St kilda only club to have met with cousins

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

Meh... if it wasn't for the drugs, he'd still be playing today. So he's not your typical washed up has-been player looking to extend his career, coz no one wants him.

If you view him as a bottom 6 player that you can pick up at a fair price... if you'd be happy to have a depth player who has 70% game time and picks up 20 odd possies a week... then it's a no brainer.

If your expectations are that you're getting a gun midfieler in his prime a la Judd, then you are delusional and will be dissapointed.

Bulldogs? Can just see him and Whackermanis being best mates :roll:

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:Draft is a long way off yet....so don't get too excited.

And all clubs would have hada pick or two before we would deema pick cheap enough...

Pick 10? No way...

Pick 26..would seem expensive..

Pick 42...would he be there still?
from Ask Archie- saintscentral.com
asked in relation to "Draft strategy"

In terms of the National Draft we believe it is a strong draft and our emphasis will be on the majority of our picks being new players into the system.
from which I would be lead to beleive no recycling- unless older rookies- and not older players-
but then there is the preseason draft

personally I would maintain my initial response to Ben- no thanks- on age and time out of game.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
StNoodles
Club Player

BigMart wrote:If we were going to use a pick on an injury riddled ruckman who had not played in 3 years....would we go for someone who won the brownlow 3 years ago...whose body is in awesome condition...I wonder

...personally I couldn't give a rats about his drug habit...

I only know of three players who have played with the same level of fitness to Cuz......

Bradley, R.Harvey, Crawford - and they all played until 38, 37, 34.....so considering he has missed 2 years, and his body has had a rest....he may have 3-4 years in him......3-4 Ben Cousins years are better than most second Rnd Draft picks will turn out
Spot on mate. The two year break will have done him a world of good body-wise.

Fill his contract with the appropriate clauses and grab him.

bethb7
Club Player

I did not see that coming I wasn't even really listening to Hutchy last night cause I thought he would just keep running with his story about Cousins going to collingwood. When I heard the saints are the only one's to have talked to him well I was really shocked I must say.

If you can't give the commitment you gave this year and you don't want to improve, you can go because we have unfinished business-Ross Lyon
Megamaguire
Club Player

Cousins ended Saints 2007 finals push!

I remember how he brillienly sunk our saintly hopes of reaching the 2007 finals by burning us off @ the Dome late last year. His speed could suit us big time and if he is willing to be a less profile player and just contribute sensibly he could fit saint kilda very nicely.

Very Tempted!

G O S A I N T S !

The boy can play and we can build a defence around him that will have respect.
WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

Apparently, he WILL be required to nominate via the ND.

He can name a price and only request to be selected by a team, as I understand. If overlooked, he goes in the PSD.

Am I correct on this?

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
makemytime
Club Player

hmmm... what was the last game of competitive footy he played? WAFL or AFL last year?

patto
Club Player

Take him for sure... A gun midfileder who can actually kick goals is something we lack... Id be happy for us to supply him the Crack to get him on board...

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

WayneJudson42 wrote:Apparently, he WILL be required to nominate via the ND.

He can name a price and only request to be selected by a team, as I understand. If overlooked, he goes in the PSD.

Am I correct on this?
I don't think he nominates a price until he is actually in the PSD?

It actually raises another interesdting question.

Players taken in the Natrional Draft are all paid on a graduating scale, depending on where in the draft you are picked (first round earn more than second round etc.). If Cousins is taken in the National Draft does that mean he is automatically on 50K for the year?

Or can a Club pay a draftee more than the prescribed amount (and declare it in their Salary Cap of course)?

SENsei
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:
WayneJudson42 wrote:Apparently, he WILL be required to nominate via the ND.

Am I correct on this?
I don't think he nominates a price until he is actually in the PSD?

It actually raises another interesdting question.

Players taken in the Natrional Draft are all paid on a graduating scale, depending on where in the draft you are picked (first round earn more than second round etc.). If Cousins is taken in the National Draft does that mean he is automatically on 50K for the year?

Or can a Club pay a draftee more than the prescribed amount (and declare it in their Salary Cap of course)?
According to Hutchy last night, a player CAN nominate a figure in the ND, not just the PSD. Said an unnamed player did this last year.

Cousins, if drafted in the ND, will be on a two year contract and at least on the minimum draftee wages, unless he nominates a figure, which he is sure to do.

Poster formerly known as SENsaintsational. More wisdom. More knowledge. Less name.
JeffDunne

Yes Wayne, you are correct.

MM, you can pay them what you like, the AFL sets minimums not maximums.

What will be interesting this year is that listed players coming out of contract can nominate for the national draft rather than having to wait until the PSD.

SENsei
Saintsational Legend

JeffDunne wrote:MM, you can pay them what you like, the AFL sets minimums not maximums.

I think that's what I was trying to say. Very succinctly put JD.

Poster formerly known as SENsaintsational. More wisdom. More knowledge. Less name.
WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

patto wrote:Take him for sure... A gun midfileder who can actually kick goals is something we lack... Id be happy for us to supply him the Crack to get him on board...
Stupid comment :evil:

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

SENsaintsational wrote:
JeffDunne wrote:MM, you can pay them what you like, the AFL sets minimums not maximums.

I think that's what I was trying to say. Very succinctly put JD.
It would appear that his options would be to put a price on his head if possible, and if that fails, he takes pot luck in the PSD.

Wasn't there a player that tried that and was promised to drafted the year after??

JeffDunne

I think it's pretty safe to say that Ben is a risk even if he wants to play for you - he's a massive draft risk if he doesn't.

Can't imagine he'd need to place many more demands than a subtle saying who he'd like to play for.

Would a team waste risking a 2nd or 3rd rounder if he hasn't said he'd be prepared to play for them?

If we want him and he wants us then I'd be surprised if we'd have to give up anything more than a 4th. Possibly a 3rd given our potential positions in the draft but that would be a worst case scenario.

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

JeffDunne wrote:I think it's pretty safe to say that Ben is a risk even if he wants to play for you - he's a massive draft risk if he doesn't.

Can't imagine he'd need to place many more demands than a subtle saying who he'd like to play for.

Would a team waste risking a 2nd or 3rd rounder if he hasn't said he'd be prepared to play for them?

If we want him and he wants us then I'd be surprised if we'd have to give up anything more than a 4th. Possibly a 3rd given our potential positions in the draft but that would be a worst case scenario.
Agree. We have to also remember that there will be anywhere from 9 to 10 teams ahead of us at the draft... so R2 would be pick 32?

Guess it depends on whether there is still talent out there at 32... or 48. Even then, you'll have to wiegh up if the next kid is what we need long term.

JeffDunne

Either way I'm happy for Ross to make the call on it.

None of us know where Ben's at.

esaint66
SS Life Member

saintsRrising wrote:
Armoooo wrote:

I swear to god if they gave him the number 35 I would burn the club down...
Well that would obviously not happen.

He'll take G-Train's #9 if anything.

SENsei
Saintsational Legend

JeffDunne wrote:I think it's pretty safe to say that Ben is a risk even if he wants to play for you - he's a massive draft risk if he doesn't.

The only problem with that though is the AFL rules about the draft. Wouldn't ruling out other clubs be conduct prejudicial to the drafting process?

If a player nominates for the draft, then he can get drafted by anyone?

I guess though, any club would want to be sure that Cousins would actually play for them if drafted.

Catch 22. Makes the rules look pretty silly, along with the stupid salary cap that allows outside deals to be made. Back to the 1980s we are.

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

SENsational plenty of players have done it in the past. It doesn't mean clubs can't pick them up just makes it a little bit more unlikely.

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

JeffDunne wrote:Either way I'm happy for Ross to make the call on it.

None of us know where Ben's at.
Agree. Stop making sense :wink:

JeffDunne

SENsaintsational wrote:

The only problem with that though is the AFL rules about the draft. Wouldn't ruling out other clubs be conduct prejudicial to the drafting process?

If a player nominates for the draft, then he can get drafted by anyone?

I guess though, any club would want to be sure that Cousins would actually play for them if drafted.

Catch 22. Makes the rules look pretty silly, along with the stupid salary cap that allows outside deals to be made. Back to the 1980s we are.
My point is nobody is going to draft him unless they've had an indication he wants to play for them and they've had a chance to check him out.

If a club asks to see records from his rehab - which they will - and Ben tells them to take a hike, he's not really doing anything prejudicial to the draft.

Given where's he's coming from I can't imagine anyone drafting him unless he comes accross as super-keen to play for them. If a club hasn't had a chance to put him under the microscope they are risking a world of PR pain.

Maybe someone will draft him to be a spoiler like West Coast did with Watson, but given Ben's past it's hardly the same situation as drafting Timmy. I can't see it happening.

sainteronline

Saintschampions08 wrote: Have always said, and still do - would absolutely love Cousins at the club, regardless of where we finish. Might teach some of the players what 'trying your guts out' really means.
nothin against cousins but

if they aint learnt that from Harves they aint never gunna learn it. :wink:

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

joffaboy wrote:
i_luv_nick_riewoldt wrote:Nope dont want him!! He would just infiltrate our young kids!
:roll: :roll:
Now now JB - it's a valid concern... I mean, Benny Cousins comes in after a while out of the spotlight, via the national draft, and these poor kids don't know any better... THEY THINK HE"S ONE OF THEM!!!

Not realising he's the wrong side of 30 instead of the young side of 20, who knows what kind of "road trip" esque hijinx would ensue.

(normally I try not to pay attention where people don't know the meanings of the words they're using - in a world where the media appears to think infer and imply are synonyms, why bother - but infiltrate? I'm as giggly as a little girl over the idea of Cousins infiltrating anything)

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
rixxo
Club Player

Cousins will be at St kilda no doubt about it .