Casey team Vs Coburg Sat 23- reports

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Chivers will be delisted.

Has not trained with Saints for 2 months.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:Chivers will be delisted.

Has not trained with Saints for 2 months.
What did he do to get himself on the outer

Will we pick up a player in the SSP window :?:
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

DK27 wrote:After watching that Casey game I learned some things about St Kilda listed players.

HOWARD- Improving. His run was good and his hitting targets has improved. His defensive work on Collard was really bad. Poor body work, missed tackles and spoils cost several goals. Seems to lack intensity. Interesting to see if Lyon has lost patience and will cut him or not.

FIORA- Terrible!!! Who was the idiot who signed this soft whimp for next year? Missed tackles, blind turning into tackles, missed targets, too easily pushed off the ball and when blocked off the ball he does not fight to stay in the play. If I was Casey coach he would be in the seconds next week. So far from AFL standard, it is unbelievable.

McEVOY- Looked good as a forward. Great to see a goal from the boundary, contested mark in forward line, pick up below knees and pass to Allen. Lets see if he can make more contests next year. Needs to work on his mobility and ruckwork over the summer.

CHIVERS- Does some nice things. Poise in traffic is good. Has mobility. I would see how he goes for the last few games for Casey before committing to delisting him. Better than Fiora anyway.

RIX- More of the same. Tries hard. No skill.

ARMITAGE- One trick pony. Too left sided. Puts his head over the ball OK but always kicks or handballs on left side. Not quick enough to be so one sided. Not good enough for AFL. One of many crap round one picks by St Kilda. Positive is brave and tackles well. Needs to work on his deficiencies over the summer or may not last past next year on the list.

FERGUSON- Good game at VFL standard. Delist. Had his chances.

STEVEN- Looks good at finding space. Good skills. Natural footballer. After a full preseason we will know more.

GEARY and ALLEN will get another year to improve on deficiencies. Good games from both but clangers hurt the good work.

A few may make AFL standard.

Cheers.
good to see that list has no preconseved ideas.

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

It was fun to see that. I can see myself making the much shorter trip to Sandy next year to have an opinion rather than an impression - I'd greatly appreciate the input if one of the people who regularly goes and sees would take the time.

Armitage was Casey's best player for mine. The way he came into the game more the further it went would imply that the AFL fitness program is really having an impact. Especially liked a passage of play where he kicked out of defense, ran to recieve the handball (think there had been a free anyway), kicked to the wing, ran to receive and put it inside 50 to McEvoy (I think). Did as much as I could ask for.

McEvoy showed some good contested marking, and great goalkicking. Made a nice mobile play to set up Allen. While he spent some time in the ruck, he didn't make a big impression on me there.

Allen really impressed me skill wise. It's tough for key forwards to make an impression against big, experienced defenders at AFL level, so I'll be really interested to see if he can press harder next year. Still a way to go, but I see what people like.

Geary Is worth being patient with. At VFL level he looks BIG. Give him a chance to fill out and he could be erally tough to match up on. I'd rather we didn't take the "get as many AFL games into him as possible" approach... let him learn to bully his VFL opponents, and as he gains the size, he'll do the same to AFL ones to a lesser extent.

Ferguson was really interesting to see. I finally get where the cult following comes from. Injuries have meant he's probably winding down AFL wise, but he was dominant 1-on-1, outmarking, outrunning, and a force to be reckoned with.

Howard seemed enigmatic to me on TV. The speed didn't surprise me, the penetration of his kicking did. What does he need to do to win more football? That seemed the issue. a previous post suggests he was on Collard, was he? That would explain it - he was too busy getting shown up defensively to win much ball. Where's he at?

Any input from those who know is greatly appreciated.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Who was No. 75? Chivers?

mick13
Club Player

borderbarry wrote:Who was No. 75? Chivers?
Yep.

iceman
Club Player

in fairness to Fiora his form before his suspension wasn't too bad and he copped a reasonable tag on Saturday, the bloke worked pretty hard and got better as the day wore on, his days are far from over.

Fisher was tagging in the first half then he was allowed a bit more freedom in the second half where he was one of the players to work us back into the game, i thought he was pretty good.

Geary worked the hardest ive seen all year, something he has been lacking and the kid was stuffed at the end of it. Good work and something he needs, a bit of hunger.

Armo usually always has someone tailing him in the VFL, bit hard for a 19, 20 year old kid in a senior competion, but is working harder every week, another pre-season will be good for the kid.

The Scorpions last 3 weeks have been much improved, with finals in 2 weeks, and Silvagni due back i can't see Chivers staying in the side, his form actually suprised me in the 1's but he has his work cut out to be at St. Kilda next season, Also Howard has still struggled to take a game apart, or even have a solid influence, he seems to be the one to miss out when the 12/10 rle comes in and there is a full squad to pick from, not good for a what is he? 3rd year player, hopefully he can prove me wrong, but he almost seems like a poor mans dempster.

saintly
Saintsational Legend

mick13 wrote:
borderbarry wrote:Who was No. 75? Chivers?
Yep.
anyone know why Chivers is only training with scorpionss?

spiral2
Club Player

I was surprised by Chivers, thought he was pretty horrible down back, Hughes was towelling him up, but it must be tough to come from VFL seconds and play on a guy that has (limited) AFL experience.
but when he was swung forward thought he was very good, tough in the contest and good in traffic for a big guy, good amount of confidence and a willingness to take players on. got a bit carried away in one play and was too selfish but showed some ability I thought.

wasn't the rumour that he had attitude/application issues, hence his training with the scorps...?

how many games has he got to with scorps to try and save his St Kilda career?

where is Khan at, how's he travelling in the scorps 2nds?

Ilzy#8
Club Player

You'll find Chivers is back training at Moorabbin...

A very handy player who has been very unlucky with injury.

I ask a question to all those who have put him down... How many games have you actually seen the kid play??

Just because he has been training at Casey means nothing, he was only merely working back from injury.

His a mobile defender with great athletisism. Don't know whether the saint's will keep him on for next year, but IMO I believe they definately should.

#13 BALLBANDWAGON Member

" You don't lose a game, you just run out of time to score "
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Ilzy#8 wrote:You'll find Chivers is back training at Moorabbin...

I ask a question to all those who have put him down... How many games have you actually seen the kid play??

Just because he has been training at Casey means nothing, he was only merely working back from injury.

His a mobile defender with great athletisism. Don't know whether the saint's will keep him on for next year, but IMO I believe they definately should.
So who should they get rid of from the rookie list then? Also not sure he was just training at casey because he was coming back from injury. may have been a bit more in it than that.

spiral2
Club Player

not bagging him, just thought he looked much better up forward than down back. hughes was in the match whilst Chivers was on him.
no doubt that you have much better insight on him Ilzy

hope he gets a go, but as plugger66 suggests, it's gonna be tough to hold a spot on the rookie list this year
best of luck to him

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Hi Ilzy#8
what happens now the reserves have finished- do you all keep training in case needed for seniors or are some sent for rehab?

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Looks like Congrats to BIrssy for winning the Leader award;

Casey Scorpions 3.2 5.6 11.8 13.10 (88)Coburg Tigers 6.1 9.3 12.5 14.5 (89) GOALS: Casey Scorpions: Allen 4 McEvoy 3 Fisher Ferguson Geary Armitage Dunne Garrubba. Coburg Tigers: Collard 6 Caruso Tivendale Liddle Caruso Meyer Hughes Vasilevski Oakley-Nicholls BEST: Casey Scorpions: Fisher Wall Geary Armitage Panozza Ferguson. Coburg Tigers: Howat Collard Shelton Rance Tivendale Horne

$1000 Leader player-of-the-year award (votes by Paul Amy): 3 James Wall, 2 Evan Panozza, 1 Leigh Fisher.

Progressive:

14 Birss, 9 Silvagni, Rix, 7 Wall, Armitage, Gwilt, McQualter, 6 Clarke, Jones, 5 Matthews, Geary, 4 Gardiner, 3 Panozza, Fisher, Ferguson, R Clarke, 2 Steven, Taylor, Dunne, Milne, Armitage, McEvoy, Allen, 1 Howard.Reserves - Casey Scorpions 2.2 5.6 9.9 10.12 (72) lt Coburg Tigers 3.7 9.12 15.15 22.21 (153)
http://www.scorpions.com.au/latest/late ... -late.html

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Ilzy#8
Club Player

saintbrat wrote:

Hi Ilzy#8
what happens now the reserves have finished- do you all keep training in case needed for seniors or are some sent for rehab?
There's a handful that will keep on training as anything can happen and injuries could take their toll... also the coaches have to work out the right match ups and that could also change a lot of things. So quite a few will keep training and I wouldn't be surprised if they chuck in a session at Moorabbin again to run around with a few of the saints boys.

The club is really keen to get the 4 points this week and have the opportunity to play with a double chance.

#13 BALLBANDWAGON Member

yipper
SS Life Member

Hey Illzy, did you play CHF all day in the 2's?? You got into the best players list the last 2 games in a row. Well done.

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
Ilzy#8
Club Player

Played there for a bit yip before being brought up the ground and playing of the wing where I have played in the past few weeks. On a big ground and with more space gives a bit more room to roam around.

#13 BALLBANDWAGON Member