Underdog

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintwill66
Club Player

Underdog

St Kilda's unexpected rise to 4th place on the ladder is in stark contrast to the last couple of times when they finished in the top 4 (2004/2005??). Back then the Saints had much more consistent form and were widely regarded as serious contenders for the flag, only to have those hopes dashed at the penultimate hurdles.

So I reckon the Saints in 2008 may well achieve the impossible after all, because most of this season they have been both inconsistent and patchy - except for the games against Hawthorn and Adelaide where the players took the initiative to come from behind and belt their way to significant wins. It is great form to take into the finals, and should have the players in the right frame of mind - "we CAN beat class opposition teams".

Motivation should also be at the optimum levels - why wouldn't you want to see Banger's retirement capped with a premiership medallion!!!

The significant difference this year is that the Saints are undisputed underdogs for the premiership, which is exactly why they are better placed to achieve precisely that outcome!

n1ck
Saintsational Legend

Yep, very true.

However the underdog status will be gone once we beat Geelong on Sunday.

Monday morning, expect us to move into the $2's for the flag.

:)

bozza1980
Club Player

I think 2005 and this year are quite similar.

We won 5 of our first 12 both seasons won 9 of last 10 in 2005 and 8 of 10 this year.

The difference being that noone in the media really noticed us sneaking up on the top 4 as they jumped over each other to be the first to write us off.

There is only 1 team that has had a better second half to the season this year and that is the Cats. The only team any one thinks can beat the cats we have beaten this year and I think it's also 6 times out of the last 8.

We are a serious Grand Final contender this year.

Ali92
Club Player

We have a great chance to send off Harves with a premiership medallion...not as good as 1997 or even the time we had that agonising loss to the Power...but the coaches have done pretty well with our list this year, at the right time too...everyone talks about Lyon but how can we forget Silvagni's contribution? Max has always been a hungry passionate defender, but he's gotten better this year hasnt he? Just need a few things to fall into place, get our disposals right, reduce clangers, put pressure on the Cats just like the Pies did... yeah its been said over and over...

Global Warming? don't you dare question this or you'll be called a heretic...remember the Catholic Church in the Middle Ages? "the earth is flat !!!"
I thought science was all about finding the truth and asking questions...why do we all have to believe what we are told ffs ????
spert
Saintsational Legend

Don't forget -we have a pretty good defence, and a finals team with a good defence normally does well.

sainter123
Club Player

if our defence holds up agianst the cats.
we will win.
weve got a good system going on down foward.
kosi on the weekend was let lose and was able to play good.
i rarely saw him at ff and i think thats goof for his game.
the coaches hve put everyone in their right posision and their all playing them well.
this wk nd is gonna be a great match.
i think we can do it.
go sainters

Griggsy
SS Life Member

sainter123 wrote:if our defence holds up agianst the cats.
we will win.
weve got a good system going on down foward.
kosi on the weekend was let lose and was able to play good.
i rarely saw him at ff and i think thats goof for his game.
the coaches hve put everyone in their right posision and their all playing them well.
this wk nd is gonna be a great match.
i think we can do it.
go sainters
Me fail english? That's umpossible.

but yes kosi was roaming well on the weekend, if he can contribute a goal or two up front thats all we need.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:Don't forget -we have a pretty good defence, and a finals team with a good defence normally does well.
The loss of Dempster has taken the gloss of though, albeit he is a type of player we can cover although I hope our synergy isn't affected.