CJ's game vs Adelaide (Includes Video)

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

CJ's game vs Adelaide (Includes Video)

I've been a pretty big fan of CJ, for this year at least, and he has played a number of quality games.

The game against Adelaide was NOT one of them.

His disposal was bad, and decision making was also bad. He was not accountable a number of times where he should have been, and refused to shepherd when given the opportunity.

Now, here's a video round-up of his game, for the non believers. I wasn't sure what soundtrack to go with, I had to choose between Metallica's "Ride the Lightning", and the one I eventually went with, and I'm sure some will be amused. :D

The video includes all of his possessions and influences in play that were caught on the broadcast.

my les foote
Club Player

And some will not be amused.

You've shown me what I see from CJ every week. He runs hard, gets a bit of the ball, tackles hard, generally looks OK when he takes the first option either a long kick or a quick give but decision making is not up to scratch.

I reckon you could do a video of about 10 players from Sunday's game, pre-empt it with some negative comments, pick an apporpriate soundtrack and it would look just as bad or worse than CJ's.

Maybe you could do one for Harvs. He wasn't that flash on Sunday. Did you see that turnover at the end of the third quarter? Should have cost us a goal.

Or try some positive comments on CJ, and go with a soundtrack like "Along came Jones". You could convince everyone he's a chance for the Brownlow.

Win it for HIM!
Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

If that was aimed at being a criticism of CJ's game, then I wish I could have played just one AFL game and been that bad. :roll: I certainly saw more good than bad in that collection.

At least his poor decisions either went to the boundary or to a contest, and not directly to an opponent.

As stated above, you could cut and paste quite a few players games in a similar fashion, put ridiculing music to it and sell it off on youtube.

Maybe you could youtube a few of your own passages of play for us and show us how it was supposed to be done.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Iceman234 wrote: I certainly saw more good than bad in that collection.
so did i. it's long, too. had to be to cover every passage of play in which he was involved. well played by cj.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Hey dude, I don't think adding the soundtrack was one of your better ideas: it detracts from your message

The video is excellent. Backs up my recollection of his game. My heart was in my mouth every time he got the ball, particularly within 100 metres of their goal

Those who will attack you seem to be seeing what they want to see. The video doesn't lie: I've seen under-12s who are better kicks than CJ. Apparently its ok because when he fluffs a kick it often goes over the boundary line.

I don't think so....

It doesn't mean that there isn't a place on our list for him. But, as they say in the form guide, others preferred

Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

I think that if that's a collection of a player who some believe is rated 22-26 on our list, then our list must be okay.

I also rate him as a bottom six player (17-22) but he has certainly grown on me.

Maybe in comparison someone could prepare some highlights of other teams bottom six players' efforts.

Again though people will see what they want to see, and put some Superstar style music to it and it looks so much better.....

My comment about his poor decisions going to the boundary are based on the fact that we don't get to see whether there were any other options up the ground. I'd rather see him do that every time than cough it up directly to an opponent.

Keep up the battle CJ.

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

A very simplistic view on things - lol

But may I point out that you had 4:32 of CJ footage - If you had 4:30 of every St Kilda player then that equals 99 minutes - if we had 99 minutes of St Kilda players being directly involved in the play, either with the ball of harrassing the opposition each week we would be where Geelong is now.

Dont give up on CJ there is a lot to be said about pressuring the opposition into making mistakes. The Crows were woeful last week - but the previous 4 weeks they were fantastic - could it be that our pressure got to them.

If your bottom 6 are all of CJ's quality and committment and you get 30 minutes of direct involvement from them you stand a good chance of getting the best out of the other 16 in the team.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Sainter_Dad wrote:But may I point out that you had 4:32 of CJ footage - If you had 4:30 of every St Kilda player then that equals 99 minutes - if we had 99 minutes of St Kilda players being directly involved in the play, either with the ball of harrassing the opposition each week we would be where Geelong is now.
good point.

fact is only bj, gram and joey had more of the pill than CJ on the weekend and for once we reached the 400-plus possession benchmark that geelong has set.

sure, his kicking style is ugly, but they can't all be silky smooth and going on that video most of his disposals, by hand or foot, found their mark.

the blokes i want to tip out of the team are the ones who can't get the ball. they are the non-contributors, not cj.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

I don't think this a debate that will reach resolution quickly

FWIW I don't have any problem with in and under players who get lots of ball but who can't generally nail a low 50m foot pass: Ball, West, Haselby,even McGough (one of the all-time whipping boys on here).

But is CJ genuinely an in-and-under player? He seems to get quite a few possessions in the clear, and then doesn't do much with them. A bit like Blake, until Lyon had the excellent idea of turning him into a KPP

In my view of the modern game, an AFL-standard player must be an in and under player or a KPP or else be a mobile runner who is reasonably skilled by hand and foot (even ruckmen and taggers have to have good disposal nowadays IMO)

But clearly others see it differently to me

Anyway, I'm enjoying the debate!!

spert
Saintsational Legend

Maybe we need to look at player consistancy over consecutive games. If CJ doesn't have the greatest disposal in the world, he at least makes contests, tackles and pressures opponents every game. If NDS, Montagna, Milne, Kozi and couple of others did this consistantly along with the skills they possess, we would be sitting up on the top of the ladder with Geelong. One or two flash games here and there by some of those guys is fine, but if you want to win a flag, then you have to do it week in week out. If you want to build a premiership team, you need players who do the job every week.

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Now Ive seen everything...St Kilda fans posting YouTube clips showing how BAD one of our players is

Call me rose-coloured but thats quite amazing :roll: :roll: :roll:

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote:Now Ive seen everything...St Kilda fans posting YouTube clips showing how BAD one of our players is. Call me rose-coloured but thats quite amazing :roll: :roll: :roll:
well otiman did say he's been pretty big fan of cj this year.

aussiejones
Club Player

CJ is a real goer ......will improve

At least he is IN THE ACTION

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

aussiejones wrote:CJ is a real goer ......will improve

At least he is IN THE ACTION
And most importantly, has a bit of pace. He has improved in a number of areas this year but, as the video shows, has some way to go. But that is to be expected from someone with his experience, even though he is 24.
As to his kicking, well he clearly has the same skills coach as everyone else at Linton Street. Forty metres is about his range, but then again, it has been for another bloke at the club who has managed 379 games so far.
Last edited by perfectionist on Thu 28 Aug 2008 10:38am, edited 1 time in total.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Well it that game he also had an AFL career high of 25 disposals....though yes his use of the ball was below what he had been deliveing in recent games.

Is Jones improving as a player? = Yes.

Will he improve more? Yes, I believe with more games that his already demonstrated improval will continue.

Will he ever be top 15? Probably not.

Does Jones supply aspects that the Saints were lacking in prior to him coming in? = Yes the Saints were lacking hugely in pace , tackling, harassing. This means that Jone's value is more that just the simple aspect of where you would rate him individually on the list.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Russman
Club Player

If CJ is in our botttom 6 , then our bottom 6 is starting to look pretty good

Do , or Do not , There is no try.
cowboy18
Saintsational Legend

my les foote wrote:Or try some positive comments on CJ, and go with a soundtrack like "Along came Jones". You could convince everyone he's a chance for the Brownlow.
My first thought too but looking at the pace I reckon you could get him up for legend status if you used Bonnie Tyler's "Holding out for a hero".

He wasn't great but not terrible IMO. Looks clumsy but many of the possessions were ok/effective/under pressure.

Clearly being given space by the opposition though (as per Blake/Max).

St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

Well blow me down - Clinton Jones isn't Ian Stewart - get your stakes and pitchforks everyone, we've gotta finish this now!!!!

Everyone knows he isn't the greatest footballer, including the coaching staff, and CJ himself, and his teammates. Yes, they might get a hot handball from time to time, but they can at least expect what he's gonna do with the footy. It's not pretty, but he doesn't butcher the footy as much as some people on here would have you believe.

If only you could bottle his effort and inject a bit of it into a few of our guys, we'd be a lot better off that we are now.

markp
Saintsational Legend

I actually think he sets a great example out there too.

cowboy18
Saintsational Legend

May as well add this one for comparison. Play it loud!

snoopygirl
SS Life Member

And his enthusiasm. Everytime I have spoken with him he's had this in spades. Really infectious & I hope this is one attribute that doesn't get beaten out of him.

yipper
SS Life Member

snoopygirl wrote:And his enthusiasm. Everytime I have spoken with him he's had this in spades. Really infectious & I hope this is one attribute that doesn't get beaten out of him.
Well then hopefully he won't come on here and read the all the "opinions" from the arm chair experts!!

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

cj's favourite movie would have to be "My Left Foot".

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:cj's favourite movie would have to be "My Left Foot".
he is a bit one-sided, which tends to be more noticeable with southpaws.

fonz_#15
SS Life Member

Cj certainly doesn't lack confidence when he is trying to win the ball, but he certainly does lack it when he gets the ball in his hands.

he looks to offload a handball as soon as he gets because he isnt confident in his kicking.

Robert Harvey- Simply the best