NOTHING is ever guaranteed

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

To the top
SS Life Member

NOTHING is ever guaranteed

Just a story from the achives.

In 1978, Sturt went thru the SANFL season as the dominant side, losing just once to West Adelaide.

They won the 2nd Semi relatively easily to progress to the GF.

At 3 quarter time in the GF they led by 29 points.

Within 16 minutes of the last quarter they trailed - from which time the lead chopped and changed.

Norwood won by a point 16.15 to 14.26.

The unbeatable had been beaten in the biggest game of the season - before a sell out West Lakes crowd of 60,000.

Nothing is EVER guaranteed.

chook23
Saintsational Legend

for everyone of above

99 go the expected way

saint4life
howlinwolf
Club Player

We're all hoping for the OP's story to come true for us tomorrow.

We're now good at coming from behind and we'll need to be or lose and our dishes are done for 2008.

Go Sainters !

brown-coat
SS Hall of Fame

It's like every olympics when the boomers play the USA dream team. You live on nothing but the belief it will be that 1 in 100 game and you'll win it. It never is...but one day it will.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Hmmm...Saints looked pretty unbeatable in '97 too! Not quite as good a record, but 9 in a row going into the GF.

I think Geelong are beatable anyway...no magic, no voodoo, they're a team just like any other. Remember the NAB Cup, plus look at our stats last time we played 'em! They won comfortably on the scoreboard but got smashed everywhere else...their unbeatable midfield had much less clearances to 3/4 time. Plus, we were possibly at out lowest ebb for the season (G-Train's last game, wasn't it?). I'd be a lot more confident with Bally in the team, but I can't remember the Saints playing a final in recent times without major contributors missing...it's the St Kilda way!

The Linton Street Flash
Club Player

Re: NOTHING is ever guaranteed

To the top wrote:Just a story from the achives.

In 1978, Sturt went thru the SANFL season as the dominant side, losing just once to West Adelaide.

They won the 2nd Semi relatively easily to progress to the GF.

At 3 quarter time in the GF they led by 29 points.

Within 16 minutes of the last quarter they trailed - from which time the lead chopped and changed.

Norwood won by a point 16.15 to 14.26.

The unbeatable had been beaten in the biggest game of the season - before a sell out West Lakes crowd of 60,000.

Nothing is EVER guaranteed.
I was at that game - went with my dad as an 11 year old.

we supported a team that failed to make the finals so we followed norwood for the day.

I'll never forget it - it was amazing - I often credit that game for giving me the footy bug.

phil "no neck" gallagher won the game off his own boot - the crowd was in raptures...

If i had to make 3 wishes I'm sure I'd chose a win like this for the saints as one of them - unbeatable feeling!

Look again it's the Flash!!
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Saints have already done it in 1966.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
To the top
SS Life Member

Yes Linton Street Flash, a great day.

It was a truly team effort that day, inspired by Hammond's address at 3 quarter time - and we showed good grace when "28" introduced himself to the Sturt bench (where the Coaches sat in those days).

Handshakes were exchanged and the game went on.

"28" followed up his act of good grace by kicking around his body to put us in front.

"Gags" put us back in front for the last and final time.

The point (excuse the pun) taken from that day is that you always have belief in yourself and your team and you never give up.

Because anything can happen.

Everyone does everything they can, and some do that bit more and some others do that bit more again.

That is what finals is all about.

We want St Kilda to establish a winning culture in finals football - a culture which will stand the test of time for the entire club and all associated with the club.

And this is as good a time to start as any.

Opportunity knocks, so let's grab it!

stinger
Saintsational Legend

if it bleeds ...you can kill it.......... :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
linz
Club Player

stinger wrote:if it bleeds ...you can kill it.......... :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
On the radio today the anomally was Saints with bayonet charging a machine gun placement. Hope there gun jams.

I once spent a year in Adelaide, I think it was on a Sunday.
OneEyedSainter77
SS Life Member

brown-coat wrote:It's like every olympics when the boomers play the USA dream team. You live on nothing but the belief it will be that 1 in 100 game and you'll win it. It never is...but one day it will.
Possibly the best post I've ever seen form you on Saintsational....

I would love today to be that one in a hundred game - And I love this belief that one day it will be.

Expect the unexpected.