1991 Harvey prediction article

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

TriColourDisciple
Club Player

1991 Harvey prediction article

Found some clippings collected from late 80's early 90's. Come accross a great article by Ken Piesse regarding a young and Saints new comer Robert Harvey. It read,
St Kilda president Travis Payze has predicted that Robert Harvey, "will one day win a Brownlow Medal."
Elated by the sides 131 point win and Harvey's 39 possession effort against Adelaide at Moorabbin on Saturday, Payze said Harvey was still not at his best after a bout of Glandular fever, but still stunning everyone with his skill.
As we all know now Payze was wrong...... Harvs won 2 Brownlows! The great Robert Harvey blitzing in 1991 and still in 2008!!!
[/i]

Proudly Brainwashed since 1972
St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

Amazing looking back on someone's career like that. Makes you really wonder what other champions we have in our midst's with potentially impressive careers ahead of them :D

Harvs' career has sure been incredible. I pray to whatever powers there be that something really special happens for him over the next 4 weeks!

When they created LENNY HAYES (in the shadow of Harvs) they forgot to break the mold (again)- hence the Supremely Incredible Jack Steven!!
TimeToShineFellas
SS Hall of Fame

TCD was that the article saying at the time that Banger would be better than Daicos?

If it is, it had a huge liftout poster of him (of which I duly got autographed that same year, but for the life of me I don't know where it's gone :( )

duckduckduckgoose
Club Player

good find!

I bought a shirt from Target once.
It had a hard tag on it too.

I know how Dal feels.
TriColourDisciple
Club Player

OMG l've also found the front page of the paper with Nicky holding up his jumper -GOLD! Also, Here are some of Barrassi's predictions of the AFL in the year 2000 (from 1990) "Adelaide will be in...there will be noises of the ACT & tasmania becoming part of the national competition"..."State of Origin will be bigger & better than ever with NSW looming as rival to SA, & WA as the main challenger to to Victoria's domination of Australian football".."By 2010 there will be six Victorian teams"..

TriColourDisciple
Club Player

TTSF,No it's from "lnside Football" May 1991

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

I'm absolutely fanging to get my hands on a copy of a the Football Record from 1992 with Winmar, Kicket and McAdam on the cover - sensational.

Boy did I love those three...

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

mcadam05
Club Player

TimeToShineFellas wrote:TCD was that the article saying at the time that Banger would be better than Daicos?

If it is, it had a huge liftout poster of him (of which I duly got autographed that same year, but for the life of me I don't know where it's gone :( )
the poster is from the Sunday Age dated 21st April 1991 if i knew how too post a pic of it i would :)

theres also a full page story with the headline - " The 'magic' kid who just might rival Peter Daicos" by Mike Sheahan

mcadam05
Club Player

evertonfc wrote:I'm absolutely fanging to get my hands on a copy of a the Football Record from 1992 with Winmar, Kicket and McAdam on the cover - sensational.

if you pm me I will see if i can dig out a copy for you ;) i think i may have a spare one

Schillaci
Club Player

I was at that game....it was a ripper...Saints scored 162 to the Crows 31. One of the best days I've ever had at the footy.
Remember Nigel Smart getting dragged to the sounds of Bronx cheers from the Members and Animal Enclosure after Lockett had kicked a bag against him and Lockett lining up for yet another goal before he had even taken his seat on the bench.

Schillaci
Club Player

evertonfc wrote:I'm absolutely fanging to get my hands on a copy of a the Football Record from 1992 with Winmar, Kicket and McAdam on the cover - sensational.

Winmar and McAdam were great Saints....
Kickett had just the one season with us- his third club, Fremantle saw the best of him using him mostly as an attacking back...his fifth club...I'll remember him as a one year wonder who a bit better than some of our other one year wonder's like Rene Kink

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Schillaci wrote:...I was at that game....it was a ripper...Saints scored 162 to the Crows 31. One of the best days I've ever had at the footy...
Ah yes, in them days interstate clubs knew their place - on the end of a shellacking at Moorabbin!

mcadam05
Club Player

Schillaci wrote:I was at that game....it was a ripper...Saints scored 162 to the Crows 31. One of the best days I've ever had at the footy.
Remember Nigel Smart getting dragged to the sounds of Bronx cheers from the Members and Animal Enclosure after Lockett had kicked a bag against him and Lockett lining up for yet another goal before he had even taken his seat on the bench.

the Cover in Question is from the Match vs Fitzroy Aug 1st 1992 which sadly also marked the last game at Moorabbin :cry:

esaint66
SS Life Member

Yeah i have this record, got it for $1 at Gardenvale Collectables.
From memory it was from the last game at Moorabbin.

If you haven't already PM'ed mcadam05 then you can PM me :wink: