Pressure Cooker Players

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

jackal
Club Player

Pressure Cooker Players

Ross Lyon will now have an understanding as to which of his players can handle the pressures of finals footy and those who can't.

From the lounge I would say that Jones and Hayes led the way although Hayes was a little rusty. X.Clarke and Gram were poor and their failure to stick tackles and cause the cats a problem is a worry.

Obviously Roo had a dirty day but the most unfortunate thing was how ordinary the great man Harvey was today. If the circumstances were different, Harves would be dropped for an Armitage or Birss next week but obviously this will/should not happen.

Expect Roo to bounce back from this performance against the pies..

Also big shout out to Fisher, Gilbo and King who were along with Jones and Hayes our better players.

spiral2
Club Player

yeah as much as I love harves, he was really bad today, looked slow and weak in the contest. if he was any other player I can't imagine how he'd get picked for next week.

embarrassing day all round :cry:

110% from Lenny and CJ

Hughjarce
Club Player

Rooey will not play this bad again trust me. Kosi is was very soft and both the Clarkes were embarrassing.

But there was one standout GWILT he was like a witches hat. It was a joke that he kept his place.

To accomplish great things we must not only act but also dream, not only plan but also believe.
battye
Saintsational Legend

I thought Harvey was decent?

He seemed to be in every contest, got a fair bit of the ball. More than can be said of Riewoldt or Kosi.

Feature article: KFC's "Double Down" burger!

TV Ratings: Hey Hey It's Saturday ratings overview

Do you know what C# is? .NET? Then you need to know this: XSD
terry smith rules
SS Life Member

I thought there was only one of our top 12 players who could hold their head up and that was 25

lenny (love him) missed so many tackles and did so many turnovers

35 it was sad to watch. I hope next week even if we lose will be better

cj pressure was great

bergsone
SS Life Member

Though Harves was just starting to pick up the tempoof the game when he copped that hit

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

The ONE player who stepped up and improved beyond the average of their form today..was CJ..

Well done.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

We know we lack depth in the midfield, so with Ball and Baker in the grandstand and Eddy and Mcqualter on the ground, it just hurts a bit more against such a strong midfield.

We have a few players who are not quite there or 'just there'. I speak of Eddy, Gardiner, Mcqualter, Gwilt, and Jones, although Jones' chasing, tackling, and desperation make him an asset, while the others don't make an impact on the game.

Geelong have no such players in their team, and do not have a stand -in CHB like Blake. I like Blake a lot, but he's not an A grade tall defender as we all know.

Clearly, there is a gap in class that we really can't bridge given the make-up of the team. Until we can replace the 'almost' players with ones with class and grunt, we will not threaten the likes of Geelong.

I'd almost be tempted to play a couple out of Armitage, Steven, and Allen next week. Blake will miss, so play Kosi at CHB and play Allen up forward. Riewoldt got zero assistance from his other forwards today in providing him with space. I'd chop out Gardiner and play Steven on the forward flank. We need one more midfielder, so Armitage may need to replace Eddy or McQualter, as we need someone who can win a contested hot potato, which clearly Eddy and McQualter can't do.

Out: Blake (inj), McQualter, Gardiner

IN: Allen, Steven, Armitage

I'd also consider swapping Ferguson for Gwilt.

SaintWal
Club Player

Crafty Cats

Moved. Meant to be a new post :oops:

spiral2
Club Player

cwrcyn wrote:Riewoldt got zero assistance from his other forwards today in providing him with space.
one of the main reasons for lack of space was the way we moved the ball. too indirect, gave Geelong a chance to flood back.
too often we'd have 30+ players in our half when on the attack, whereas geelong would often attack off a quick rebound and have less than 10 players in their half, often only 4 in their fwd 50 with players rushing in to create contests and moving options.

we weren't aggressive enough with our breaks, running players were too easily coralled and 'forced' into kicking to short & wide targets. Dal Santo has to get more damaging, too often takes the easy option with his field kicking, would love to see him take the game on more and be really creative with his skills.