I have joined the club.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

maverick wrote:
Teflon wrote:
maverick wrote:
Teflon wrote:
maverick wrote:
Teflon wrote:
BAM! (shhhh) wrote: He was hired to win, not to learn.
Regardless of what the previous adnministration touted at the time about "the next step" I think its fair to say most right now dont reconcile with what can only be termed a naive view.

To suggest a rookie coach was going to walk in and take us in year 1 to the promise land is clearly now absurd and only those with a clear agenda for the coach to be sacked could be hanging on to such a ridiculously outdated view.

We are not what we were in 2004 and still people ignore that fact.
How many years did Eade take before the the Swans made the GF?
Roos and Worsfold made GF's in their 3rd and 4th seasons respectively...do you see RL doing this?

How long does the new excuse last for?
Very good.

or.

Al Clarkson GF?
Dean Laidley - GF? (and some had this halfwit last week as our saviour FFS)

Id wager the chances of rookie coaches taking sides to GF's in year 2 would be remote....but ont let that spoil your desire for a sacking... :roll:
Ah the difference is, you said NO rookie coach can take you there in the first year...

Who says I want him sacked, I just don't think he is a good coach, its not his fault Walls gave him a leg up.

Least you have watered your argument down to remote now....

Maybe you can answer when the newness wears out and results kick in...
or maybe you could stop being such a whiney @ssed b!tch and get behind your club and accept the fact the guys gonna see out his contract no matter how much endless ranting you do?

I holed out little hope. :roll:
Got a spare pair of rose coloured glasses then
you couldnt see through the doomsday clouds though could you?

“Yeah….nah””
BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

If the usual suspects have a moment amidst their little flamewar, perhaps we should consider this position that it's impossible for a coach to have a big impact in their first few seasons.

Obviously, to get such a picture, we need to NOT be focused on the rebuilders, Grant Thomas, Alistair Clarkson et al, who get a lot of grace to learn in because their teams are supposed to stink, it's part of the long term plan.

As have already been raised, Neil Craig and Paul Roos had immediate positive impacts, but they came from inside the clubs they took over, so there probably wasn't a long relationship building necessity as there has been with Lyon at St Kilda. Eade got immediately better results than his predecessor both in Sydney and with the Dogs.Wallace's first full season with the Dogs saw them finish 3rd (a big jump) and until Nathan Brown got hurt, his first year in Tigerland was looking pretty good too. Leigh Matthews took the Lions from wooden spoon in '98 to 4th in '99. Even Frawley made a prelim with Richmond in his 2nd season, his one good result there.

It was always going to be a big ask for someone to come in and take the Saints to the promised land immediately... but the question I'm asking is whether we're doing ourselves a disservice in tying ourselves to the idea a coach cannot have an immediate impact. It's become a very commonly held view, but have we come to it based on watching Lyon learn on the job, or based on the weight of evidence from AFL coaching changes?

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

BAM! (shhhh) wrote:If the usual suspects have a moment amidst their little flamewar, perhaps we should consider this position that it's impossible for a coach to have a big impact in their first few seasons.
Lyon has had an immediate impact.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

JeffDunne wrote:I've actually gone the other way Firey, IMO he'll get better if we give him time.

TBH, don't think we've got much choice but to persist.

In hindsight our short term fate was probably determined when we prematurely pulled the trigger on the last coach. I hate to say it but RodgerFox was spot on with his assessment of the impact at the time.

If we make the same mistake again I fear we'll lose more than just a coach. This time I reckon some of our senior players might just say enough is enough.

you didn't need to be albert to work that out ...buttarse let his personal affairs and dealings flower the club and its short term future....and for that i will...never...repeat never forgive the no sideburns arsewipe...

...but........

...lets get behind ross ffs.. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Saintlyone
Club Player

Why does Teflogger and Tossaboy always come to the fore when we win as if to claim they had some thing to do with it

Imagine the dialogue between them and RL during the game.

Tossaboy: I reckon your great coach. Just make a move ...any move.
Teflogger: Yeah me too champ.Every thing you do is grand.
Tossaboy: Yeah. we stick up for ya on SS when every one bags ya !!!
Teflogger: Yeah we think the Sydney game plan is a winner and your s*%t dont stink.
Tossaboy: And I got posters all over me bedroom of ya !!

RL: Why dont you two toss pots just F%$k off and let me do my job.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Dont upset them Kenny they are deeply in love and proud of it !!![/quote]

Quixote
SS Life Member

Re: I have joined the club.

The Fireman wrote:
Quixote wrote:
The Fireman wrote:I have joined the club of Lyon bashers.

Fireman, simple question -

If we make a Preliminary Final this year, will you still be a Lyon Basher?
Simple answer. no,if we did make the finals and progressed then Ross would be a successful coach but we won't so , simply put I am.

BUMP

Fortius Quo Fidelius Yo
matrix
Saintsational Legend

Quixote wrote:BUMP
hahhaha :lol:

Quixote
SS Life Member

Quixote wrote:
The Fireman wrote:
Quixote wrote:
The Fireman wrote:I have joined the club of Lyon bashers.

Fireman, simple question -

If we make a Preliminary Final this year, will you still be a Lyon Basher?
Simple answer. no,if we did make the finals and progressed then Ross would be a successful coach but we won't so , simply put I am.

BUMP

Out fighting backdraft Firey? :lol: :wink:

Fortius Quo Fidelius Yo
i_luv_nick_riewoldt
SS Life Member

Now that is embarassing!!

Go saints in '09!