Reality Check.....

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Reality Check.....

against a strong, ruthless, talented side....we look second rate, slow, underskilled, weak..

Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

we are to riewoldt one sided,
Kosi is overated.

knew we where going to lose, we just arent good enough!

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Some of our less skilled players really get exposed under pressure....

Gram, Lenny and Montagna....all struggle to even kick drop punts when the kick fwd on the run.....let alone put the ball to advantage...

brown-coat
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Reality Check.....

BigMart wrote:against a strong, ruthless, talented side....we look second rate, slow, underskilled, weak..
Yes.

So does every other team in the league.

Back to back premiers cat. Maybe even 3 or 4 in a row!

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

I reckon Hawthorn will push them, and if Buddy kicks straight.....beat them.....

They have the Mid depth to match them....Mitchell, Sewell, Lewis, Bateman, Crawf, Hodge....

Dal_Santos_Gal
Saintsational Legend

wake up and smell the coffee
no TEAM has a hope in hell in beating them in the next 3 weeks.

May as well give the flag to the ******** b*stards now and end the heartache.

At this rate they will win it next year as well, because there is daylight between them and the next best team in the AFL

I am so freaking jealous it hurts.

In Ross Get lost!

I am excited to stay at St Kilda and this is a great result for the Club and all our fans. I’m proud to be part of the Saints and am pleased to be playing football with the Clubâ€
abandonallhope
Club Player

You know what really craps me , it's what sam newman said to harves "the saints are going to get smashed". You could see the look in harves eyes and i bet you he was thinking this "christ i hope the boys can prove this prick wrong and we win" .Well harves you are a great,great player but by todays crap performance i dont think most of the team give a crap.

s*** happens, get over it
Goody
Club Player

Beaten by a far better side.
In Qual finals this happens, we get another chance, so what.
Cats now nned to beat a rampaging Hawks outfit, we need to beat the Pies.
As I look at it we are all back to square one, if anyone loses, out.
We lost Blake, but Jones played well, we'll be right.
At least we are amongst it

GO SAINTERS

Followed Saints since '71
Sir Robert Harvey was my favorite player
Stewie Lowe and Plugger before that.
Loved watching Rooey and Jack Steven
Now looking forward to the future

Some people make things happen, some people watch things happen, but most just say " What the f#&k happened!".
LaUrEnCe
Club Player

Beginning to feel even if we do beat Collingwood and Hawks (ha..) and then meet Geelong again, it would be wasted.. its too much to improve this much to even challenge Geelong

only Hawks can beat Geelong

Hoepfully we save some face and beat Pies

Schillaci
Club Player

Reality check indeed.
We are not in the same class as the Cats.
We are making up the numbers. Our only hope IMO is if Dogs or Swans can beat Geelong :shock:

kalsaint
Club Player

BigMart wrote:Some of our less skilled players really get exposed under pressure....

Gram, Lenny and Montagna....all struggle to even kick drop punts when the kick fwd on the run.....let alone put the ball to advantage...
This is so true and also contributes to why we dont get enough scoreboard pressure from our midfield team.

This, and Kosi's unwillingness to present as a key forward, makes the team more one dimensional to Nick. Unfortunately this is not good enough to beat teams in top eight consistently.

Maybe could win 2 more games but 3 is a huge ask.

Midfield clearances and clear winners are needed to make an effective forward line.

You need to protect the ball handler to increase posession efficiency
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

constantly allowing Geelong players to run around on their own wasn't quite the masterful gameplan i think Ross was hoping for....

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
LaUrEnCe
Club Player

Sometimes i like Ross, but sometimes i feel he has no idea really..this is one of those times

having said that, the artillery he has were not up to scratch against this finely drilled Geelong team who execute there plans so well.

Big test will be pies, and we will see what we are made of...

My fear is that the Pies will rebound the s*** out of us just like Geelong, and we will be found wanting at the G :( hope im wrong

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

The_Dud wrote:constantly allowing Geelong players to run around on their own wasn't quite the masterful gameplan i think Ross was hoping for....
We either have too many GOP's or Cats are too good or both. To blame the coach just shows that you've been lying low until we lost.

We actually went all out attack in the 1st. Simply outclassed you tool. :roll:

If we use the Cats as a yardstick, then we don't have the list IMO. And no coach will be able to do any better.

Gwilt
CJ
CG
Max
Mini
Kosi
Dal...

Should all be looked at after the season.

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
saintly_safes
Club Player

It was always gunna be an up hill battle ,but they are so good all over the ground its very hard to be too critical. I thought we tried very hard but we weren't in the same league. To finish top 4 is very good , a positive step even if it was probably flattering but at least we made it.Looking at todays game we have alot of work to do to get to the level required & we will have to make some hard decisions in the off season to trim the the list to improve our on field performance . I looked at the two sides on paper before the game & as positive as tryed to be the numbers just didnt stack up , they are an awesome team & 10 goals was a pretty good bench mark to where we are at compared to them.Im not going to go slit my wrists & go in to hybernation but lets be realistic if we can put up a competetive show against the filth next week win lose or draw .I really think we have improved this year but we do have a long way to go. Lets keep the passion stay possitive & next year we might get that little bit closer. Go sainters

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

LaUrEnCe wrote:Sometimes i like Ross, but sometimes i feel he has no idea really..this is one of those times
Why???

What you saw today was a lot of Saints players who could not take the pressure against a very good team.

What did Lyon have to do for example with Kosi coughing the ball up badly every time he gained possession?

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
LaUrEnCe
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote:
LaUrEnCe wrote:Sometimes i like Ross, but sometimes i feel he has no idea really..this is one of those times
Why???

What you saw today was a lot of Saints players who could not take the pressure against a very good team.

What did Lyon have to do for example with Kosi coughing the ball up badly every time he gained possession?
Because we've seen through the year that in some games forward structure is lacking.. there just doesnt seem to be a direct game plan at times

But i have highlighted that we did not have the artillery today, and that i understand and any other coach would've struggled to find something with a clearly less talented list than the Cats.

nicko016
Club Player

Pretty much showed that we're just not at the level of Geelong. What I didn't appreciate though, is how well coached they are. They set up a really good zone which we couldn't penetrate and also exposed our defenders. So often, our defenders got found out when they zoned off opponents they thought wouldn't be used and instead wen't deeper in defence, only for the Geelong players to use them. The perfect example was the last qtr, when Goddard zoned back only for Steve Johnson to kick it to his man around 40m out. However, their skill allows them to do this when a team such as us wouldn't be able to execute it.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

The ONLY way for the saints to have had a chance today was for EVERY Saints player to have been on song and playing out of their skins.

About half of our team where clearly over-awed and out of their depth.

Turnovers an indecision were the norm....against a pretty ruthless opposition.

I mean did Gram ever actually PASS to a team-mate today? About all I can recollect where high balloon kicks hoping someone might mark it. Actual kicks to advantage were in the main unknown.

Our players in the main were below average against a highly tuned ad in-form opponent.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Davo027
Club Player

Goody wrote
Beaten by a far better side.
In Qual finals this happens, we get another chance, so what.
Cats now nned to beat a rampaging Hawks outfit, we need to beat the Pies.
As I look at it we are all back to square one, if anyone loses, out.
We lost Blake, but Jones played well, we'll be right.
At least we are amongst it
Well said Goody, needed to bring our A game, we didn't...thats history, now we concentrate on next Saturday night...All supporters be there & support the Mighty Saints!!

For more info www.saints.com.au

The above views are those of the author and not necessarily those of the clubs or the AFL.
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

They are no doubt better....but we were bad aswell....

They are not a 10 goal better team....

Well, they are when

Riewoldt has a mare...he needs to kick 4
Gram has a mare....he need to get 25+
Kosi needs to have a big game

and our structure was poor!!!!!!

3 of our bottom 6 are ineffective
Eddy, Gwilt, C.Gardiner....they need to have solid contributions

marksnsparks
Club Player

Was really depressing today. Clearly Geelong have much daylight between them and the rest.

The only sliver of optimism I have is that psychologically we think we can only beat Geelong 1 in every 100 games and we want to make that one time the GF.

Piss weak I know, but what else is there.

Hope Bally is back next week...we so need to beat the filth....we can't let that scum beat us again!