If You Were The President For 1 Day?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

If You Were The President For 1 Day?

What would you do?
What changes would you make?

Here's what I would do...

STEP 1: I would arrange an "open" meeting with senior players and then with the coaching panel in an effort to determine if the on field problems are due to the list, coaches, or both.

I would then seek to address these issues accordingly.

STEP 2: Based on the above, a decision would be made regarding the senior coach, and whether or not he is the right person to take us forward.

If retained, I would emphasize that he has 1 year to prove us right, and ask that he modifies his methods to address any problems he may have with the players. Would examine if senior coach requires new assistants. And give him the freedom to recruit players he deems necessary to carry his plan.

STEP 3: My main objective is to ensure that we survive as a club over and above anything else.

Therefore, some hard decisions need to be made regarding our playing list and our future direction. As it currently stands, we aren't even close to winning a flag, so now might be the best time to rebuild. Due to the nature of the system, doing so owuld probably mean 1 or two tears of pain.

STEP 4: I would work out who the Top 6 to 8 players are that we can build our team around. These players are non-negotiable. Everyone else would be fair game in order to recruit the necessary players.

Naturally, due to the drafting and trading rules, we cannot turn over 20 players in any one year. therefore, we would ask the remaining group if they are 150% serious about helping our club win a flag.

STEP 5: I would invlolve these players in the decision making process so that they "buy in" to the club's vision, and minimize the risk of players leaving the club.

STEP 6: I would go back to a "pick the next best" player in the draft policy, and only trade picks if it would fit our long term plans. Alternatively, I would seek to trade players for draft picks and inject more youth into the team.

STEP 7: In 2009, we would cut off the dead-wood and begin to bring young players through. If this means shprt term pain via losses, then so be it. We have gone the "top up" path over the previous 4 years and it has failed. Time to reload and plan our next tilt.

STEP 8: Ensure that all off field resources are at "best practice" level. Including tarining facilities, medico team, fitness coach, and senior coaches. Most importantly, we must seek to ensure off field stability as well as financial stability. Therefore, there would be no knee-jerk decisions made.

STEP 9: Any possible rebuild carries the risk of alienating supports who rightly crave the ultimate success. Therefore, strong and united leadership will be required by senior players, coaches and Admin in assuring members... this minimize any drop in membership numbers.

STEP 10: I would make Harvey an offer to good to refuse and appoint him as a development coach. This would require him to work closely with our VFL affiliate team to ensure that young players are as ready as can be when debuting for the seniors.

Quite simple really. :wink:

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
Saints43
Club Player

I really hope that something almost exactly like that is planned.

About the only thing I would change is Step 2.

If the board decided the incumbent is the best man for the job then I would extend his contract to at least the end of 2010.

If the club wants the staff to buy in then the club must commit as well IMO.

But, for me, that is the clearest statement of what I would like to happen. (After I was slagging your post off the other day…)

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Sack Lyon.

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

rodgerfox wrote:Sack Lyon.
Mate, you could almost run a raffle to see how long it would take you to post that sort of response.

Sounds like you fast becoming one of the many "moron" suppoters you talk about. :wink:

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
spert
Saintsational Legend

Second RogerFox -moron or not

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

spert wrote:Second RogerFox -moron or not
So you reckon that would get a us a flag? That simple?

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

Step 11- Collect all those 'holding up the white flag' trash alternative strips we wear and burn them,then get the ashes and ship them off to the Moon

Bring back the Lockett era
The Linton Street Flash
Club Player

Get a room at a hotel, a few bags of coke, a bottle of bubbly and a couple of hookers!

Mmmmmmm...Presidential!!

Look again it's the Flash!!
barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

If I were president for a day I would

1. Tear up the Frankston deal which is total crock and hold immediate talks with the state government about building our state of the art training facility in St.Kilda at one of the ovals within a stone's throw from the Junction Oval, between there and the 96 tram line.
I would make it happen!

2. Re-introduce the candy stripe heritage style jumper we wore in 2004-2006 as our clash jumper and tell the AFL to shove it if they have an issue with it clashing as it only clashes with Collingwood and the only reason it clashes with them is because Eddie changed their home/traditional jumper of over 90 years, around 8 years ago.

If Demetriou still has a problem with this as he insists on being pussy whipped by Maguire, I would threaten to investigate the rort of him paying himself an 80% pay increase, around $780,000 extra a year at the very same time he buys his new Toorak mansion ( FAIR DINKUM ) and if there is any more carry on with screwing us over with 11 x 6 day breaks or whatever else he has in mind even though Grant is now departed, I would gently remind him that, his skeletons will be laid bare, an enquiry would be demanded, private investigators hired and his skeletons will be exposed.

3. I would sack Ross Lyon and John Barker and appoint myself as Coach with Teflon, sRs and Grant Thomas as assisstant's.

FAIR DINKUM, Armitage, McEvoy and Ferguson should have been playing all year instead of the continued selections of duds like Fiona.

Our forwardline needs another option like Ferguson, yet he gets played there for one week and then it's back to the backline and Casey again :roll: , give the kid a fair dinkum go.

Players like Armitage and the real McEvoy are the future and should have been getting game time all year, yet they are continually overlooked, it's a fair dinkum disgrace.

As for the appointment of John Barker, FAIR DINKUM, anyone read The Saint magazine, where he says " I've enjoyed my time here, I've learnt a lot from Ross Lyon and the forwards :roll: FAIR DINKUM, great, glad you've learnt a lot, but what the ........ seriously a forward coach with zero previous experience learning on the job at our expense, oh well, at least our forwardline is going gangbusters :roll:

Talk about jobs for the boys and looking after your mates, fair dinkum, it's a disgrace, talk about money for nothing, does he get his chicks for free?

I've had it with the serial incompetence of Lyon with his piss poor team selection as if HIS choice of a so called forward coach isn't enough.

FAIR DINKUM, Lyon wouldn't inspire a colony of ants with a sugar bowl!

So b4e gets a head job immediately, and not before time to, I might add!

That would surely be enough to keep me busy for a day at least.

DO THE MATHS AND THE SQUARES ARE ALL ROOTED.
marksnsparks
Club Player

Re: If You Were The President For 1 Day?

WayneJudson42 wrote:What would you do?
What changes would you make?

Here's what I would do...

STEP 1: I would arrange an "open" meeting with senior players and then with the coaching panel in an effort to determine if the on field problems are due to the list, coaches, or both.

I would then seek to address these issues accordingly.

STEP 2: Based on the above, a decision would be made regarding the senior coach, and whether or not he is the right person to take us forward.

If retained, I would emphasize that he has 1 year to prove us right, and ask that he modifies his methods to address any problems he may have with the players. Would examine if senior coach requires new assistants. And give him the freedom to recruit players he deems necessary to carry his plan.

STEP 3: My main objective is to ensure that we survive as a club over and above anything else.

Therefore, some hard decisions need to be made regarding our playing list and our future direction. As it currently stands, we aren't even close to winning a flag, so now might be the best time to rebuild. Due to the nature of the system, doing so owuld probably mean 1 or two tears of pain.

STEP 4: I would work out who the Top 6 to 8 players are that we can build our team around. These players are non-negotiable. Everyone else would be fair game in order to recruit the necessary players.

Naturally, due to the drafting and trading rules, we cannot turn over 20 players in any one year. therefore, we would ask the remaining group if they are 150% serious about helping our club win a flag.

STEP 5: I would invlolve these players in the decision making process so that they "buy in" to the club's vision, and minimize the risk of players leaving the club.

STEP 6: I would go back to a "pick the next best" player in the draft policy, and only trade picks if it would fit our long term plans. Alternatively, I would seek to trade players for draft picks and inject more youth into the team.

STEP 7: In 2009, we would cut off the dead-wood and begin to bring young players through. If this means shprt term pain via losses, then so be it. We have gone the "top up" path over the previous 4 years and it has failed. Time to reload and plan our next tilt.

STEP 8: Ensure that all off field resources are at "best practice" level. Including tarining facilities, medico team, fitness coach, and senior coaches. Most importantly, we must seek to ensure off field stability as well as financial stability. Therefore, there would be no knee-jerk decisions made.

STEP 9: Any possible rebuild carries the risk of alienating supports who rightly crave the ultimate success. Therefore, strong and united leadership will be required by senior players, coaches and Admin in assuring members... this minimize any drop in membership numbers.

STEP 10: I would make Harvey an offer to good to refuse and appoint him as a development coach. This would require him to work closely with our VFL affiliate team to ensure that young players are as ready as can be when debuting for the seniors.

Quite simple really. :wink:
Busy first day WayneJudson42. Can't wait to see what you'd do in a week!

You've got my vote.

howlinwolf
Club Player

Good points Wayne. I like them.

As far as the open session with the players I would like to see that
include personal evaluations done by each individual player on them selves and also what they think of other players.

Like Geelong did.

I would love to see Robert Harvery down there in the role as motivator mentor as he suggested on FC.
I would however prefer he never got involved in the dog eat dog world of coaches and assistant coaches though.
I find Harves too subjective in his summation of things at the Club. I put this down to him being so damn loyal to the club. I can't think of a time he's got tough and called it how it is as he's just too nice a person.

They say there's only two types of coaches.. Sacked coaches and about to be sacked coaches.
I don't want Harves ever to be one of these.
Then we lose all the value he could be to us long term.
He has ENORMOUS value to us as an inspiration and educator of how to get yourself up for a game.

iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

my vote goes to B4E. Dont forget your promise re RL!

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

First thing, remove all individual awards from the trophy cabinet.

The only thing that should be in there are things the team won.

Individual awards belong to the individual and for way too long we have worshipped individuals, not teams.

Mind you we are yet to have a team that can boast that they were the dominant side in the competition over a period of time.

rogerwa
SS Hall of Fame

get some flair back into the club

our coach is as boring as bat chyt
our prez is as boring as bat chyt
our game style is as boring as bat chyt
our players are becoming as boring as bat chyt
the club as a whole has become as boring as bat chyt

onfield gone backwards
membership backwards
attendences backwards
merchandise backwards
sponsorship will go backwards

gunna take a hell of a lot to dig us out of the hole we have dug for ourselves

eddies taken
jeff kennetts taken

only one left to fill the roll of coach,ceo,prez,media personality etc

BARKS .....come on down

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

barks4eva wrote:If I were president for a day I would

1. Tear up the Frankston deal which is total crock and hold immediate talks with the state government about building our state of the art training facility in St.Kilda at one of the ovals within a stone's throw from the Junction Oval, between there and the 96 tram line.
I would make it happen!

2. Re-introduce the candy stripe heritage style jumper we wore in 2004-2006 as our clash jumper and tell the AFL to shove it if they have an issue with it clashing as it only clashes with Collingwood and the only reason it clashes with them is because Eddie changed their home/traditional jumper of over 90 years, around 8 years ago.

If Demetriou still has a problem with this as he insists on being pussy whipped by Maguire, I would threaten to investigate the rort of him paying himself an 80% pay increase, around $780,000 extra a year at the very same time he buys his new Toorak mansion ( FAIR DINKUM ) and if there is any more carry on with screwing us over with 11 x 6 day breaks or whatever else he has in mind even though Grant is now departed, I would gently remind him that, his skeletons will be laid bare, an enquiry would be demanded, private investigators hired and his skeletons will be exposed.

3. I would sack Ross Lyon and John Barker and appoint myself as Coach with Teflon, sRs and Grant Thomas as assisstant's.

FAIR DINKUM, Armitage, McEvoy and Ferguson should have been playing all year instead of the continued selections of duds like Fiona.

Our forwardline needs another option like Ferguson, yet he gets played there for one week and then it's back to the backline and Casey again :roll: , give the kid a fair dinkum go.

Players like Armitage and the real McEvoy are the future and should have been getting game time all year, yet they are continually overlooked, it's a fair dinkum disgrace.

As for the appointment of John Barker, FAIR DINKUM, anyone read The Saint magazine, where he says " I've enjoyed my time here, I've learnt a lot from Ross Lyon and the forwards :roll: FAIR DINKUM, great, glad you've learnt a lot, but what the ........ seriously a forward coach with zero previous experience learning on the job at our expense, oh well, at least our forwardline is going gangbusters :roll:

Talk about jobs for the boys and looking after your mates, fair dinkum, it's a disgrace, talk about money for nothing, does he get his chicks for free?

I've had it with the serial incompetence of Lyon with his piss poor team selection as if HIS choice of a so called forward coach isn't enough.

FAIR DINKUM, Lyon wouldn't inspire a colony of ants with a sugar bowl!

So b4e gets a head job immediately, and not before time to, I might add!

That would surely be enough to keep me busy for a day at least.
Your feedback has been noted and will be presented to the board in fullness of time :lol:

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

rogerwa wrote:get some flair back into the club

our coach is as boring as bat chyt
our prez is as boring as bat chyt
our game style is as boring as bat chyt
our players are becoming as boring as bat chyt
the club as a whole has become as boring as bat chyt

onfield gone backwards
membership backwards
attendences backwards
merchandise backwards
sponsorship will go backwards

gunna take a hell of a lot to dig us out of the hole we have dug for ourselves

eddies taken
jeff kennetts taken

only one left to fill the roll of coach,ceo,prez,media personality etc

BARKS .....come on down
Yes, we are ware of the problems... what about some solutions?

F*** Eddie and Jeff BTW. The quicker we get over this pen1s envy over other clubs, the sooner we will win a flag.

Saying that I want such player, or prez, or coach... ain't gunna fix it for us.

rogerwa
SS Hall of Fame

first thing we gotta do is find out who's pulling the strings/running the show

is it burke,archie,ross levine .....its not greg westaway imo

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

1. Sack the entire coaching panel, except for Silvagni

2. Reinstate Grant Thomas as coach, and get Cripps and Terry Daniher back as assistants. Get Daniher to look after the forward line. Bring back Bundy while we're at it. Offer Neil Balme mega-bucks to be our football manager

3. De-list the following players: Fiora, Schneider, M.Gardiner, Rix(I like him but he's a VFL player), C.Gardiner.

4. Make a statement that St Kilda will be selecting only youngsters for the next five national drafts and will not recruit players from other clubs at all.

5. Piss off Archie Fraser, and get someone who can negotiate a decent deal for the football club.

6. Tell all the players that they no longer have to adhere to the most insipid, uninspiring, crap football style in the entire league, and that they can have a bit of ownership out there on the ground and attack, attack, attack.

7. Send a letter of apology to all members for the utter drivel they have had to endure for two wretched seasons

howlinwolf
Club Player

Geez Barks4eva you've nailed some great points there.

The Frankston deal doesn't seem right. What do they say if you're in doubt it's probably not right.
There has been uncertainty about it at Club level it seems.

After going to the MCG on Saturday night and seeing the invitations on the big screen for all supporters and members to go to the Lexus Centre after the game I couldn''t help but think why haven't we got a base close and central like this ?

We haven't got Eddie, I told myself.
Well we need movers and shakers like him.

Which stalwart of our Club would be the most likely to drive our club as Eddie has ?
I wouldn't know but I'm curious if there is someone that has the affection and nous for us as Eddie has for Collingwood.

I also agree that the trial of young players has been so stop start all season it couldn't deliver results. There's no consistency in the team to deliver results for the team or players.

It's all reactive knee jerk selections rather than a planned proactive introduction.

As was said above, whoever is Pres for a day is going to have a BIG day at the office !

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

cwrcyn wrote:1. Sack the entire coaching panel, except for Silvagni

2. Reinstate Grant Thomas as coach, and get Cripps and Terry Daniher back as assistants. Get Daniher to look after the forward line. Bring back Bundy while we're at it. Offer Neil Balme mega-bucks to be our football manager

4. Make a statement that St Kilda will be selecting only youngsters for the next five national drafts and will not recruit players from other clubs at all.

6. Tell all the players that they no longer have to adhere to the most insipid, uninspiring, crap football style in the entire league, and that they can have a bit of ownership out there on the ground and attack, attack, attack.

Yep, just what we need. Some fresh intelligent ideas :roll:

Point 1: What makes SOS so special?

Point 2: Why Cripps? Why Daniher? Coz he was coach when he had the best fwd line in the league at his disposal, and with delivery from a gun midfield? Neil Balme I could handle.

GT wouldn't win us a flag with this lot. Why not bring back Alves? He got us into a grand final playing exciting football. Why settle for 2nd best FFS. :roll:

If you said to sack RL, and go for a proven premiership coach like Thompson, Williams or Roos, then ok.

Point 4: Very foolish and naive comment. So if it's a crap draft and a gun player is on offer, you'd go the draft?

Point 6: Tell all players to pull their fingers out and execute what they are capable of.. which is very exciting BTW... when they are on song.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

Sack Lyon
Hire Ablett snr
Ask him if his son would come over and bring a few mates

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Silvagni has improved the body on body skills of S.Fisher and J.Blake, who previously would be turned inside out by opposition tall forwards

Thomas is passionate and an excellent motivator who was able to get his message across to players. Players did not display hesitation and apparent lack of motivation on the field. They were switched on, and took the challenge and MADE THE PLAY, not react to it! Terry Daniher had our forward line functioning beautifully. John Barker? - please, it's just laughable having him as our forward coach. Cripps is excellent with young players.

Let's go through the recent recruits from other clubs:

Fiora
C.Gardiner
S'King
Schneider
Dempster
Birss

I rest my case

Whatever Ross Lyon is preaching to his players, one of two things is happening: the message is not getting through, so you have to question his communication skills and his ability to motivate, or: the message is getting through and the players are playing to instructions and as a result we supporters are being served up tripe. Either way, he's failed. It's mostly about the TYPE OF FOOTBALL BEING PLAYED, and you can't tell me that the current style is going to threaten or worry quality opposition. We have enough quality payers to beat everyone but Geelong, but for two entire seasons we have looked constipated, indecisive, slow, lacking in passion, and nervous. I'll say it again, we don't make the play under Lyon, we sit back and reat to what our opponents are doing.We are playing almost identically to when Tim Watson was coach. At least he was wise enough to make the right call after his second season as coach.

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

cwrcyn wrote:Silvagni has improved the body on body skills of S.Fisher and J.Blake, who previously would be turned inside out by opposition tall forwards

Let's go through the recent recruits from other clubs:

Fiora
C.Gardiner
S'King
Schneider
Dempster
Birss

I rest my case
I'll buy your argument on SOS.

Your example of recruits is a bit selective IMO.

Fiora, Raph, McGough, Gwilt, Brooks, Watts, Sweeney?

Nothing to do with RL.

Birss > McG
Dempster > Raph
King > Brooks or Rix.
Schneider > Sweeney

Not sold on Charlie, yet :wink:

I still reckon that TD had more to work with than Barks.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

And wasn't TD sacked rather than leave on his own accord?
WHy was he sacked when he appeared to be doing a good job?

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Barks may have marginally less to work with that Daniher, but our forward line has been out of position so much that it makes me want to scream when I'm at the games. Barker needs to understand that our half-backs can't kick the ball 90 metres, and you actually do have to push your forwards up the ground. When they do that, and take possession of the ball, they can have the halfbacks run past them on the way through to deliver to the next line of forwards. This keeps the ball moving and doesn't allow the opposition to sit back in the spaces. Watch Geelong and you'll see what I mean.

Gwilt and Sweeney were very late round speculative picks. Brooks was a total stinker of a deal which has cost us more than any other deal in the past 10 years. The only ones that made good sense were Gehrig, Hamill, Gram, and Penny. Overall though, it's fraught with danger., and we're apporching the point where we need to build from the ground up. Topping up rarely provides the impetus for premiership success, and more often leads to stagnation of the list.