Time To "Shock The Country".....The Rumble In The

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

The Saintsational Man
Club Player

Time To "Shock The Country".....The Rumble In The

Now, even though Ali was a former champion, unlike us, the situation we find ourselves in, draws a striking resemblance to the story below.

The year was 1974, the stage was set in Zaire and the event was aptly named;

"The Rumble In The Jungle"

Muhammad Ali was due to enter the ring, against a man who was considered, at the time, the most devastating and unbeatable boxer in the history of the sport.

George Foreman 40-0 (37 KO), went into the fight, as the unbackable favourite.

Many believed Ali would be destroyed within minutes, just like a former Ali conqueror, Joe Frazier, who had been levelled 6 times by Foreman within 2 rounds, before mercy was called.

But.....as the fight began, Ali, became the aggressor.

He attacked Foreman from the get go and used the, now famous, rope-a-dope to his advantage and wore the unbeatable champion down, en route, to an 8th round KO.

The most devastating and unbeatable boxer in the history of the sport, was defeated soundly and in convincing fashion.

Had George Foreman won that fight against Ali, he could have, very well, retired undefeated 10 years later and been, unquestionably, considered the greatest fighter of all-time.

But.....Foreman was beaten by a man who wanted it more, a man who was willing to give everything he had, a man who was willing to die, to come out of that ring, as the winner.

Geelong could be considered, by many, the best team ever assembled, should they win the premiership this year.

If our boys give everything they have today, if they show that they want that glory more, we will win and "Shock The Country", just like Ali "Shocked The World".

Though the phrase, "I shook up the world", was uttered by Ali after defeated Sonny Liston, I felt my point had more meaning in relation to the George Foreman fight.

As Leigh Matthews said;

"If it bleeds, it can be killed"

Time to kill, the unbeatable, the unbackable, Geelong Football Club.
Last edited by The Saintsational Man on Sun 07 Sep 2008 4:50am, edited 3 times in total.

karnak
Club Player

and it'll be great to see the pussy's go on about the loss too. Especially after we beat them twice in this finals series.

can't wait to see Lyon to say, "yeah your list probably is better just as you'd carried on about 4 years ago, BUT WE WANTED IT MORE

CARN THE SAINTS!

Sam Gilbert you are an EXCITEMENT MACHINE!
St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

Well, today is the day to either put our cards up, or shut up.

If we beat them once, we'll prove to ourselves we can beat them again. If we get absolutely thumped today, then god help anyone else who comes up against them, because they'll cop exactly the same. I reckon we're the last bump in the road for Geelong, as we're the only team bringing some new form and confidence to the table! THAT and trying to get our champion over the line in his last season!

When they created LENNY HAYES (in the shadow of Harvs) they forgot to break the mold (again)- hence the Supremely Incredible Jack Steven!!
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

IF they thump us we'll be out of the finals next week against the Pies.

A big loss will do that, especially against Geelong.

Let's hope it's a decent contest for at least 3/4 of the game!

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:IF they thump us we'll be out of the finals next week against the Pies.

A big loss will do that, especially against Geelong.

Let's hope it's a decent contest for at least 3/4 of the game!
A mate of mine said the worst thing we could do is finish 4th and play Geelong as you put so many eggs into beating them you are stuffed the next week as in North. I disagree completely as we could have lost to the pies yesterday and it would be all over.

Does anyone have a record of how sides that gave the Cats a good go this year ent the following week. Would be interesting to look at.

Schillaci
Club Player

I think we can win. I hope like anything that we will win. I expect our players to leave the ground with nothing left. I think we will lose though. I'm not getting my hopes up too much but am genuinely excited by the possibilities.

Rowdy
Club Player

Only 10 min til kick off, palms are sweaty, nervous as hell, not sure l can even watch the game. :shock: :shock:

Come on Saints, play good footy and we are in with a shot.

"Our season is still alive," Lyon said. "It's not the end for Robert."

Harvey's mates stood listening to those words, perhaps planning to keep the AFL's longest career lingering a while yet. Then turned into softcocks and blew it YET again.