Chipping around with 5 mins left

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Winmar7Fan
Club Player

Chipping around with 5 mins left

I don't know what anyone else thought but being up by over 40 points with plenty of momentum and goals flowing we decided to shut down shop with 5 minutes left and start chipping around running down the clock.

With percentage looking so vital in a couple of weeks and no threat of losing it seemed an unnecessary and negative action. I would have rather seen them aggressively bury them right to the final siren.

It just had that trying to play safe instinct look about it kicking in when we didn't need to.

yipper
SS Life Member

Gee, just maybe, possibly they were actually stuffed. It was hot, that ground is miles long - give them a break, they won handsomely. Onto next week now.

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Yep we've done it all season

I guess the theory is better to win by a cerain 40 than go all out attack, leak a couple of goasl the other way as a result, and end up only winning by 25

Very frustrating for the fans wanting a massacre tho I grant you :P

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
tomnz
Club Player

No, I didn't like it. Especially the last play when C. Gardiner got a mark almost on siren, he should just go for it as it was well within his range, but instead he kicked it back. I didn't like it.

james rose
Club Player

alternatively if they kept attacking and lenny hayes got injured luke ball style in a marking contest we'd be very unhappy... perhaps the rational is you have clearly done enough why not save your bodies and the risk of them kicking goals...

Winmar7Fan
Club Player

yipper wrote:Gee, just maybe, possibly they were actually stuffed. It was hot, that ground is miles long - give them a break, they won handsomely. Onto next week now.
You need to look at the big picture mate I've been one who's been very supportive of us and RL and not up and down with our wins and losses week to week like lots on here but its things like that that seperate us from the top sides.

ashjam
Club Player

Freo had already waved the white flag and we were running well....should have won by at least 70 points being 50 up with 10 minutes to go.
Was shameful play in the last 10 minutes.

Newman
Club Player

Agree. A minor criticism but I was thinking the same thing. In the last few mins just kick it long and go for it. Point about Charlie was correct.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

I was rapt they shutdown in the last 5 minutes.

Conserves energy, virtually no risk of further or new injury.

I don't know the stats, but you can get quite of few injuries very late in a hot game due to fatigue and other factors.

If it gives us some chance of beating Adelaide this week, then it's a good thing.

Also, if we went all out attack, we may have kicked another couple of goals, but they may have counter attacked and kicked a couple also. When protecting percentage, stopping the other side scoring is paramount.

starsign
Club Player

With 10 minutes to go I thought go boys and crush them for more %
But as it panned out Freo had a few still having a red hot crack , and w.ith their season nearly, over and that feeling of coming under the career microscope , what transpired one would have to accept when you look at the broad picture

how many have we had injured very late into a game , and with some Dockers playing for their spot on the list who, knows
With the effort they had put in as genuine underdogs in those conditions , and a flight home with a day less to prepare for another do or die game against the in form crows , I think in retrospect it wasn't a bad idea
Take what was a good win safely and live to fght a good fight next week 9hopefully)

I can understand the dissappointment on this score, but when you way up the possabilities, we did good!

StSteven
Club Player

PS Does Geelong do it?

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Yes Geelong do it.

Charlie had no idea the clock was about to expire (he did know most of the team were about to expire).

Freo kicked the last goal. No point in lowering the percentage.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell