Congratulations to Raph

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

terrific game from raph and i'm not in the least bit surprised that he had it in him.

has a bucketload of talent and, with him, it has always been about confidence.

his father's illness and his own health have not helped his season.

imo he is a real wildcard going into the finals.

i'd play him at chf and leave roo deep with the two smalls because that worked a treat yesterday after half time.

and keep giving roo space. there's hardly anyone who can beat him one-out. it's the double and triple team that we must always guard against, however.

significant for raph, i think, is that probably for the first time he's been preferred in our best 22 to his older brother. that ought to be a massive confidence booster for him.

nothing wrong with a bit of healthy rivalry, even between brothers.

x cannot be far off either. anyone know how he went for the scorps?

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

bigcarl wrote:terrific game from raph and i'm not in the least bit surprised that he had it in him.

i'd play him at chf and leave roo deep with the two smalls because that worked a treat yesterday after half time.

and keep giving roo space. there's hardly anyone who can beat him one-out. it's the double and triple team that we must always guard against, however.

significant for raph, i think, is that probably for the first time he's been preferred in our best 22 to his older brother. that ought to be a massive confidence booster for him.

According to the Hun, X picked up 26 possies on the wing and Fwd flank. Big Mac played well also as a lone ruckman.

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

forgive me but what did raph do apart from he goal and a few decent non-pressure headless chicken kicks??

slowly slowly with raph but to me he seems more the usual indigenous mecurial in and out of games type still

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

Saints Premiers 2008 wrote:forgive me but what did raph do apart from he goal and a few decent non-pressure headless chicken kicks??

slowly slowly with raph but to me he seems more the usual indigenous mecurial in and out of games type still
Um, it's called encouragement... and support for a kid who's had a tough year off the field.

You know, Fortius Quo Fidelius.. and all that.

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Saints Premiers 2008 wrote:slowly slowly with raph but to me he seems more the usual indigenous mecurial in and out of games type still
he's a bit bigger bodied than the "usual indigenous mecurial in-and-out of games type" if such a beast exists.

he's also still only 21.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

I thought Raph went a long way towards silencing his critics yesterday. I he had have held on to those 2 or pack marks that he flew for, he could have ended up with 3 goals and in the votes.

It was his first game back and will only get better !!

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

Not having the pressure of being in the backline where all mistakes are magnified (usually as a goal) is huge for Raph.

He has the talent to be the 3rd tall up forward. He created that goal that Roo snapped after crashing a pack & bringing the ball to ground.

We all know it is about confidence with Raph. He has always had a huge potential but just needs to be settled into a spot & show the intensity that he showed yesterday.

A step in the right direction for Raph & the club.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

To the top wrote:This kid played at CHB in a final against Adelaide, against bigger opposition.

He played in front and got plenty of the ball in wet conditions, also disposing with sureness and skill.

How many games did he have under his belt at that time?

Between 10 and 20 I would suggest.

He is a player crucial to our future because he has all the skills and then some plus he can play forward, back and mid - as a 189cm player.

So he also adds flexibility.

He has had some fitness issues with injury impacting (and he is no orphan there) but he has also shown just what potential he has to become a pivotal and crucial player at St. Kilda.

I was not critical of him earlier because the options he looked for were solid, team oriented options - but were absent, which was not his fault.

He was also called upon to play on the likes of Minson going forward, giving away how much exactly in terms of height and weight?

But he stuck to his guns.

Now to get his brother back and firing - because he also is a "gun".
awesome post

all the earlier mistakes this year can about because he was either given no support or he was going for the % option and it came upstuck.

He is the type to have his mistakes highlighted while say a hayes turns it over 5 times but thats ok....

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
fonz_#15
SS Life Member

WayneJudson42 wrote:
bigcarl wrote:terrific game from raph and i'm not in the least bit surprised that he had it in him.

According to the Hun, X picked up 26 possies on the wing and Fwd flank. Big Mac played well also as a lone ruckman.
i was at the scorps game yesterday and i thought mcevoys got smashed. He was good around the ground but he definately lost more ruck contests than he won and his opponent was in the best as well.

having said that it must be difficult playing as a lone ruckman.

x was fantastic yesterday, he looked full of confidence.

Robert Harvey- Simply the best
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Wasn't Fiora in our best 3 weeks ago???

starsign
Club Player

surely they couldn't bring back Fiora ahead of a now in form and confident X? or could they!!!!

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Saints Premiers 2008 wrote:forgive me but what did raph do apart from he goal and a few decent non-pressure headless chicken kicks??

Seems to me your typical never played football ridiculous comment that continually comes from you. Raph was fantastic he was clean with his skills ran hard and showed the courage overhead in defence and attack we lack.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
hotdish
Club Player

Raph played really well tonight.

Didn't over-run the ball, hit his handball targets, didn't get caught holding the ball (from what I saw) and his kicks and marking were great!

lets hope he keeps it up...

esaint66
SS Life Member

Brilliant game ... has been brilliant since coming back into the side.

Seemed to be the only defender that was holding his marks in the first half.

Like i said after the past 2 weeks, him hitting his straps come finals time ... what more could we want ??? :D :D The whole backline is firing.

hotdish
Club Player

saint edward wrote:what more could we want ???
His big bro X dominating also would be nice!!!

Solar
Saintsational Legend

once again he does the basics well

body behind the ball and works hard

great game raph

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
stkfc1
Club Player

Watched Raph close today, was fantastic . Great second half. Even a few bummer supporters around me were asking who was that carving them up! Great to see!

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

he has the makings of a very, very good player. just reads the play beautifully and has the vision that sets top players apart from GOPs.