Some bold moves next week - NEEDED!!!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Some bold moves next week - NEEDED!!!

I watched both games (STK, Casey), and believe we need to be brave at the selection table....

Hayes was robinson crusoe in the centre today, we lacked ANY inside support - something Ball gives/Dal (when not tagged).....after 31 possesions and 10 tackles.......bring in Armo.....out - X

Gardiner and Gwilt are need for forward structure.....but ATM we are going with 1 tall (Rooey) and two mediums (Gwilt and Gardiner) and at times Kosi.....and the structure fell apart today.....I believe we go with 3 talls, with either Rooey or Kosi playing vey high alternating with the Goal Square two smalls and a defensive mid (CJ)......Gardiner gets the chop as Gwilt is more versitile and can play HB/HF/Wing.....bring in Allen

The final out will be a tall - forced (Blake) I have gone with a second Ruckman....and allow Kosi to play CHF (not FF)...bring in M.Gardiner to play off the bench for 45 minutes and to have a clearance impact....

Team

B: GILBERT/ANTHONY - HUDGHTON/DAWES - GWILT/MEDHURST

HB: R.CLARKE/THOMAS - S.FISHER/CLOKE - GODDARD/GOLDSACK

C: EDDY/SWAN (tag) - DAL SANTO/MAXWELL - GRAM/PENDLEBURY

HF: MILNE/LOCKYER - KOSCHITZKE/BROWN - SCHNEIDER/CLARKE

F: C.JONES/R.SHAW - REIWOLDT/PRESTI - ALLEN/O'BRIEN

Foll: M.GARDINER/FRASER - HAYES/O'BREE - McQUALTER/DAVIS (tag)

INT: HARVEY/WELLINGHAM - ARMITAGE/BURNS - KING/BRYAN - MONTAGNA/COX

EMERG: GEARY - BIRSS - FERGUSON

Worries
Raph vs Thomas.......Raph is OK form, back him in...no Dempster
Medhurst vs Gwilt......with Blake going down, Gwilt must adapt his role, has the pace and marking strength....concentration a worry, but do not want to sacrifice Goddard
Fraser vs MG......tell Gardy just to Hammer him, make as much body contact as possible in short bursts...

Solar
Saintsational Legend

agree completely with what you say

would love to see us be bold and select gardiner and release kosi forward. Two big forwards in tandum (not getting in each others space) plus allen or even a birss would scare the s*** out of the collingwood coaching staff.

Would kill for ball to come up but if he doesn't armo has had enough time to get back to basics at casey and it's time to blood the kid. Got a body for finals

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Solar wrote:agree completely with what you say

would love to see us be bold and select gardiner and release kosi forward. Two big forwards in tandum (not getting in each others space) plus allen or even a birss would scare the s*** out of the collingwood coaching staff.

Would kill for ball to come up but if he doesn't armo has had enough time to get back to basics at casey and it's time to blood the kid. Got a body for finals
Kosi played forward for over half the game today and had zero impact. I just dont understand why he would have more because he is there the whole game.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

Kosi played forward for over half the game today and had zero impact. I just dont understand why he would have more because he is there the whole game.
because for one thing we are not playing geelong this week.

If you have a look at the tape from the last time we played the pies, we looked very dangerous when we pushed another tall forward to expose the pies backline.

Not sure what charlie gives us over playing kosi at CHF 70 out floating around.

Finals football is about getting the ball down there quickly and power forwards can have field days in this type of football. I back kosi to lift against the pies....

Or we could just continue to play the kick it to roo game plan.....

FQF
In richo I trust

doristhesaint
Club Player

Re: Some bold moves next week - NEEDED!!!

BigMart wrote:I watched both games (STK, Casey), and believe we need to be brave at the selection table....

Hayes was robinson crusoe in the centre today, we lacked ANY inside support - something Ball gives/Dal (when not tagged).....after 31 possesions and 10 tackles.......bring in Armo.....out - X

Gardiner and Gwilt are need for forward structure.....but ATM we are going with 1 tall (Rooey) and two mediums (Gwilt and Gardiner) and at times Kosi.....and the structure fell apart today.....I believe we go with 3 talls, with either Rooey or Kosi playing vey high alternating with the Goal Square two smalls and a defensive mid (CJ)......Gardiner gets the chop as Gwilt is more versitile and can play HB/HF/Wing.....bring in Allen

The final out will be a tall - forced (Blake) I have gone with a second Ruckman....and allow Kosi to play CHF (not FF)...bring in M.Gardiner to play off the bench for 45 minutes and to have a clearance impact....

Team

B: GILBERT/ANTHONY - HUDGHTON/DAWES - GWILT/MEDHURST

HB: R.CLARKE/THOMAS - S.FISHER/CLOKE - GODDARD/GOLDSACK

C: EDDY/SWAN (tag) - DAL SANTO/MAXWELL - GRAM/PENDLEBURY

HF: MILNE/LOCKYER - KOSCHITZKE/BROWN - SCHNEIDER/CLARKE

F: C.JONES/R.SHAW - REIWOLDT/PRESTI - ALLEN/O'BRIEN

Foll: M.GARDINER/FRASER - HAYES/O'BREE - McQUALTER/DAVIS (tag)

INT: HARVEY/WELLINGHAM - ARMITAGE/BURNS - KING/BRYAN - MONTAGNA/COX

EMERG: GEARY - BIRSS - FERGUSON

Worries
Raph vs Thomas.......Raph is OK form, back him in...no Dempster
Medhurst vs Gwilt......with Blake going down, Gwilt must adapt his role, has the pace and marking strength....concentration a worry, but do not want to sacrifice Goddard
Fraser vs MG......tell Gardy just to Hammer him, make as much body contact as possible in short bursts...
Thomas is not a worry unless they are 10 goals up.
Swan is the one we need to stop as he will play 4 quarters

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Solar wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

If you have a look at the tape from the last time we played the pies, we looked very dangerous when we pushed another tall forward to expose the pies backline.

Finals football is about getting the ball down there quickly and power forwards can have field days in this type of football. I back kosi to lift against the pies....

A simple reason we dont kick it to Kosi is because he doesnt lead and that isnt going to change next week.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Solar wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

A simple reason we dont kick it to Kosi is because he doesnt lead and that isnt going to change next week.
so what would you do? I believe the only strength we have over the pies is our key forwards agains thteir weak backs (as long as we match them up with forwards... not let say wakelin sit there on his own)

FQF
In richo I trust

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Solar wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Solar wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

so what would you do? I believe the only strength we have over the pies is our key forwards agains thteir weak backs (as long as we match them up with forwards... not let say wakelin sit there on his own)
As you said we arent playing geelong so I would continue playing Kosi as a forward and second ruckman. bringing in an underdone MG does nothing for the side. Did you see X today.

Sam23
SS Life Member

next week

no change.

unless Ball is right.

Goddard.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Agree with much of what you say...

But NOT Gwilt on Medhurst = disaster.

With Gwilt and Charlie....only one can play.

Birss was stiff to miss out....so should be considered for a recall.

Blake...still to confirmed what is wrong with him.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Young Georgie
Club Player

Neon Leon always turns us (and most others of late) inside out to provide a spark and he is a big worry. Not sure if Mini's the man but someone's gotta sit on his arse and provide a heavy tag, not getting sucked in and relax if he hasn't done anything for 15 minutes coz that's usually when he pulls out a game breaking miracle.

Graceful, elusive, strong overhead and no Easybeat!
felixleo
Club Player

Admired Gwilts effort today but spoke to ex Essendon/Eagles forward at half time who thought when he had Scarlett as an opponent he should have led him away from the hotspot instead of contesting. I think you have to back yourself or why play.[/quote]

Are you gonna be the one?
noob
Club Player

id like to gehrig back. our team would then look a bit intimidating.. we look like metros.