!
Agree. Would also provide a contest as well as create opportunities for our smaller fwd's.

Actually, I'll go one further...

We play only 1 ruckman because it gives us an extra mid on the bench... which means that our midfield is lacking.

If we can add a quatlity mid without diminishing our current stocks, we could afford to play a 2nd ruck, and give Kosi another position.

They key will remain who we can recruit... a mid? or a defender who will release Gram/ BJ into the middle.. or what?

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
Red
Club Player

Interesting, so we stick all our skilled players forward and even though they

couldn't get the ball last weekend playing in the mid or defence all of a

sudden they will dominate with less talented players giving them the ball.

I think some people on here should put their hands up to be on the match

day committee.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Red wrote:Interesting, so we stick all our skilled players forward
when have we ever done that? i can count only riewoldt and milne (and schneider to a much lesser degree).

gwilt and c. gardiner would be lucky to get a game in our backline, so why are they walk up starts in a forward line that struggles to kick winning scores?

it depends on your priorities i guess. do you want a team that can kick winning scores or a team that can stop the opposition?

different philosophies that both have something to say for them.

i always come down in favour of attack first and defend when you have to.

wouldn't have a problem, for instance, with playing dal santo across half forward this week. or, down the track, playing bj at full forward.

there's a lot to be said for scoreboard pressure. also for being proactive rather than reactive. put the opposition on the back foot; make them worry about us for a change.

anyhow, theoretically the ball should be forward of centre at least half of the game. so why wouldn't you have your better players closer to the goal?