Trade/De-List thoughts !!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Trade/De-List thoughts !!

Before we all get carried away with all this trade/de-list talk at this time of year we need to consider a few things.

We need to have 3 picks for our primary list come National Draft Day

We already have 2 retirements in Harvs & G

We need to monitor Goose's health very closely through the spring. He needs to prove that his body can still stand up to the rigors of afl

We currently have 2 rookie elevations. McQualter & Eddie. We need to decide whether we want to elevate them on to the primary list for 2009

This years Draft is pretty strong/deep and EVERY club will want as many picks as possible in the top 30-40

This will be the LAST uncompromised Draft for quite some time

StKilda has close to if the most re-cycled players in the afl

I am predicting a large number of players (from all clubs) will be de-listed this year with little or no trade value because of the compromised drafts from 2009 onwards

We need to look closely at our scholarship players to see if we could/should elevate any of them to our rookie or primary list

We need to keep turning our rookie list over. It's success has been evident of late with Eddie, Jones, McQualter & Geary all getting a chance at senior level

We need to have a plan on what we want from the trade/draft period. I would like to see 4 picks inside 40-50, 1, or possibly 2 speculative picks beyond that and a full compliment of rookies with 2-3 of these being 1st year rookies.

How we go about acheiving our objectives is/will be very complex and will require a whole lot more knowledge/expertise than any of us have

BUT IT IS FUN TO SPECULATE :lol: :lol: !!

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Re: Trade/De-List thoughts !!

Eastern wrote:
For some

some of us dislike this part of the season............................................... :?

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote:
Eastern wrote:
For some

some of us dislike this part of the season............................................... :?
I don't like the bagging of our players either !!

degruch
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote:
Eastern wrote:
For some

Correct.

You did raise a good point though...every man and his dog will be wanting a piece of this draft, and I'm not sure we're in the best position to capitalise. I wouldn't be surprised if there are a whole lot of changes come draft time, other than the obvious holes to fill with retirement. If there are a load of delistings, more retirements, or trades, we may end up bagging a crop of average players. Very tricky prospect indeed.

rogerwa
SS Hall of Fame

reckon we could pyss off about 30 players & not have much inpact on our talent pool & about 1/2 a doz coaches & about 1/2 doz or so from front office

going over old ground but to save all the hassles of pyssing players,coaches & staff off

RELOCATE...& i aint joking

TimeToShineFellas
SS Hall of Fame

Eastern wrote:We need to monitor Goose's health very closely through the spring. He needs to prove that his body can still stand up to the rigors of afl
Fair point you raise - the Goose has pretty much flown under the radar in terms of talking about player trading/de-listing/retiring players on this forum.

Will be interesting to see if anything happens with Maguire at the end of the year.

Eastern wrote:I don't like the bagging of our players either !!
Most of the list at the moment is pretty much fair game right now. Not many are worthy of not being scrutinised at the minute.

Sometimes its a painful business, but the blowtorch must be applied at the end of the season, if this Club wants to go forward with its playing staff.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

I always look forward to list change time.It's time to say goodbye to those players that didn't do what was required,it's time for them to make way for a new batch who will promise heaps and deliver with mixed results......

I just hope those with the responsibilty of improving the list know what they are doing and get it RIGHT......

The list changes for 2025 have begun, always an interesting time for an avid supporter.
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

rogerwa wrote:reckon we could pyss off about 30 players & not have much inpact on our talent pool & about 1/2 a doz coaches & about 1/2 doz or so from front office

going over old ground but to save all the hassles of pyssing players,coaches & staff off

RELOCATE...& i aint joking
tassie saints eh Roger ?? :wink:

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote:
Eastern wrote:
For some

I love it, one of my fav times of the year!

It's quite refreshing to dump a number of poor performers and players that never made the grade, and bring in new players that bring (often false) hope for the next year.

I wonder if Ross can resist recycling - even though the government loves it - given his Sydney pedegree? The Swans have recycled very successfully for many years now....

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

And then there's the flipside... you can also trade players for draft picks.

Everyone has speculated about player for player swaps, but who knows?

Would you trade someone good to Melb for a 1st round pick?

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
signed sealed sainter
Club Player

Fiora, Gwilt trade if possible or delist. Gwilt's value has just gone up a bit after the last few games, hoping for a late second round or a third round for him and Fiora if anyone takes them. Michael Gardiner, Leigh Fisher and Matty Ferguson on the trade table, see if there are any takers, considering delisting if not.

Get as many as we can in the draft and hope some come through. Hopefully we can pick up a good player with our first rounder, Raph Clarke and Xavier Clarke have both been light contributers so hopefully we can get some good talent there. We've shown that we can't win a flag so blood some youngsters and see how we go. Jack Steven looks an absolute ripper, hope he gets a game this week so he can use his pace on Subi.

Signed Sealed Sainter
Fortius Quo Fidelius
Strength Through Loyalty
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

signed sealed sainter wrote:Fiora, Gwilt trade if possible or delist. Gwilt's value has just gone up a bit after the last few games, hoping for a late second round or a third round for him and Fiora if anyone takes them. Michael Gardiner, Leigh Fisher and Matty Ferguson on the trade table, see if there are any takers, considering delisting if not.

Get as many as we can in the draft and hope some come through. Hopefully we can pick up a good player with our first rounder, Raph Clarke and Xavier Clarke have both been light contributers so hopefully we can get some good talent there. We've shown that we can't win a flag so blood some youngsters and see how we go. Jack Steven looks an absolute ripper, hope he gets a game this week so he can use his pace on Subi.
The first 5 players you have named have no trade value at all. You say second rounder for Gwilt. Aker was a second rounder so we either keep or delist them.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Kosi to Melbourne for their first round pick.

Unfortunately it won't happen.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
signed sealed sainter
Club Player

What about all five for a second rounder? Hehehe

Signed Sealed Sainter
Fortius Quo Fidelius
Strength Through Loyalty
remboy
SS Hall of Fame

You can't expect to trade players who have played two games in three years. They have no value. It's getting harder and harder to do trades because clubs won't give up anything decent unless they get something decent. Correct me if I'm wrong but weren't there only about 7 trades done last year? This year may be different with the new teams on the horizon but I doubt it.
The bottom half of our list would have no trade value whatsoever. It seems that Ross wants to keep the top half, so aside from delistings and retirements I don't know that we'll be doing much.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

We are in a hopeless position, because you can't turnover more than about 6 or 7 each year and we could have up to 4 retiring.

The payers know this and are quite comfortable with it.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Trade/delist thoughts

Hey "Bernie shakey" If the "Players Know this and are quite comfortable with it" Then make it UNCOMFORTABLE let 'em play in the magoos!!!!
A season out of the spotlight may sort'em out!!!!!!
Trade talk is for the end of the year (just my opinion) thankfully the coach and players have more to be concerned about at the minute!!!!

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Jiggler

I was at training today (my thoughts, for what they're worth are on the training thread) and my observations are that everybody looks quite comfortable, including the coaches.

I cannot see us winning more than one more game, if that.

We will lose this week.

In my opinion the season ended three weeks ago.

If you want wait until the mathematics are over that's your prerogative.

Little Dozer
Club Player
Location: Forward Pocket, Outer side, Linton Street end or bay 38 Waverley

Re: Trade/delist thoughts

thejiggingsaint wrote: Trade talk is for the end of the year (just my opinion) thankfully the coach and players have more to be concerned about at the minute!!!!
If only they were concerned, we might see some passion and commitment.

Winmarvellous
Club Player

I seriously don't think antone on our list is untouchable now Banger's retired. Roo is inspirational, but can't kick us a winning score as a forward. That's his job. Kosi hasn't done anything at all. Dal is lazy. Hayes, though my favourite, is a shocking kick, and that is our major drawback. Ball has courage, but would get us a fair bit in return. Monty hasn't come on, Gram can't kick to position etc. All expendable if a trade for the better comes our way. We MUST retool, or we are gone for the next decade, ala Richmond.

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

Winmarvellous wrote:I seriously don't think antone on our list is untouchable now Banger's retired. Roo is inspirational, but can't kick us a winning score as a forward. That's his job. Kosi hasn't done anything at all. Dal is lazy. Hayes, though my favourite, is a shocking kick, and that is our major drawback. Ball has courage, but would get us a fair bit in return. Monty hasn't come on, Gram can't kick to position etc. All expendable if a trade for the better comes our way. We MUST retool, or we are gone for the next decade, ala Richmond.
Summed up very nicely IMO.

Roo is a marquis player, and the trade would have to be exceptional to consider. Currently played out of position. Would be more damaging as a wingman.

Trade Hayes and you destroy the fabric of the club.
Gram will get better as a mid.

Kosi, Ball, Monty???

I do agree that we need to make some major changes. Or we'll perish as a club. Regardless of who coaches us.

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
Saint Mik
Club Player

I would trade any player after this years performance if it was going to improve our position as a club.

I think this list is stuffed, the thing i dont understand is why we keep thinking we are going places and get upset when a players name is mentioned.

Look at our last month of football, its no wonder some changes are needed

Our players are very overrated so we should get some picks or players while we can, I cant see us going forward in 09 with this group so why wait until its to late, needs to be done and I think it will happen.

I am no longer in love with this list far from it :x I dont think its the coach, it is the players attitudes that has me concerned.

Even after Dal and Milney are dropped the playing performance change has only lasted a few weeks and then we are back to looking at dropping them again, and they are not the only ones.

Something has got to give going on our last month of football, its a bloody disgrace and even worse is our supporters still over rate the list and not wanting change to take us forward in 09/10

Forget the past, Saints footy, One better in 2010
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

WayneJudson42 wrote:
Winmarvellous wrote:I seriously don't think antone on our list is untouchable now Banger's retired. Roo is inspirational, but can't kick us a winning score as a forward. That's his job. Kosi hasn't done anything at all. Dal is lazy. Hayes, though my favourite, is a shocking kick, and that is our major drawback. Ball has courage, but would get us a fair bit in return. Monty hasn't come on, Gram can't kick to position etc. All expendable if a trade for the better comes our way. We MUST retool, or we are gone for the next decade, ala Richmond.
Summed up very nicely IMO.

Roo is a marquis player, and the trade would have to be exceptional to consider. Currently played out of position. Would be more damaging as a wingman.

Trade Hayes and you destroy the fabric of the club.
Gram will get better as a mid.

Kosi, Ball, Monty???

I do agree that we need to make some major changes. Or we'll perish as a club. Regardless of who coaches us.
One thing is for sure. If a club got Rooy they wouldnt play him as a wingman. He is in the top 3 forwards in the AFL he aint going to be played on the wing. We use Rooy correctly. he isnt the problem but there are plenty others though.

signed sealed sainter
Club Player

Luke Ball is a gun, he's at the bottom of every pack and he makes the tackles stick. He's the type of player we need at the club. He's the heart and soul of the club. It has to be one helluva player if i were to give Luke Ball away.

Signed Sealed Sainter
Fortius Quo Fidelius
Strength Through Loyalty
ThePunter
Club Player

Remember, guys, we are very unlikely to delist anyone who is not out of contract.

Rix, Fiora, Maguire & Baker are all under contract for 2009, and I believe Raph Clarke is as well. Despite Mini being delisted while under contract for 2008, he was rookie drafted and didn't end up costing us anything. If we delist any of the above we'll be playing for a player not on the list, which is wasted money and cap space.

Harvey and Gehrig are gone, but Eddy and McQualter will be elevated (and must be to be kept at the club). Attard also needs to be elevated to be kept. That means we will have to delist four players minimum, maybe more considering we won't be able to replace Robert Harvey on the veterans list.

Our out of contract players are Xavier Clarke, Leigh Fisher, Max Hudghton, Fraser Gehrig, Michael Gardiner, Matthew Ferguson, Shane Birss, Charlie Gardiner, Brad Howard, Andrew McQualter, James Gwilt,
Robert Harvey, Jarryd Allen, Clinton Jones, Luke Van Rheenan, Robert Eddy, Jarryn Geary, Jayden Attard & Stephen Milne.

Personally, I think, along with Gehrig and Harvey, the club will delist Leigh Fisher, Michael Gardiner, Matthew Ferguson and Charlie Gardiner. Luke Van Rheenan won't be retained either.

That will leave three spots open on the senior list, and three spots open on the rookie list.