UMPIRES

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

UMPIRES

Two trips to Perth 19 frees in total. Joke and Healy didnt hold back on a few that we missed out on. Please Ross send Gieshan a few slabs we need them on side for the rest of the year.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Thought the umpiring was ok yesterday. One or two to us I noticed were missed, esp one to Roo or Kosi for jumper holding right in front. And the one they got gifted at the top of the square for an infringement when we were kicking out ( what was that for, I had to have the sound down at that point?).
Then again there were a couple to them I thought were missed as well. Thought the umps were ok, didn't interfere too much. Only 22 frees so they let the game go.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

I would kill for every game to only have 22 free kicks, hell I would cop having only 9 of them.....

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote:And the one they got gifted at the top of the square for an infringement when we were kicking out ( what was that for, I had to have the sound down at that point?).
In the huddle Crowley was holding on to Joey (as usual) and not letting him get out of the huddle.
Max came in to block Crowley who let go of Joey and Max touched Crowley on the arm.

That was the free kick. According to the commentators there were at least 3 players holding in the huddle and for one to be ppicked out for Freo was a joke.

ozrulestrace
SS Hall of Fame

When Glen Jakovich actually talks about the number of free kicks missed by the umpires (on St Kilda's behalf) says a lot as to how bad they were. Ten free kicks in a game still equals 2.5 frees per quarter. The hands in the back has gone, ditto holding the ball, incorrect disposal of ball seemed to encourage a play on. With the first shocking decisions in that last quarter, especially the 50 meter penalty, it could have easily swung the game towards the Dockers. I was beginning to think they are either truely incompetent or are so influenced by personal bias that any objectivity towards players and particular teams has been lost.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:
st.byron wrote:And the one they got gifted at the top of the square for an infringement when we were kicking out ( what was that for, I had to have the sound down at that point?).
In the huddle Crowley was holding on to Joey (as usual) and not letting him get out of the huddle.
Max came in to block Crowley who let go of Joey and Max touched Crowley on the arm.

That was the free kick. According to the commentators there were at least 3 players holding in the huddle and for one to be ppicked out for Freo was a joke.
Not surprised it was a dodgy one. When the players are all looking confused it's a good sign that the umpires have picked a dodgy one out of nowhere.

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

The best umpiring we have copped all year.

Stayed out of it with a few exceptions & didn't fall for Pavlich's constant sooking each time Chips beat him pointless.

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

s*** umpiring, but consistently s*** to each team, nothing was placed.

However there was one interesting decision for me that really stood out.

Lenny Hayes tackling Rhys Palmer after he tried to take him one, me and my mate both agreed if you had to explain the rule of holding the ball to someone who was new to the game, that would be the text book example... however it was still not played...

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
Sobraz
SS Life Member

Armoooo wrote:s*** umpiring, but consistently s*** to each team, nothing was placed.

However there was one interesting decision for me that really stood out.

Lenny Hayes tackling Rhys Palmer after he tried to take him one, me and my mate both agreed if you had to explain the rule of holding the ball to someone who was new to the game, that would be the text book example... however it was still not played...
was confused by that decision also... clear as day... Also, Kosi being clearly held in the forward line on one occasion was a poor oversight...

overall however, with a low total free kick count, i think it was the best umpiring of the season.. of all our matches atleast...

oh when
Club Player

TO -i think it was the best umpiring of the season.. of all our matches at least

It wouldn't have much to beat.

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Agreed..apart from that weird one in their goal square..was an understated performance by the umpires

Should be many more games where only 24 frees are paid

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
yipper
SS Life Member

Umpiring still not good enough overall for the AFL level IMHO - the other strange one was when the wife beater got a free (???) in the lastQ, and went back to take his kick, decides to play on and kicked into the hands of Saint just standing on the mark - no movement from Saint at all - just had the ball kicked into his hand. What does umpy do? He pays a 50 against the Saint cos he hadn't called play-on!! But the Saint did not move?? He just stood on the mark as instructed and did not move off that mark. Had the game been hanging in the balance - that decision would have given the shockers a goal and possibly cost us the game. It was a very poor example of umpiring from blokes who are meant to be elite - the best in the land.

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

yipper wrote:Umpiring still not good enough overall for the AFL level IMHO - the other strange one was when the wife beater got a free (???) in the lastQ, and went back to take his kick, decides to play on and kicked into the hands of Saint just standing on the mark - no movement from Saint at all - just had the ball kicked into his hand. What does umpy do? He pays a 50 against the Saint cos he hadn't called play-on!! But the Saint did not move?? He just stood on the mark as instructed and did not move off that mark. Had the game been hanging in the balance - that decision would have given the shockers a goal and possibly cost us the game. It was a very poor example of umpiring from blokes who are meant to be elite - the best in the land.
i was right there for that one the 50 was payedbecause Farmer did seem to play on but the call hadnt been made cause he didnt run off his line Mini was inside his line and threw his arm out to spoil the ball so in effect Mini was over the mark and spoiling from a free kick ... 50 meters every time .....
as for the free in the square the oly reason it was payed was because the umpire in the middle was blinesighted to see the holding on of joey and only saw the shepard off the ball by maxy to release Joey ... soft free yes but you get that some times .

the funny thing to me was that the dockers fans all day were complaining about how bad the umps were when they were on the reciving end or more frees then us and they recived one goal from a direct Free kick to our none ?!?!?
seriously stupid beings those dockers supporters

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
my les foote
Club Player

yipper wrote:Umpiring still not good enough overall for the AFL level IMHO - the other strange one was when the wife beater got a free (???) in the lastQ, and went back to take his kick, decides to play on and kicked into the hands of Saint just standing on the mark - no movement from Saint at all - just had the ball kicked into his hand. What does umpy do? He pays a 50 against the Saint cos he hadn't called play-on!! But the Saint did not move?? He just stood on the mark as instructed and did not move off that mark. Had the game been hanging in the balance - that decision would have given the shockers a goal and possibly cost us the game. It was a very poor example of umpiring from blokes who are meant to be elite - the best in the land.
McQualter wasn't on the mark. Soft free against Gilbert who stood the mark. The ball ended up in the hands of McQualter who handed the ball to Farmer. Before he had time to clear the area, Farmer kicked the ball at him. Technically he was over the mark but the umpires are allowed to apply common sense.

Win it for HIM!
Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

the umpires were terrible both ways, if we lost we would have been screaming bloody murder

we tend to get a tad one eyed however there were a few howlers that went our way which even the most passionate supporter surely would have raised an eyebrow at

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.