"Oh when the saints" at the Melbourne Victory game

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

kaos theory
Club Player

"Oh when the saints" at the Melbourne Victory game

I got an invite to the Melbourne victory soccer game at the dome last night, and enjoyed the game.

But what really took my notice was the hard core supporters singing different version of 'oh when the saints'

They had about 2 or 3 versions (with different words). One was a very slow version, and another had one guy leading it in a chant style, and the others following singing.

Both sounded great, and in particular the slow version had a great haunting tone across the stadium. I found myself humming along with the slow version and thinking about how great it would sound at a saints game.....particularly in a final, when we are 10 goals up in the last quarter. :wink:

I know that soccer games and crowds are different to afl, and that you would probably need about 100 or so males to get the signing and noise going, whereas our cheer squad is mostly kids and older folks (which do a great job, btw)....

But its a bit sad to hear supporters of a team that does not have that tune as part of their very short history, yet produce simple & great versions of our song, which sounded great at the stadium.

iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

Yes it is a bit sad that we cant get that going. We couldnt even get the "haaaaaaaaarveeeeey" chant going round the dome last week. It started, grew a little, and died a pretty quick death.

Anyway, what significance is the song to the nongs at the victory game? They change the words or something.

Also remember, there isnt anything else to do or watch at a soccer game, so singing gets up and going quite easily! :lol:

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

It's difficult to do chants in footy anyway.

Soccer supporters are only good at because nothing happens for 98% of the match.

Think about how many times you hear "BALLLLL !" in a footy match and the cheering of goals, people have to constantly watch aussie rules and concentrate you don't get that in soccer, where you can tune out for a while and concentrate on singing.

kaos theory
Club Player

Yes it is a bit sad that we cant get that going. We couldnt even get the "haaaaaaaaarveeeeey" chant going round the dome last week. It started, grew a little, and died a pretty quick death.

Anyway, what significance is the song to the nongs at the victory game? They change the words or something.

Also remember, there isnt anything else to do or watch at a soccer game, so singing gets up and going quite easily
They were siging different words, couldn't make out the words they were signing.

The game was good: 5 goals to 0 was not a boring game, there was a lot of creative, attacking play.

The saints fans have sang the song a few times at games while the game is going....e.g. late in the last qtr when we are winning a big game...

St Michele
Club Player

I went to the Glory game last week and thoguht the same, the atmosphere with all the singing is amazing but the game is a lot slower and I think that is why they have all the songs inbetweenlay, also the crowd is more sedate.
While I would love to hear the Saints song like it at the footy I am not sure it would work, wouldn;t hurt to try!!!

Michele

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Had the perfect opportunity to sing in the last few minutes of the game last week when we shut up shop with the game done and dusted .....but oh no..people would rather sledge the team for not playing attcking footy :lol:

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

kaos theory wrote: They were siging different words, couldn't make out the words they were signing.
Oh Melbourne is,
so wonderful,
Oh Melbourne is so wonderful
It's full of T***, F****, and football
Oh Melbourne is so wonderful

Not exactly one for the kiddies, but fun to sing anyway!!!

Munga
Saintsational Legend

A Saints supporter and a Victory supporter, is there anything better? :wink:

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"
my les foote
Club Player

saint66au wrote:Had the perfect opportunity to sing in the last few minutes of the game last week when we shut up shop with the game done and dusted .....but oh no..people would rather sledge the team for not playing attcking footy :lol:
Maybe we could combine the two

On when the Saints
run down the clock
Oh when the Saints run down the clock
I'd rather be in the bar now
when the Saints run down the clock

Win it for HIM!
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Football fans in the UK always sing different 'oh when the saints'. I'd say that's what inspired it.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

You want to sing? Join a choir.

You want to shout? Go to the footy.

No time for singing during a match, only after we've won.

The only reason they sing at soccer matches is they are so boring.

Aussie Rules is the true football. The only code where a goal can only be scored by FOOT, hence FOOTBALL.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
Scottish Saint
Club Player

Bernard Shakey wrote:You want to sing? Join a choir.

Sorry, but that's completely wrong. If it's a boring game, the crowd normally goes quiet. When it's exciting, the atmosphere is far noisier.

The reason round ball football crowds have a better atmposphere is because the crowd is overwhelmingly young, testosterone fuelled males. An AFL crowd has all ages and lot more females - and, of course, no segregation which is clearly a bad thing when we play Collingwood.

cowboy18
Saintsational Legend

Scottish Saint wrote:
Bernard Shakey wrote:You want to sing? Join a choir.

Sorry, but that's completely wrong. If it's a boring game, the crowd normally goes quiet. When it's exciting, the atmosphere is far noisier.

The reason round ball football crowds have a better atmposphere is because the crowd is overwhelmingly young, testosterone fuelled males. An AFL crowd has all ages and lot more females - and, of course, no segregation which is clearly a bad thing when we play Collingwood.
Absolutely, nothing beats the overt homoeroticism of a fired up soccer crowd in full song.

Scottish Saint
Club Player

I'm a St Kilda member and a Melbourne Victory member.

Give me Saints fans anyday.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

my les foote wrote:Maybe we could combine the two

On when the Saints
run down the clock
Oh when the Saints run down the clock
I'd rather be in the bar now
when the Saints run down the clock
That's great :D

I'd sing along.