Birss Out

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Saints Premiers 2008 wrote:
Bernard Shakey wrote:Mini and X are good ins.

Birss' defensive side not as good as either.

For mine X will get Steve Johnson, Mini one of the mids.
perfer blake go to johnson...he doesnt have to do much to sj to put him off his game, continuously push/shove him an away we go
Laughable Blake would be destroyed by Steve J hasnt got the agilty and would be turned inside out. :roll:

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
stinger
Saintsational Legend

True Believer wrote:
plugger66 wrote:We clearly know more than RL because we obviously know who everyone is playing on.
What are you people doing to me. I am now down to having to quote and support Plunger :shock: :shock: :roll:

This isn't about rating one player against another and who you think is better, it's about who is best suited to the role the coach has in mind for the strategy and structure he wants to employ.

As we are not privvy to this information, then we are hardly in the position to criticise his choices, are we?? Unless some of you recently coached a team to a place on the AFL ladder higher than 4th?

:wink: :wink: :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: 8-) 8-) 8-) :D :wink:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Birss is stiff no doubt.

However RL knows what match-ups he wishes to try. We don't.

He obviously thinks that Mini is a better fit for his intended match-ups.

Mini played well well when he came in....and so did Birrs.

Birss is better forward than Mini IMO...but with X in...plus Schneider and 44 in the team plus CJ...we do not need another smallish forward.

Mini is probably a better "pure" tag though. I would have been happy with either player.

Birss is still stiff though!!!!

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:For mine X will get Steve Johnson, Mini one of the mids.
perfer blake go to johnson...he doesnt have to do much to sj to put him off his game, continuously push/shove him an away we go
i hope it's not x or blake. x should play midfield with instructions to go hard at the ball, get tackles and clearances but no specific man. he can be pretty damaging playing 60% of the game in the middle.

hudghton on johnson.
blake on mooney.
gilbert on lonergan.
s fisher on gamble.

johnson's their most dangerous forward. max is our best backman. if he can nullify johnson, that's a huge advantage to us. he's gonna need help outside 50, but i rate max to do it.

the other three are a bit of a raffle, really, but this seems to work. i like s fisher running off gamble, gilbert's definitely good enough spoiling to take out the kid in lonergan, and i don't really rate mooney so blake just has to stick with him and give him a little bit of niggle.

yipper
SS Life Member

The only question marks on Birss would be a lack of pace, mini is quicker. Recent mini scalps:

Boomer Harvey.
Sam Mitchell
Nick Stevens.

Probably felt to be the more suitable option for an Ablett, Selwood or Bartel.

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
Winmar7Fan
Club Player

This guy is with OUT DOUBT the most unluckiest player in or should I say out of our side. Every time he comes in and plays what I see as a good game he gets dropped again.

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:
Bernard Shakey wrote:For mine X will get Steve Johnson, Mini one of the mids.
i hope it's not x or blake. x should play midfield with instructions to go hard at the ball, get tackles and clearances but no specific man. he can be pretty damaging playing 60% of the game in the middle.

hudghton on johnson.
blake on mooney.
gilbert on lonergan.
s fisher on gamble.

johnson's their most dangerous forward. max is our best backman. if he can nullify johnson, that's a huge advantage to us. he's gonna need help outside 50, but i rate max to do it.

the other three are a bit of a raffle, really, but this seems to work. i like s fisher running off gamble, gilbert's definitely good enough spoiling to take out the kid in lonergan, and i don't really rate mooney so blake just has to stick with him and give him a little bit of niggle.
max is not quick enough to go with sj - although in theory its a good ploy it won't work - maxxy is too good a backman to play on lonergan and mooney however he is too slow to play on sj

gilbo to lonergan is a go-er...he could towel him up and make him pay on the rebound when he decides to go for a gallop

sam fish onto chapman??? he is still very underrated as a defender regardless of his rebounding capabilities....

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

Mooney is number 1 in average marks for Geelong...

Mooney is second in most goals scored for Geelong this season (only 3 short off Johnson).. 46 - 49 goals

I say again Mooney is the key to Geelong's forward structure...

I would give Blake first go IMO and if that fails give it to either Max or Fisher

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

yipper wrote:The only question marks on Birss would be a lack of pace, mini is quicker. Recent mini scalps:

Boomer Harvey.
Sam Mitchell
Nick Stevens.

Indeed...and this is probably the reason for the change.

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

If Mooney, Lonergan and Johnson are nullified and our mid field players match or even are slightly below theirs, we will have an excellent chance in beating them IMO

but again Mooney is the key

Their only loss this year was against Collingwood...

Mooney kicked just 1 goal, Johnson was goalless and Lonergan didn't play...

Hawkins played in that game and kick just the one.

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

St Fidelius wrote:If Mooney, Lonergan and Johnson are nullified and our mid field players match or even are slightly below theirs, we will have an excellent chance in beating them IMO

one loss

what happened during out 9 losses this year???

im sure roo, milne and kosi would have kicked bugger all in some of our losses

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

St Fidelius wrote:If Mooney, Lonergan and Johnson are nullified and our mid field players match or even are slightly below theirs, we will have an excellent chance in beating them IMO

one loss

what happened during out 9 losses this year???

im sure roo, milne and kosi would have kicked bugger all in some of our losses
I am talking about their only loss and maybe the reason why they did lose....

Brown was on Mooney and kept him to the one goal....

O'Brian was on Johnson and kept him quiet until late in the game but was still held goalless

Hawkins only had the 1 kick for the first 3 quarters but managed to 1.1 in the last...

I am not talking about their wins I am looking at their loss.......

Mooney is their key IMO

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

The tackle count in that match was 85 Collingwood to 49 Geelong

kaos theory
Club Player

Birss is stiff no doubt.

Birss is better forward than Mini IMO...but with X in...plus Schneider and 44 in the team plus CJ...we do not need another smallish forward.

Mini is probably a better "pure" tag though. I would have been happy with either player.

SR its a good change.

Mini has slightly more skill & pace than briss. He is also a better tager, as others have already said.

He was playing very well before he went out, better than briss (though briss wasn't bad..)

mini is also a good kick at goal, so he can nail a goal or 2 if he is in range.

The 2 changes are good, they improve the talent level in the team. We need that because sloppy skills will be punished more serverly by the cats...

I'm feeling very good about this game...

kaos theory
Club Player

i would have personally preferred birss over mini as he can uses the ball better and kick the odd goal.
No, mini is better skilled than birss, and a little more pace, and equally as good kick for goal, if not better.

I'm hoping Mini has finally found his confidence and rythym. He was very good before he got sick, and was replaced by birss. He has the ability to be a regualr in the 22...

bigred
Saintsational Legend

yipper wrote:The only question marks on Birss would be a lack of pace, mini is quicker. Recent mini scalps:

Boomer Harvey.
Sam Mitchell
Nick Stevens.

Agreed.

Am I the only person here NOT surprised by this decision?

sheesh. Of course mini was going to come in to do a job on any one of their mids...I wouldnt say that he is definately going to Ablett like so many keep bleeting. Bartell, Selwood, Corey...take your pick. Mini is quicker and seems to be able to concentrate defensively better than Birss, who, granted, has much more attack in his game. Birss is stiff...but its horses for courses.

Of course X was going to come in. He's fit, ready. He's always gonna be in our best 22.

Our backline has been freakin sensational over the past couple of months. I honestly think they are capable of shutting them down. Just need to limit the quality and quantity of the delivery.

This team has been picked to do a job. Execute a plan that our coaches think will win.

Gotta back em guys. If our mids hold out, our backline will win pretty much every position. They have done some decent shutdowns over the last ten weeks. The stats dont lie.

If we can turn it around and get some delivery....

F*** this is a massive game lols.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

kaos theory wrote:
Birss is stiff no doubt.

SR its a good change.

Mini has slightly more skill & pace than briss. He is also a better tager, as others have already said.

He was playing very well before he went out, better than briss (though briss wasn't bad..)

mini is also a good kick at goal, so he can nail a goal or 2 if he is in range.

The 2 changes are good, they improve the talent level in the team. We need that because sloppy skills will be punished more serverly by the cats...

I'm feeling very good about this game...
I agree, though Birss is still stiff.... i agree with the change.

(by the way stiff to me means unlucky.....)

What this is a sign of is increased depth.

groupie1
Club Player

birss... lack of pace? gimme a break, he's practically the team's quickest. Birss unlucky, X very lucky

Gordon Fode couldda been Plugga
james rose
Club Player

when you compare the two the only area I think birss wins out on is marking ability...

that's not to say that birss hasn't been unlucky this year I think he should of been getting many more games.. but he is exactly the sort of depth player it is good to have.

mcq:
can play as a midfielder or tagger
has very good skills
has been hard at it
has more pace
is fitter?

birss is still a very good gop

Winmar7Fan
Club Player

james rose wrote:when you compare the two the only area I think birss wins out on is marking ability...

that's not to say that birss hasn't been unlucky this year I think he should of been getting many more games.. but he is exactly the sort of depth player it is good to have.

mcq:
can play as a midfielder or tagger
has very good skills
has been hard at it
has more pace
is fitter?

birss is still a very good gop

I see it different Birss

better tagger
harder at it
better finisher at goal

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

There's a lot of love for Birss on here. He actually reminds me of the season Charlie Gardiner had last season for Geelong, excellent at VFL level, acceptable at AFL level, but unable to force and hold a spot.

I was really surprised when Mini didn't come straight back in to be honest. I've thought Birss was servicable-good against both Adelaide and Essendon... but Mini's been about the same over a longer period of time in matches where we didn't run away with it leaving everyone looking good.

This decision is a shufflinf of deck chairs really. Probabl matchup related, and only on here will it be considered a big deal if the Saints don't get up (which, since we're a massive underdog, means this thread could be a long one!)

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

blake to cam mooney

max on johnson.

johnson is a hot head and max will rile him up with discipline.

blake can take mooney because mooney is a thug and blake is discipline and tough, will take mooney's behind the play punches and continue to stick to him like glue.

not worried about our defenders, worried about the cats midfield :oops:

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
Saint_in_SA
Club Player

BAM! (shhhh) wrote:There's a lot of love for Birss on here. He actually reminds me of the season Charlie Gardiner had last season for Geelong, excellent at VFL level, acceptable at AFL level, but unable to force and hold a spot.

I was really surprised when Mini didn't come straight back in to be honest. I've thought Birss was servicable-good against both Adelaide and Essendon... but Mini's been about the same over a longer period of time in matches where we didn't run away with it leaving everyone looking good.

This decision is a shufflinf of deck chairs really. Probabl matchup related, and only on here will it be considered a big deal if the Saints don't get up (which, since we're a massive underdog, means this thread could be a long one!)
Mini to Ablett scares me a bit, although who do you put on a bloke who has proved himself untaggable. The only way is to do what we did with Judd, and run a Gram type player to hurt the other way too.

A-HUH A-HUH A-HUH
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Boomer Harvey.
Sam Mitchell
Nick Stevens.
Birss, as far as i can tell, has kept the following players to...

Round 7 Foley, 22 Disposals, 77DT, 107SC (Avg 74DT, 86.7SC)
Round 8 Heath Shaw, 11 Disposals, 40DT, 44SC (Avg 81.8SC, 91.5DT)
Round 9 Brisbane, vs a number of opponents, had 20 Disposals, 10 marks, kicked 2 goals.
Round 10 Brad Green, 16 Disposals, 60DT, 68SC (Avg 98.6SC, 100.5DT)
Round 21 Van Berlo, 15 Disposals, 51SC, 31DT (Avg 85SC, 84.5DT)

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

The more I think about this, the more I don't really think it's a straight up Birss-McQualter swap anyway. McQualter's in for Dempster, and will get a job on Chapman, while X is in for Birss, and will have a forward pressure defensive role.

I DON'T think Mini will go to Ablett. I think in the 2nd half of the year we've tried to go head'to-head in those situations, so I susoect it will be Hayes (without Ball the only guy we've got who can both play in the centre square and lay a tackle onto Ablett with any hope of sticking).

I think it more likely Mini's there for Chappy. Gilbert to Johnson, Max to Lonergan, and Blake to Mooney.

But I've always been terrible at guessing defensive matchups :)

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford