Brent Reilly?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Batnoe

bergholt wrote:Not a big enough tackler or defensive-minded enough for our Ross.

Also, he's a bad age - he sits square in the middle of our biggest group of players, those who'll be between 24 and 26 at the start of next year:

Ferguson
Maguire
Ball
Schneider
Gram
Dal Santo
Jones
Dempster
Montagna
Clarke, X
Birss
Gardiner, C

And Kossie, Roo and S Fisher are just a little older.

It sounds pretty dangerous to have a group of this importance all aging at the same time. "List management", dontcha know.
Bad age? and everyone wants Kerr?

Beej
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:It sounds pretty dangerous to have a group of this importance all aging at the same time. "List management", dontcha know.
Aging at the same time is a negative way to look at it.

The key to a premiership list is having a group that will peak at the same time, no?

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

OLB wrote:
bergholt wrote:It sounds pretty dangerous to have a group of this importance all aging at the same time. "List management", dontcha know.
Aging at the same time is a negative way to look at it.

The key to a premiership list is having a group that will peak at the same time, no?
I haven't really got the stats to prove it, but I suspect that the issue is that if everyone peaks at the same time, you run into salary-cap issues, as Brisbane did. The only way they got out of it at the time was with an extra allowance, and by dishing out hugely back-loaded contracts. And regardless, it's messed them up into the future.

And the other problem of having too many players in one age bracket is that then they are hard to replace - if you've got lots of 26 year olds, then you probably don't have many 20 year olds, so you're in trouble in a couple of years.

HarveysDeciple

I was at the dome in round one when the dogs played adelaide and reilly absolutely carved it up.
Was best on ground until he tore a quad or something early in the last quarter and that injury was a huge factor in them losing that game in the end.

Had been a regular player up until then and will be again with whoever he plays for.

Would take him for sure, we have a midfield hole about to emerge with 35's retirement....

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Don't kid yourselves guys, we need genuine mids and ones that can use the ball well. Look at the difference Goddard makes when he gets it.
I'd be all over Reilly like a cheap suit. Very good player, great user of the ball and wins it himself. A little one paced is my only negative.

Crows need a decent forward and can cover the loss of Reilly with the emergence of Knights (potential gun) and Douglas in the midfield.

I'd hate to give up a draft pick with the premium on picks over the next couple of years due to GC17, so a trade is the only possibility.

X.Clarke could be an option, both first rounders from the 01 draft.
Could be a good trade for both clubs.

Maybe Fizz, Ferg & Rix could be an attractive package for Reilly (only if they throw in Knights) :wink:

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Looks like we're all in agreeance.

I propose we pass a motion that Saintsational encourages the St Kilda Football Club to actively trade for Brent Reilly of the Adelaide Football Club so long as his services can be secured for well under the market value due to the 'go home' factor and the increased value of draft picks in 2008.

Seconder?

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

Sobraz
SS Life Member

Prefer to see Steven and Armo step up as two maor contributors in the middle next season... Adding more GOP's just delays thier development IMO...

True Blue Sainter
Club Player

Would like to see Reilly (or Knights) in Saints colours next year. Is a very handy player, and it is important to note that although he averages about 16-18 disposals a game over the last few seasons, many of those games have been played from half-back.

Is a beautiful long kick and would appreciate the closed spaces of the Dome to show off his skills! Bring him in RL!

The Saints are coming!
LennyBoy
Club Player

I've watched Brent Reilly take so many steps back in his career in Adelaide - that I wouldn't waste my time even considering him. Once considered a future captain of that club.

He has a very injury prone body, and clearly is restricted with endurance based work during preseason. Our club does not fit the model of this kind of player, nor want a player with an attitude problem.

If your comparing him to a player from a Victorian Club it would be Angus Monfries, same build and football smarts.

Poochy 1 2 3 4 and 5 should be reinstated!
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

don't know Reilly, but do know that we don't need another mid-career player with a history of significant injuries.

n1ck
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:Looks like we're all in agreeance.

I propose we pass a motion that Saintsational encourages the St Kilda Football Club to actively trade for Brent Reilly of the Adelaide Football Club so long as his services can be secured for well under the market value due to the 'go home' factor and the increased value of draft picks in 2008.

Seconder?
All who support this motion say 'Aye'.

Aye.

LennyBoy
Club Player

n1ck wrote:

Seconder?

Aye.
No Deal Sorry. :lol:

Poochy 1 2 3 4 and 5 should be reinstated!
True Blue Sainter
Club Player

n1ck wrote:

Seconder?

Aye.
AYE!

The Saints are coming!
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

if the kid is sooo good why the crows trading him ?? fact is there must be somthing wrong with him or eles he would be a required player for the crows ?

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
n1ck
Saintsational Legend

He's a Victorian... probably wants to come home?

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:if the kid is sooo good why the crows trading him ?? fact is there must be somthing wrong with him or eles he would be a required player for the crows ?
True, I think Chris Judd was suffering from the same problem.

They prefer Melbourne.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.