Bottom 6 is improving.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Bottom 6 is improving.

We all know that guys like Riewoldt, Sam Fisher, Goddard, Hayes are all stars, and can be relied on for great games week in, week out. Football pundits suggest that it's the bottom 6 in your 22 that decide the outcome of games, rather than your top 6.

From my point of view, that is the following players.

Gwilt
Gardiner
Birss
Raph
Gilbert
Eddy

All are playing a role, Gwilt had his hands in 2 or 3 goals. Gardiner kicked a goal and made space, even had some stints in the midfield. Birss shut down Van Berlo and had a few touches, could have also kicked a goal. Gilbert played his best game of the season, if not his career. Eddy made some cameo appearances with 4 tackles, but was largely unsighted, could have also kicked a goal. Raph done some great things, set up goals and applied great forward pressure.

No passengers this week.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Good point - the successful clubs always get the best out of the second rung of players, and that helps towards winning premierships.

St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

Spot On.

Proof of this is the discussion on who we drop for Bally and X (and possible Mini).

I can't remember a time when we weren't calling for someone's head, but this week I'd struggle to pick the obvious ones out of that bottom 6 to miss out.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

the bottom 6 will get you to a grand final, the top 6 will win it for you.

Our biggest worry is getting our bottom 6 up to AFL standard and keeping our top 6 fit....

both seem to be getting there at the right time of the year

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
Hurricane
Saintsational Legend

Solar wrote:the bottom 6 will get you to a grand final, the top 6 will win it for you.
Couldnt agree more, great call.

I think the old saying goes "a machine is only as improtant as the sum of its parts" or something like that. :)

BANG BANG

Mitsuharu Misawa 1962 - 2009.

I am vengeance....I am the night...I....AM.....BATMAN

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass and im all out of bubblegum
sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

Solar wrote:the bottom 6 will get you to a grand final, the top 6 will win it for you.

Our biggest worry is getting our bottom 6 up to AFL standard and keeping our top 6 fit....

agree about the top 6 more important as they bring the other players into it and swing games, Roo is slotting more goals now, AND consistently.
Goddard in the last handful of games has had a tangible impact on the outcome.
the rest of the list have been very servicible and in a lot of cases picking up the slack.
For us to have a real impact in the finals, we need much more effort from two of our top 6, NDS and Kosi.

Seeya
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

The only reason our bottom 6 looks Ok, is because our top 6 is carrying them.

I don't believe the bottom is that important. It's the top 6 that you need playing well. Ours are right now.

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

sunsaint wrote:

agree about the top 6 more important as they bring the other players into it and swing games, Roo is slotting more goals now, AND consistently.
Goddard in the last handful of games has had a tangible impact on the outcome.
the rest of the list have been very servicible and in a lot of cases picking up the slack.
For us to have a real impact in the finals, we need much more effort from two of our top 6, NDS and Kosi.
Hammer, nail, head re Kosi and Dal.

Not sure what thecoach's plans are... but don't be surprised if X doesn't play. Given his time out. One things is for sure, and hopefully we've learnt from 06 is that you're better off taking 22 players who are totally fit into finals.

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
Solar
Saintsational Legend

our top 6 IMO

roo
BJ
Lenny
Chips
Dal
max

roo stills needs to kick those important goals early, they lift the whole team

BJ since being thrown into the middle is one of the few who can lay tackles and get the hard ball but is also a damaging outside reciever

Lenny is a star but needs to kick goals and use his vision

chips is defending better but his skill is the ability to read the play and be damaging once it hits the ground

dal is just a great use of the ball. Is an outside receiever at his best and once ball comes back he will need to play this way. His running to contests was alot better, just needs to relise that the key is the more contests you get to the more you can impact on the game.

max just stops the oppositions best forward. top 2 full backs in the comp

But these guys can't win games if they don't have the footmen around them. Eddy, raph, gwilt, birss and cj all are working their arses off to run in numbers. Nothing better then sheparding to create space for say dal to spot up roo 35 out.

FQF
In richo I trust

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Isn't Dal in the TOP 3 for contested possesions???????

he had 7 hardball gets on Sunday........recievers do NOT usually get numbers like that....

He is also 4th for tackles aswell...

Solar
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Isn't Dal in the TOP 3 for contested possesions???????

he had 7 hardball gets on Sunday........recievers do NOT usually get numbers like that....

He is also 4th for tackles aswell...
which he has to do when ball is not there....

BUT

when ball is there I would hope he would be working hard to get handball recieves and work into space. Much rather have him in space then in the middle of a pack, no matter what his tackle stats are.....

and my actual point is he is starting to gut run to get it in space, where he is the most dangerous.... :roll:

FQF
In richo I trust

starsign
Club Player

good thread
our bottom 6 are on the improve, which is helped by fewer injuries this year

The only reason our bottom 6 looks Ok, is because our top 6 is carrying them.

I don't believe the bottom is that important. It's the top 6 that you need playing well. Ours are right now.

but I disagree here somewhat Rogerfox, but its a bit of a no win debate either way
Continual clangers and turnovers by the bottom 6 can lose you the game, by changing momento and brining the opposition into it too easily

I think you will find the better sides, and particularly with premiership teams the gap in ability between the top 6 and bottom six is always less

and the old addage "a champion team will always beat a team of champions " still holds no matter how many stars you have in the top 6 , and how many ordinary players in the bottom

HarveysDeciple

Like to look at the back 6 as well.

They are clicking beautifully.

Max is mr reliable as always.

But Gram has improved his form dramatically since about round 9.

Chipper is a star.

Dempster continues to have a fine year, and Blake is emerging as a very good centre half back.

They have also freed up Goddard and occasionally Gram to move into the middle.

Also gwilt and raph have been able to be used in different roles too, not brought into the side to play deep defence.

n1ck
Saintsational Legend

Agreed HD - we seem to be very solid but still versatile in terms of the roles different players can play.

bergsone
SS Life Member

The real importance of those bottom 6 is to KEEP performing at that level,not drop off next week and week after,if they do we will really struggle in finals

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

bergsone wrote:The real importance of those bottom 6 is to KEEP performing at that level,not drop off next week and week after,if they do we will really struggle in finals
I guess that sits with the theory of rotating in the bottom 1 or 2 on form, with the top 1 or 2 on form at Casey. (Minus guys like Geary and Rix who have shown good VFL form does not equal good AFL form).