plugger's excuse

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Snakeman66
Club Player

mcadam05 wrote:
WayneJudson42 wrote:
JeffDunne wrote:Much ado about nothin'

Personally I'd prefer he gave up the toys and put some serious work into getting us a couple of father/son picks. 8-)
:lol: :lol: I'm sure Sydney would like that.
Sadly for the swans he didnt play enough games for them too get any of his sons which really is a shame :lol:
He had 4 daughters if I have remembered correctly.

Don't dwell on the past.
Look to the future.
rama35
Club Player

Plugger

The day he walked out of the club was the day plugger lost me

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

JeffDunne wrote:
WayneJudson42 wrote:

Personally I'd prefer he gave up the toys and put some serious work into getting us a couple of father/son picks. 8-)
Why? :?
Wouldn't his sons have the option to play for them also?

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Plugger is a legend of the game. He's never been any different in shunning media attention.
I respect him for always staying true to that.
He's doing his own thing. Good on him.

JeffDunne

WayneJudson42 wrote:
JeffDunne wrote:
WayneJudson42 wrote:

Why? :?
Wouldn't his sons have the option to play for them also?
Not unless they change the F/S requirements.

He didn't play 100 games for the Swans (knowing the AFL though they'd probably make an exception)

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

i think your right he had only daughters
i recently read his book writen while he was still playing i honestly belive it was more then just money making him want to leave , i have full respect for what plugger did to get us through the hard times and you cant falut the bloke for embracing his new home (remember how much flak we give boys like shnider for not embracing the club ect )

i would bet Plugger would make contact with harves and show his respect in his own way in a more presonal way then that of someone like heath Black who disses the club at every oppertunity and will still come over and bask in Bangers glory !!!

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
my les foote
Club Player

I know Plugger likes to "shun the media spotlight". That's why he missed the Team of the Century function, Banger's testimonial and countless other events.

Why can't they just get the guy from the Toyota ad who looks so much like him to come down?

Win it for HIM!
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

my les foote wrote:I know Plugger likes to "shun the media spotlight". That's why he missed the Team of the Century function, Banger's testimonial and countless other events.

Why can't they just get the guy from the Toyota ad who looks so much like him to come down?
that's unfair on Plugger IMO. Being in a controlled TV commercial environment with the film crew and actors is a lot different to being part of an event with hundreds of past players and the media all over it. Not to mention the fact that they would have paid him, I'm guessing, at least $250k for that ad. Would you say yes?

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

IIRC Plugger drove down, the did the ad then drove straight back again

Ditto when he made an appearnace at Dean Grieg's testimonial

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
degruch
Saintsational Legend

Well...I'm sure plenty of crew aren't gonna be able to make it, should we be bagging all of them on here? Barks (RIP) is the only guy with a genuine excuse!
:cry:

Yeah, Plugger was a 'legend', but this event is about Harvs, and for that matter, he's just another guy who played with Harvs. We all know he doesn't care much for the club, so no surprises he's not coming, whether he had a valid excuse or not. And who's gonna make him!?!

Can we focus on how many great players will be there???

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

I still respect him...

“Yeah….nah””
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

I pity players that leave the Saints. It seems it doesnt matter what they did whilst they were there it is soon forgotten.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:I pity players that leave the Saints. It seems it doesnt matter what they did whilst they were there it is soon forgotten.
not by me. remains the best player i've seen from any club.

btw, apparently he's shed 25kg to get in shape for this rally, so it's not something he's taking lightly. i'm sure harvey would be embarrassed if he broke such an important commitment.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:I pity players that leave the Saints. It seems it doesnt matter what they did whilst they were there it is soon forgotten.

There are plenty who have left to play elsewhere who have been welcomed back.

They all have 1 thing in common.
A desire to be remembered as having played at St Kilda.

Stewart,
Ditterich
Winmar
to name just 3 of our 10 greatest of all time.

Some players seem to have been so 'scarred' by their time at StKilda that they appear to want to have absolutely nothing to do with us.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:

Stewart,
Ditterich
Winmar

Some players seem to have been so 'scarred' by their time at StKilda that they appear to want to have absolutely nothing to do with us.
If you see how poorly we treat some of our past players then maybe you could understand. Even the thing in the paper saying the following players need to contact the club was poor and it was obviously done to save time and money. I for one could find at least 10 of those players without making much effort at all. We expect effort from our past players to attend but then the club doesnt put in the effort to contact them.

mcadam05
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:

Stewart,
Ditterich
Winmar

If you see how poorly we treat some of our past players then maybe you could understand. Even the thing in the paper saying the following players need to contact the club was poor and it was obviously done to save time and money. I for one could find at least 10 of those players without making much effort at all. We expect effort from our past players to attend but then the club doesnt put in the effort to contact them.
could someone please post the list of the players that cant be found

Cheers :)

iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

Care facotr = ZERO! WHo gives a rats, this week is FAR from anything to do with Plugger.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:

Stewart,
Ditterich
Winmar

That's a different argument than the initial one you were making.
One I cannot comment on as I have no knowledge of how the Club treats its past players in general.

This thread was about Plugger's reason about not attending this Sunday (totally reasonable IMO) and then it morphed into a general discussion of what we would expect of past players in terms of 'coming back' to the Club and how they are treated whilst playing for another Club.
Speaking for myself I certainly don't boo any former players for no reason. Barry Hall for instance I onloy started booing after he punched Goose.
I boo Spider because of teh bs 'long service claim he served on us.

I'm trying to think of another ex-Saint I've booed but am struggling to remember one.

Aa for Plugger, there is a 'general impression' that Plugger chooses to identify himself more with the Swans and has been very 'scarce' around the Saints since his retirement, by his own choice.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:I still respect him...
That's nice love...you go have a little lie down now, before you get all worked up again.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Saint Bev wrote:I was a massive Lockett fan till he chose money over St Kilda. Didn't even have enough respect to come to Harves testimonial last year. The rally gives him the perfect excuse not to be there Sunday. I lost respect for him years ago.
Hey Bev, perhaps he doesn't give a toss about footy anymore, so why does he need an excuse then?

Just a question....were you in Melbourne when Plugger was playing?

If you think Harvey is a god now (which he is!), well Plugger was God X infinity back then!

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:
Teflon wrote:I still respect him...
That's nice love...you go have a little lie down now, before you get all worked up again.
Keep calling me love and I might get worked up....been a while...love.. :wink:

“Yeah….nah””
SENsei
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:

Stewart,
Ditterich
Winmar

I thought the same when I read that list. I mean Justin Plapp is still connected to the club in some way down in Tassie, isn't he?

Interesting to see if any of his current ex-teammates would be available to be there ..... ie. Barry Hall, Shane Wakelin, Matthew Carr, Peter Everitt, Brent Guerra....will they be there? Game time permitting.

As for Plugger, he has a valid excuse this time and good luck to him for his new career. He's moved on from the AFL into a new stage of his life.

Would love to know though what turned him against the Saints so strongly. You'd think you'd still have a soft spot for a club you started at as a junior and won a Brownlow with. Something major must have happened somewhere along the line.

Poster formerly known as SENsaintsational. More wisdom. More knowledge. Less name.
yipper
SS Life Member

SENsaintsational wrote:
As for Plugger, he has a valid excuse this time and good luck to him for his new career. He's moved on from the AFL into a new stage of his life.

Would love to know though what turned him against the Saints so strongly. You'd think you'd still have a soft spot for a club you started at as a junior and won a Brownlow with. Something major must have happened somewhere along the line.
Don't think it's actually anything against St Kilda - rather, he just doesn't like footy and all the hoo-haa around it, media etc. Don't think he goes to many Sydney things either actually. He just shuns anything to do with footy at all. Bit strange for us footy tragics to get our head around - but that's the way he is.

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.