Prelim times

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

avid
Club Player

Prelim times

Trying very VERY hard not to get ahead of ourself here, but does anyone know whether the Saturday preliminary final is played on Sat afternoon or Sat night?
(I have a family engagement that night. Just looking at my options for getting expelled from the clan.)

my les foote
Club Player

Don't worry, the winner of Sunday's game should play on the Friday night.

Win it for HIM!
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

my les foote wrote:Don't worry, the winner of Sunday's game should play on the Friday night.
Why?

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Not sure about that...

I think the AFL might want to give advantage to the highest placed winner so that for GF they gain an extra day of rest.

So if Cats win = Fri night

If Saints win...then Hawks/Dogs may then gain the advantage??????

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
fonz_#15
SS Life Member

don't they play one prelim on the saturday arvo and the other on the saturday night so the break between games is as close as possible?

Robert Harvey- Simply the best
RedWhiteBlack
Club Player

fonz_#15 wrote:don't they play one prelim on the saturday arvo and the other on the saturday night so the break between games is as close as possible?
Not necessarily. This year both preliminary finals will be played at the MCG and it's simply not feasible to play two matches back to back! Also, last year's Geelong v Collingwood clash was on a Friday night.

fonz_#15
SS Life Member

RedWhiteBlack wrote:
fonz_#15 wrote:don't they play one prelim on the saturday arvo and the other on the saturday night so the break between games is as close as possible?
Not necessarily. This year both preliminary finals will be played at the MCG and it's simply not feasible to play two matches back to back! Also, last year's Geelong v Collingwood clash was on a Friday night.
correct you are...silly me

Robert Harvey- Simply the best
avid
Club Player

Thanks guys, for your thoughts.
But I wasn't expecting to win straight through to the prelim -- more likely to lose then win, and play in the non-Geelong prelim. Which according to saintsRrising would mean the non-Friday night prelim.
My question is still: is there a chance that the 2nd prelim would be played on Saturday afternoon rather than Saturday night?
Surely someone must know!

my les foote
Club Player

Bernard Shakey wrote:
my les foote wrote:Don't worry, the winner of Sunday's game should play on the Friday night.
Why?
I was assuming they would play Friday - Saturday for the next two weeks.

Loser of Saints Cats would have to play on the Saturday next week. Can't see them forcing the winner of that game to play a Friday prelim and potentially having two six day breaks.

Which leaves the winner on Sunday playing on the Friday week and having an 8 day break before the GF

Win it for HIM!
saint66au
Saintsational Legend

avid wrote:Thanks guys, for your thoughts.
But I wasn't expecting to win straight through to the prelim -- more likely to lose then win, and play in the non-Geelong prelim. Which according to saintsRrising would mean the non-Friday night prelim.
My question is still: is there a chance that the 2nd prelim would be played on Saturday afternoon rather than Saturday night?
Obviously TV would love to have the Prelim on Sat night, but the teams obviously would prefer to play Sat arvo so that the 2 winners get as similar preparation time as possible

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
bozza1980
Club Player

You are right saint66au the teams would prefer to play an afternoon match.

I have a feeling that the very earliest it will be played though would be as a twilight match.

n1ck
Saintsational Legend

I was wondering this too.

In the interest of asking for the right days off work, is there any chance of a Sunday game for teh rest of the finals?

If not, I will just ask for every Saturday... as I do not work Friday nights anyway.

n1ck
Saintsational Legend

n1ck wrote:I was wondering this too.

In the interest of asking for the right days off work, is there any chance of a Sunday game for teh rest of the finals?

If not, I will just ask for every Saturday... as I do not work Friday nights anyway.
Bump.

Anyone know the dates / days for all potential finals?

spyglass
Club Player

very unlikely for there to be any more Sunday games after this week's game

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote:
avid wrote:Thanks guys, for your thoughts.
Obviously TV would love to have the Prelim on Sat night, but the teams obviously would prefer to play Sat arvo so that the 2 winners get as similar preparation time as possible
last year they went for a compromise - a Sat twilight game - I think it was Port vs Eagles at about 4pm Adelaide time (hard to believe those teams could've been so close yet so far this year eh???).

So....

I'll bank on a 4.30pm start on Saturday and a 7.50pm start on Friday night, both at the MCG for the Prelims!

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

n1ck wrote:
n1ck wrote:I was wondering this too.

Bump.

Anyone know the dates / days for all potential finals?
No chance of another Sunday final beyond this week.

All finals in Week 2 and 3 are on Friday and Saturday.

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

After Brisbane played a Saturday Night Prelim at the MCG in 2004 & complained it severely disadavantaged them for the Grand Final the AFL has scheduled the prelim finals to Friday Night and Saturday afternoon.

I doubt we will see another Sat night prelim final unless the TV Networks get their wish for a Sat night Grand Final.

avid
Club Player

Dear 3rd Gen Saint,
This is exactly what I want to hear! Partly because you sound like you know something fairly definitively. And partly because it's the answer I want!
Can anyone else confirm this -- no Saturday night prelim final?
Fingers crossed -- it'll work for me.

Oh, yes... And fingers crossed that we win one of the next two finals.

Richter
SS Life Member

avid wrote:
One of the reasons the Lions complained in 04 was that they couldnt fly back to Brisbane that same night as it was too late. So I reckon that if the Sat game is between two Melbourne teams it will be in the evening but if an interstate team is involved it will be in the arvo.

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Richter wrote:
avid wrote:
One of the reasons the Lions complained in 04 was that they couldnt fly back to Brisbane that same night as it was too late. So I reckon that if the Sat game is between two Melbourne teams it will be in the evening but if an interstate team is involved it will be in the arvo.
I reckon you are right.

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

3rd generation saint wrote:After Brisbane played a Saturday Night Prelim at the MCG in 2004 & complained it severely disadavantaged them for the Grand Final the AFL has scheduled the prelim finals to Friday Night and Saturday afternoon.

I doubt we will see another Sat night prelim final unless the TV Networks get their wish for a Sat night Grand Final.
ahh i think Brisbane also complained because that final should have been in Brisbane, however due to that "MCG must hold X amount of finals" rule that was recently changed, the game had to be held in Melbourne

Or was that the year before??

I'm another who is hoping for an arvo Prelim if we make it...I committed a while back to a family 70th Birthday dinner that night...seemed pretty safe when we trudged off Subi just 5 weeks ago hehehe

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor