"GWILTS GOT GAME"

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintjake
Club Player

"GWILTS GOT GAME"

Gwilt's got game
RSSFont downFont largerPrintBy Matt Burgan
2:37 PM Tue 05 August, 2008

James Gwilt has made the most of his opportunities since returning to St Kilda's side

Today's headlines
Lyon rues Saints' efforts, timing
Sat, Aug 09, 08
Saints' late run not enough
Sat, Aug 09, 08
Saints lose Ball but welcome back Hudghton
Thu, Aug 07, 08
Today's videos
Round Rewound Round 19
Sun, Aug 10, 08
Best Marks Round 19
Sun, Aug 10, 08
Best Goals Round 19
Sun, Aug 10, 08
WHEN James Gwilt was plucked from obscurity at No.63 in the 2004 NAB AFL Draft, it continued a fascinating journey from Victorian suburban football ranks into the AFL.

Having been named best-on-ground for Noble Park in the 2004 Eastern Football League Grand Final, Gwilt also relinquished a promising Premier Cricket career with South Melbourne before joining the Saints.

He then went from a 'smoky' to a surprise selection when he made his AFL debut on the eve of the 2006 finals, playing his first match against the Brisbane Lions at Telstra Dome in round 22.

Gwilt then played in St Kilda's qualifying final win against Adelaide and its loss to Sydney in the preliminary final, capping off a remarkable rise in less than 12 months.

Fast forward to 2008 and Gwilt's career, as he says, has had its "ups and downs", with a serious ankle injury, considerable time at VFL level and 19 matches coming since.

"'[It's been] frustrating at times," Gwilt told saints.com.au.

"In my second year, I hurt my ankle and missed seven or eight weeks and it took its toll a little bit and I hadn't missed that long before and I'd never been injured before, so it was a bit of shock to miss eight weeks of footy.

"You lose your touch and fitness, so 2006 was a bad year, but I was lucky enough to get another two-year contract when Rossy came to the club and he's improved my football.

"I think the club's happy with my progress, but I've still got a long way to go … I think I'm improving week-by-week, which is what I want to be doing."

Still, Gwilt may be on the verge on seeing more 'ups', with the versatile Saint has playing six of the past eight matches for St Kilda. His performance against Port Adelaide at Telstra Dome on Sunday was particularly encouraging.

"I was concentrating on my effort and intensity and it was there for the whole game," Gwilt said of his round 18 match.

"[Ross Lyon] was pretty pleased with the whole team's effort.

"It's been enjoyable and it's good to be winning and it's good to be back, after concentrating on a few things that the coaches and the teammates have been wanting me to work on … I've been working on them at training and hopefully they're starting to pay off in games."

The almost 22-year-old (his birthday is on August 11) said his hard work was now translating into self-belief at the elite level.

"The first half of the season I was playing with the Casey Scorpions and I wasn't playing too bad", Gwilt said.

"But it was a matter of taking the next step and trying to take my footy a bit further. My fitness has definitely improved and that gets your confidence up a bit, because you know you can run a game out playing forward or back or running with blokes.

"I enjoyed going forward last week for the first time in a while, because I used to play forward a couple of years ago. But I don't mind where I play, as long as I'm playing."

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

Has to be played forward, he looks like a footballer forward of centre. When he's down back he looks like a disaster.

Bring back the Lockett era
Buckets
SS Life Member

jonesy wrote:Has to be played forward, he looks like a footballer forward of centre. When he's down back he looks like a disaster.
Exactly, just cause he is played down back doesn't mean he should be one! Look great up forward last week and yet they move him back to defense and gets carved up!

Thats Mr. Smartarse to you
degruch
Saintsational Legend

HAPPY BIRTHDAY JIMMY!!!

marksnsparks
Club Player

Buckets wrote:
jonesy wrote:Has to be played forward, he looks like a footballer forward of centre. When he's down back he looks like a disaster.
Exactly, just cause he is played down back doesn't mean he should be one! Look great up forward last week and yet they move him back to defense and gets carved up!
I saw Gwilt go to the back line before the first bounce on Sat night and thought then we were in trouble.

At the back he's a liability, in the forwards, he can do less damage and he's a rarity in our team at the moment: an accurate kick for goal.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Buckets wrote:
Anyone can go forward...it takes a lot more talent and training to play down back. Showed a bit Saturday night and was one of a few positives...leave him there.

bethb7
Club Player

you know who i think's got game Clint Jones I love the way he is always hard at the ball and his 2nd efforts are very good. Sure his disposal isn't great but he tries his guts out thats all you can ask for.

If you can't give the commitment you gave this year and you don't want to improve, you can go because we have unfinished business-Ross Lyon
BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

Personally, I'm fine with him being down back. I thought he was set up to fail on Dawes, who was waaaay too big for him (I suppose the ide was that he'd run off, but it's hard to run off as a defender when the ball keeps coming raining down on your head out of the middle). Provided he's got help, happy enough with him on leading forwards (though I wouldn't want him running around 1 on 1 with Pavlich), and think he's okay as a 3rd tall if we give Fisher an opponent.

Strikes me as a winger personally, but that's what I say every time I see a guy whose disposal I like, but whose contested marking is erratic.

Anyone else think our defensive matchups at the opening bounce got what they deserved?

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

BAM! (shhhh) wrote:Anyone else think our defensive matchups at the opening bounce got what they deserved?
Dunno about "deserved", but wasn't Dawes playing his first game? And, Gilbert on Davis, gee how come that didn't work! Mind you, anyone who Gilbert goes to must think they've won the Lotto! Two or three gift goals here we come.

Pushing Gwilt forward was a question of where to hide him. These days you just can't afford to leave a player on the bench no matter how hopeless he is. Unless my stats machine has a fault, he got no goals.

my les foote
Club Player

He then went from a 'smoky' to a surprise selection when he made his AFL debut on the eve of the 2006 finals, playing his first match against the Brisbane Lions at Telstra Dome in round 22.

Gwilt then played in St Kilda's qualifying final win against Adelaide and its loss to Sydney in the preliminary final, capping off a remarkable rise in less than 12 months.
Could have sworn that was 2005 but the Saints website never gets anything wrong.

Win it for HIM!