Key Matchups?!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

True Blue Sainter
Club Player

Key Matchups?!

IMO

Hayes v Corey - Head to head. Both players are hard at it, love it in close and set up their teammates with quick hands in the clinches.

Gram v Ablett - Again, head to head. Similar to what Gram did to Judd against Carlton second time around this season. Make sure Gary knows that Gram's dangerous going our way.

Goddard v Selwood - IMO, both are fairly similar when played in the middle. Both have very good all-round games. Try to isolate aerial contests, where Goddard should prevail

Monty v Bartel - Monty has to make sure that Bartel is accountable going the other way.

Ling to Dal - Will inevitably arise... Teammates have to be prepared to block and shepherd the path for Dal, as he is key to our chances. 20-25 effective disposals from Dal will go a long way to setting up a winning score.

Hudghton to Mooney - Niggle him. Get him frustrated. Max is good enough to completely nullify any possible impact Mooney could have. Rough him up a bit.

Fisher to Lonergan - Run off him at every opportunity. Chips is smart enough to judge when to run off, and when to play more accountably. Again, get in his ear and let him know we're serious.

Taylor to Riewoldt - Expose this match up if possible. Try and isolate Roo as much as possible, as he should be too oood for Harry, who has been shown up by some quality forwards.

Scarlett to Gardiner - Charlie has to make sure Scarlett is as close to goal as possible, to minimise his rebounding effectiveness. This is almost a defensive forward job.

Birss to Wojcinski - Take him out of the game. Rough him up, and make sure he knows that Birssy is more than capable of chiming in with a couple of goals...

Hunt to Milne - Hunt has had Milne's measure in recent times, so Milney has to be up for this. He has to stay in dangerous positions, close to goal, and he doesn't have to fly at every contest! Hunt likes to be the third-man up (as do Milburn and Harley), so it is vital Milney follows Hunt to these contests and takes the crumbs.

Now, the match up I found most difficult to consider...

Who for Steve Johnson? I would have said Dempster, but now I'd have to go with Blake. This is a huge role for Blake, but he's good overhead, and has the tank to stay with Johnson when he roams across the middle. If Blake can win this contest, it'll reduce Geelong's potency going forward.

I'm getting excited, GO SAINTERS!

The Saints are coming!
n1ck
Saintsational Legend

Chappy?

St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

Birss to go with Chapman

Jones with Wojcinski

Gwilt with Mackie - defensive forward.

True Blue Sainter
Club Player

St Chris wrote:Birss to go with Chapman

Jones with Wojcinski

Gwilt with Mackie - defensive forward.
I like this thinking...

It is important though that Gwilt still has to present himself as a marking option to dry and drag Mackie away from Riewoldt & Kossie!

The Saints are coming!
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Re: Key Matchups?!

True Blue Sainter wrote:Ling to Dal - Will inevitably arise
i said this in another thread, but why is it inevitable?

do geelong get to choose the match-ups? is it their god-given right for being the reigning premiers?

why not set dal the task of stopping ablett? make him the hunter rather than the hunted for once in his life.

would throw geelong's planning into a bit of confusion and i reckon dal would get just as much of it. imo ling is physically too strong for dal santo

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

I wouldn't be surpised to see Blake on Mooney and Max go to Johnson.

I notice there's no specific matchup for Harvey.

Gee I hope the Cats think that way too.

True Blue Sainter
Club Player

rodgerfox wrote:I wouldn't be surpised to see Blake on Mooney and Max go to Johnson.

I notice there's no specific matchup for Harvey.

Gee I hope the Cats think that way too.
I initially thought your way regarding Mooney and Johnson as well. However, Johnson tends to push up outside the 50 and onto the wings to gather disposals also. I'm not sure if Max has the tank to run with him on his forays into the centre... However, one-on-one, I'd also prefer Blake on Mooney and Max on Johnson.

The Saints are coming!
n1ck
Saintsational Legend

Dare I say it - I hadnt considered it, but could Gilbert go with SJ?

He hasthe tank to run up to the wings and through the middle. He's good enough aerially to outmark SJ and run him the other way.

Hes quick, hard at it, and strong inthe tackle. The more I think about it, the more I like it.

LENNY LEADS THE WAY
Club Player

Ross Lyon vs Mark Thompson

100 percent behind the saints 100 percent of the time
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

n1ck wrote:Dare I say it - I hadnt considered it, but could Gilbert go with SJ?

He hasthe tank to run up to the wings and through the middle. He's good enough aerially to outmark SJ and run him the other way.

Hes quick, hard at it, and strong inthe tackle. The more I think about it, the more I like it.
I would agree with this match-up, except that I fear SJ is too clever a fotballer for Gilbert ATM.

kp83
Club Player

I like it too! I think a better match up than Blake.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Defence

Hudghton - Johnson
Blake - Mooney
Gilbert - Lonergan
S.Fisher - Stokes
L.Fisher? - Chapman
Raph loose

Taggers/negating forward

Birss - Selwood
McQualter - Ablett
Gwilt - Mackie

Geelong defensive match ups
Ling - Dal Santo

Scarlett - Koschitzke
Taylor - Riewoldt
Milburn - C.Gardiner
Hunt - Milne
Enright - Schneider
Harley loose

Head to head

Gram vs Wojcinski
Hayes vs Bartel
King vs Ottens
Goddard vs Corey
Harvey vs Prismall

I'm actually surprised at how well we match up. If we can sustain a four quarter effort then we're half a chance.

n1ck
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:

I would agree with this match-up, except that I fear SJ is too clever a fotballer for Gilbert ATM.
I dont think anyone would disagree with the notion that Johnson is a smarter footballer than Gilbert.

However, I feel that if given a specific role he could do an important job for us.

If he's told not to give SJ an inch, and to try and hurt him on the rebound, I think its a simple enough concept for Gilbo to handle.

LTN16
SS Hall of Fame

mad saint guy wrote:McQualter - Ablett
Think you have it spot on MSG but I certanly don't like this match-up.

sainter123
Club Player

when you think the name geelong you think unstopable.
but when you pul their team apart and look at their players their just as good as us.
if everyone plays as well as they did agianst adelaide and essendon will give them a real fight and i reckon that saintswill win.
go sainter>>>>>>

matrix
Saintsational Legend

scarlett v G train
:P

StSteven
Club Player

and Selwood, tipped to win B&F...who will take him?

LTN16
SS Hall of Fame

No I don't think so..

Put our best defender on their best forward. Max gets the gig.

Put Gilbert on Lonergan, he shouldn't get out muscled and has the height to go with him in the air and put Blake on Mooney with Fisher loose man.
Last edited by LTN16 on Wed 03 Sep 2008 6:16pm, edited 1 time in total.

n1ck
Saintsational Legend

LTN16 wrote:

No I don't think so..

Put Gilbert on Lonergan, he shouldn't get out muscled and has the height to go with him in the air.
Been said before, but SJ plays too far from goal for Maxxy to be an effective opponent.

LTN16
SS Hall of Fame

n1ck wrote:
LTN16 wrote:

No I don't think so..

Put Gilbert on Lonergan, he shouldn't get out muscled and has the height to go with him in the air.
Been said before, but SJ plays too far from goal for Maxxy to be an effective opponent.
I think this is where we miss Dempster.

True Blue Sainter
Club Player

StSteven wrote:and Selwood, tipped to win B&F...who will take him?
Goddard. Similar body sizes. Put them head-to-head.

The Saints are coming!
St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

Posters may laugh at this, but I feel that Mooney is their key....

He holds that forward line together with his marking...

We must have our defenders close to the contest for the spillage because that's where the cat's forwards will be.

I like the thought of Blake taking the job to free up Max on another forward...

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

n1ck wrote:I dont think anyone would disagree with the notion that Johnson is a smarter footballer than Gilbert.

However, I feel that if given a specific role he could do an important job for us.
Gilbert's man tends to kick goals. Johnson can't kick early goals or he sparks the team and we lose. Don't put Gilbert on Johnson.

Gilbert should get Mooney. They're both quick enough but a little cumbersome, and they're pretty well matched for strength. Any of Mooney, Lonergan and Gamble, in fact. But just not Johnson.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

n1ck wrote:
Max did ok on Buddy though.....

However that said I would probably go for Max on Mooney.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
older saint
SS Life Member

mad saint guy wrote:Defence

Hudghton - Johnson
Blake - Mooney
Gilbert - Lonergan
S.Fisher - Stokes
L.Fisher? - Chapman
Raph loose

Taggers/negating forward

Birss - Selwood
McQualter - Ablett
Gwilt - Mackie

Geelong defensive match ups
Ling - Dal Santo

Scarlett - Koschitzke
Taylor - Riewoldt
Milburn - C.Gardiner
Hunt - Milne
Enright - Schneider
Harley loose

Head to head

Gram vs Wojcinski
Hayes vs Bartel
King vs Ottens
Goddard vs Corey
Harvey vs Prismall

I'm actually surprised at how well we match up. If we can sustain a four quarter effort then we're half a chance.
Would like to see if Ling goes to Dal he pushes to Half forward and if he goes to Hayes Hayes then goes to Bartel and tries to create a lose man for us.
Gram to Ablett as no one else has pace and can try to make him accountable. Fisher to Lonegan run off him, Max to Mooney can get into his head, Johnson a worry , perhaps Blake better than gilbert as Gilbert been a little lose and will probably goto Stokes.

Kosi to start in Ruck and Gwilt to FF as a def forwrad on Scarlett ( ala Voss on COrnes 2004 prelim. ) Go through HArley's man a lot as he zones off , same for Makie.

Physical pressure for 120 min is required to succeed which is tough but WHY NOT?