Official teams for Sunday

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

S.A Saint
Club Player

Official teams for Sunday

FIRST QUALIFYING FINAL
GEELONG v ST KILDA
Geelong
B: Tom Harley, Matthew Scarlett, Josh Hunt
HB: Corey Enright, Andrew Mackie, Darren Milburn
C: Cameron Ling, Jimmy Bartel, Joel Corey
HF: Steve Johnson, Cameron Mooney , Mathew Stokes
F: Paul Chapman, Tom Lonergan, Travis Varcoe
Foll: Brad Ottens, Joel Selwood, Gary Ablett
I/C: Mark Blake, Brent Prismall, Max Rooke, Harry Taylor
EMG: Ryan Gamble, David Wojcinski, Shannon Byrnes

In: Mackie, Rooke
Out: Shannon Byrnes, Ryan Gamble

St Kilda
B: Jason Blake, Max Hudghton, Raphael Clarke
HB: Sam Gilbert, Sam Fisher, Jason Gram
C: Clint Jones, Nick Dal Santo, Robert Harvey
HF: James Gwilt, Nick Riewoldt, Leigh Montagna
F: Stephen Milne, Justin Koschitzke, Adam Schneider
Foll: Steven King, Lenny Hayes, Brendon Goddard
I/C: Charlie Gardiner, Andrew McQualter, Xavier Clarke, Robert Eddy
EMG: Jack Steven, David Armitage, Shane Birss

In: McQualter, X. Clarke
Out: Sean Dempster (knee), Shane Birss

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

While I know that anything can happen in a game of footy, Geelong looks much better than us with that team. None of Raph, Jones, Gwilt, Gardiner, McQualter or Eddy would be close to a game at Geelong, while Blake, Gilbert, King and X would be no certainties either.

Geelong's 3 emergencies would all be in our 22.

If we are to have any chance we will need to play well above anything we've produced this year, and Geelong will need to have an off-day.

I think the key is that our midfield just matches Geelong's. Hayes, Goddard, Harvey, Montagna, Dal Santo and McQualter have to give nothing to Ablett, Bartel, Corey Selwood, Ling and Prismall.

Superboot
SS Life Member

I don't want to be critical but I can't believe they dropped Birss.

Totally stunned.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:While I know that anything can happen in a game of footy, Geelong looks much better than us with that team. None of Raph, Jones, Gwilt, Gardiner, McQualter or Eddy would be close to a game at Geelong, while Blake, Gilbert, King and X would be no certainties either.

Geelong's 3 emergencies would all be in our 22.

If we are to have any chance we will need to play well above anything we've produced this year, and Geelong will need to have an off-day.

I think the key is that our midfield just matches Geelong's. Hayes, Goddard, Harvey, Montagna, Dal Santo and McQualter have to give nothing to Ablett, Bartel, Corey Selwood, Ling and Prismall.
/deep breath.

I think our backs look solid, with a lot of options and flexibility.

I think our forward line looks solid, with lots of options and flexibility.

I think our backs can beat their forwards.

I think our forwards can beat their backs.

We need to stop their mids from having easy shots & delivery.

We need to make every entry count.

That team can beat Geelong.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
Buckets
SS Life Member

Kelly was very important last time we met. He comprehensively shut Grams running down. Not only that but he was having a slump at the time so it could he could become key to our run through the centre. Alot of that game represented what we saw in the first half of the season. Glimpses of what could be, but not a sustained effort. Yes the Cats werent also at their peak but i trully believe that we have the ability to improve more and what better way to do it than in a QF!

Geelong deserve to go in as favourites they have been fantastic all year! But make no mistake we have the ability to not only take it up to the Cats but also beat them! This team has slowly but surely come together and have played better footy in the second half of the season. Last week althought against a very inferior team we played what i believed to be the first 4 QUARTER game of footy ALL YEAR!!!!

I would rather like the idea of us building towards something special then coming out of the blocks like we did in 04 and then die in the arse somewhat!
I will be there on Sunday letting my voice be heard as the MIGHTY SAINTS run onto the hallowed turf of the MCG!

Thats Mr. Smartarse to you
St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

I personally can't see the problem. I think we've got more than enough talent to turn the game in our favour. Determination and consistent pressure is the only measurable difference between the two sides.

Just because those names with Geelong have been associated to a GF, to me, doesn't mean they are necessarily better. I'll take my opinion back IF we can't cross the line on Sunday.

Most people tell me I'm dreaming, they happen to be the same ones I flogged in this years footy tipping comp :lol: And no, I didn't always tip the Saints either 8-)

When they created LENNY HAYES (in the shadow of Harvs) they forgot to break the mold (again)- hence the Supremely Incredible Jack Steven!!
saintsrus
SS Hall of Fame

Superboot wrote:I don't want to be critical but I can't believe they dropped Birss.

Totally stunned.
Agreed, poor guy, what does he have to do? Tried his guts out, even the Bummer supporters i work with said he was good last week

Before Im 85
St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

Obviously our selectors have found that someone who's shown more of a competitive nature in McQualter. That's a good sign as far as I'm concerned! The more competition we get in our reserves, the harder players are going to want to perform to break into the side! Good signs!

When they created LENNY HAYES (in the shadow of Harvs) they forgot to break the mold (again)- hence the Supremely Incredible Jack Steven!!
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Superboot wrote:I don't want to be critical but I can't believe they dropped Birss.

Totally stunned.
I do.

Am VERY dissapointed for Birss - he was v good last week in a shut down role, his tackles stick AND he can at least be dangerous going fwd.

IF the plan is to use Mqualter in a pure shut down role I hope it works cause if it doesnt I just do not seeing him giving us any added flexibility/extra pressure upforward which is critical against Geelong.

WTF does Birss need to do?

“Yeah….nah””
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:

Totally stunned.
I do.

Am VERY dissapointed for Birss - he was v good last week in a shut down role, his tackles stick AND he can at least be dangerous going fwd.

IF the plan is to use Mqualter in a pure shut down role I hope it works cause if it doesnt I just do not seeing him giving us any added flexibility/extra pressure upforward which is critical against Geelong.

As you know more the coach when are you applying for the job?

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Cats have won their last 13.

They are due for a loss and this would be the perfect week for them to have it.

GO SAINTERS

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
Aussie Bears
Club Player

why the f%#k was Birss dropped

A year that doesn't end in frustration...please
Buckets
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:
Teflon wrote:

Totally stunned.
I do.

Why are you always making sure that you put anyone's opinion down Plugger? It seems as though you rarely have anything positive to say on the forum. What gives????

Thats Mr. Smartarse to you
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Teflon wrote:

Totally stunned.
I do.

Are you the person that gives out the head job?

Just curious.

“Yeah….nah””
MasonCJ2
Club Player

Birss - agreed. The method of announcing the changes to the team was a disgrace. I can't recall a poor game - clearly not a top liner, but I feel a little more safe with him near the ball than two or three others to begin with. Nonetheless, McQualter and Eddy have done well through the year as well. Can't help feel that our bottom five or six will be a little scary on the final Sat in September. And not in a good way looking at the depth of the Cats and even the Hawks. We will work the Hawks showbag extravaganza out once again. I'm never all that confident with Saints games and do not regularly call wins, but if we do lose to the Cats (probable), if we can get past the Crows (probable) or the Pies (50-50), then I would be reasonably confident that we will shut down their midfield and we have the defence to cut down the Hawks. They won't get the same latitude as tonight ... Doggies, embarrassing!

We are a sniff
The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

I have news - Shane Birss has been good, but we're playing Geelong. Ergo, how physical a player can be is vital. Let's not forget that McQ racked up good scalps, like Mitchell and Harvey. I think the trust of brains just think we need a bit more grunt. Given this line up, McQ (who has a hunger) will go to someone like the Son of an Addict (aka born again extracter of life from confused 20 Y.O.). Why isn't their favourite son in jail? At the very least, our favourite son is a damn fine citizen, a good man, and genuinely respected by all and regarded by his peers.

F*** I hate this mob. Costa made his $'s from the F&V markets, but, oh he's clean. The GSC is stuffed on the back of corrupt local officials. The whole joint's been propped up by car industry subsidies to Ford. Their coach is a leech, their captain is a moralising tosser (e.g. Freo went at 'em, but it was OK for some dog named West to pick X off, Mooney to kick Joey's legs out from under, and Gamble to snipe Dal. But, hey, Harley wouldn't lie to you).

F*** 'em. Let's see how they handle real competition. We're up, so let's have a crack.

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
bigred
Saintsational Legend

The method of announcing the changes to the team was a disgrace
Oh please.

Next time the club will make sure they call and get the all clear from you first....

:shock:

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
groupie1
Club Player

Birss to consider himself unfairly done by -great game agaisnt Adelaide (the Essendon game is of no benefit). I thought C Gardiner out for McQ is fine -has X earned his place back, is he HARD enough, I think Birss has earned his place. He's the Attard guy, the not-quite but almost Baker guy we need - plus he kicks goals, plus he has pace. Harsh - but obviously RL wouldn't have dropped him without a reason or a plan

Keep chopping away Birss - you'll be a permanent member of the 22 soon

Gordon Fode couldda been Plugga
JeffDunne

I'm disappointed for Birss as he really doesn't seem to have done much wrong when he's been called up. He's clearly the next in line this week and the poor blighter will probably miss out again when Ball is fit.

However I think Mini has certainly earnt his spot in the team and X is a walk up start if fit (IMO)

Dempster's the one I really feel sorry for.