4 year plan for youth

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

older saint
SS Life Member

4 year plan for youth

Interesting to read a quote in the Age today from Armitage re Ross Lyon's plan with young players -basically that he sees it as a 4 year process for most young players to become regular Senior players. I personally like that strategy and we just need opt be patient.

Haw in the late 80's di this ( i know different era) but nIck Holland played 80 reserves games and went on to play 150 + games as an example.

Bodies take time to develop and sometimes i think we get caught up with the Judd Ball Hodge Kosi factor of 1st year players.

Look at Razzle Dazzle from Bris and even CJ both mature age palyers from WAFL with a few years experience now contibuting as regulars in AFL sides.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: 4 year plan for youth

older saint wrote:Interesting to read a quote in the Age today from Armitage re Ross Lyon's plan with young players -basically that he sees it as a 4 year process for most young players to become regular Senior players. I personally like that strategy and we just need opt be patient.

Haw in the late 80's di this ( i know different era) but nIck Holland played 80 reserves games and went on to play 150 + games as an example.

Bodies take time to develop and sometimes i think we get caught up with the Judd Ball Hodge Kosi factor of 1st year players.

Look at Razzle Dazzle from Bris and even CJ both mature age palyers from WAFL with a few years experience now contibuting as regulars in AFL sides.
Doubt Nick Holland played 80 reserves games. Didnt he win the rising star award?

Moccha
Saintsational Legend

Re: 4 year plan for youth

plugger66 wrote:
older saint wrote:Interesting to read a quote in the Age today from Armitage re Ross Lyon's plan with young players -basically that he sees it as a 4 year process for most young players to become regular Senior players. I personally like that strategy and we just need opt be patient.

Doubt Nick Holland played 80 reserves games. Didnt he win the rising star award?
Yeah that's right, after 80 reserve games

mick13
Club Player

Can I read this article online?

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

4 years is fair. where does that leave raph clarke? debuted in 2004. thats 5 years of afl football.

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

Con Gorozidis wrote:4 years is fair. where does that leave raph clarke? debuted in 2004. thats 5 years of afl football.
1 - he hasn't played a lot of senior footy and missed thru injury.

2- only had 2 years under RL, so is still relatively "new". Has improved immensly since his return. Will only get better.

I reckong he's turned the corner... just.

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.