If not Ross Lyon....then who?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Yes so why do you think he will coach us then? And why Saints people. None of them have had success.
I suppose the success that Lyon, Silvagni, Schneider, Dempster and King have experienced has helped us immensely.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
ralphysaints35 wrote:didnt he get virtually shoved out the door by ross?
Yes so why do you think he will coach us then? And why Saints people. None of them have had success.
Saints people, who understand our club are important.

Paul Roos had never had success.

Plenty of footy people haven't had success prior to being involved in premierships.

I don't buy the theory about 'knowing what it takes' to win a flag. I think everyone knows what it takes. The hard part is everything falling into place to make it happen.

Perhaps losing a GF is the best 'apprenticeship' you can do?

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

rodgerfox wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Yes so why do you think he will coach us then? And why Saints people. None of them have had success.
Saints people, who understand our club are important.

Paul Roos had never had success.

Plenty of footy people haven't had success prior to being involved in premierships.

I don't buy the theory about 'knowing what it takes' to win a flag. I think everyone knows what it takes. The hard part is everything falling into place to make it happen.

Perhaps losing a GF is the best 'apprenticeship' you can do?
Don't think Alves will agree with that theory, somehow :wink:

Would like to see a Saints person as asistant next year in order to have some connection with the players.

Think about it... u lose your coach and all his team. Would be disheartining to some extent.

But then again, HArvey is retiring. If you can't lift for him, I don't see how having Saints people in the box will help.

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
JeffDunne

We missed the boat with Laidley.

He should have been the #1 target when GT was sacked. In fact, it's staggering we didn't seriously chase anyone with senior AFL coaching experience. Even more staggering is we signed someone who never had any senior coaching experience - at any level. Is it any wonder he's struggling?

If we were to change now it would have to be for good reason. We would also need to be prepared to risk losing senior players including our captain.

For me, I think unless there's something I don't know about, then we have no choice. Stick with Ross, give him another year to take the pressure off with a heap of out clauses, and focus on building the best coaching team in the league rather than having one of the worst.

Aussie Jones would be a good addition.

If Harv's wants to be involved, let him get involved too.

I'd make a massive play for Buckley.

Of the current assistants, wouldn't really care if we tossed the lot of them. SOS is probably worth keeping. The others, meh.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Yes so why do you think he will coach us then? And why Saints people. None of them have had success.
I suppose the success that Lyon, Silvagni, Schneider, Dempster and King have experienced has helped us immensely.
What did RL win? And I was talking coaches not players.

Buckets
SS Life Member

Sobraz wrote:
Buckets wrote:Oh and Sobraz why do you have it in for Ralphy?
" :roll: "
Gee that's an intelligent response care to give a clearer response???

Thats Mr. Smartarse to you
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

JeffDunne wrote:
For me, I think unless there's something I don't know about, then we have no choice. Stick with Ross, give him another year to take the pressure off with a heap of out clauses, and focus on building the best coaching team in the league rather than having one of the worst.
If we keep we Lyon (which will no doubt happen) - who is going to manage trade week?

This is the part that worries me. I'm shiit scared that Lyon trades gun players that he couldn't get the best out of and recruits rejects and discards like his track record suggests he will.

Or, trades gun players for draftees who he fails to extract any ability from.

marksnsparks
Club Player

ANother "sack RL" thread. Browsers of this forum who support other teams must be pissing their pants as the Saints eat their own again!!

When will you ever learn? The "sack someone" culture has got Saints precisely one flag ever!!

In the same way players need time and chances to develop, so do coaches! The thing we need to do is have the balls to admit that we need to go through another cycle before we can have another run at the flag. This means pain for the next 5 years and a flag attempt in 2013.

RL will then have embedded his philosophies, it will be completely his own list and we will be in state-of-the-art training facilities. Most important of all, Geelongs 5 flag winning team will all be old men. :wink:

This is what should happen, but what will happen is Ross will fail to get us to finals next year too and he'll be boned sadly.

Then? Voss I hope.

Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

Well he is our coach, GT is not. some day these posters will get over that fact.
untill a better coach comes along lets stop sacking the ones we have. :roll:

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

marksnsparks wrote:ANother "sack RL" thread. Browsers of this forum who support other teams must be pissing their pants as the Saints eat their own again!!

When will you ever learn? The "sack someone" culture has got Saints precisely one flag ever!!

In the same way players need time and chances to develop, so do coaches! The thing we need to do is have the balls to admit that we need to go through another cycle before we can have another run at the flag. This means pain for the next 5 years and a flag attempt in 2013.

RL will then have embedded his philosophies, it will be completely his own list and we will be in state-of-the-art training facilities. Most important of all, Geelongs 5 flag winning team will all be old men. :wink:

This is what should happen, but what will happen is Ross will fail to get us to finals next year too and he'll be boned sadly.

Then? Voss I hope.
AGREE 100%!

I think (hope) that the reason for this thread would be to highlight the folly of sacking another coach. Then again, I am dellusional at times.

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

WayneJudson42 wrote: AGREE 100%!

I think (hope) that the reason for this thread would be to highlight the folly of sacking another coach. Then again, I am dellusional at times.
It's only follie if you don't plan it properly and don't do it for the wrong reasons.

Changing coaches shouldn't be a huge deal if handled well.

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

rodgerfox wrote:
JeffDunne wrote:
If we keep we Lyon (which will no doubt happen) - who is going to manage trade week?

This is the part that worries me. I'm shiit scared that Lyon trades gun players that he couldn't get the best out of and recruits rejects and discards like his track record suggests he will.

Absurd comment. Please remind ne which "gun" players he has traded away for rejects?

So what do you suggest? Keep the staus quo?

At our best, we are a top 4 side. But we are not often at our best. Why? Could be the coach... or could be that we have too many duds in our team.

Which "guns" are you referring too? Dal? Kosi?

Kosi did SFA under GT apart from his 1st year.

Dal?

Listen up Rodge... we have a handful of players who play their guts out everyweek, regardless of who's coaching them FFS. Some of them are hacks, yet still play out of their skins.

Why does this occur?

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

rodgerfox wrote:
WayneJudson42 wrote: AGREE 100%!

It's only follie if you don't plan it properly and don't do it for the wrong reasons.

Changing coaches shouldn't be a huge deal if handled well.
Agree, and boy, don't we have a "track record" of doing it properly. :roll:

bergsone
SS Life Member

Its really a simple question...Have we improved under RL?

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

WayneJudson42 wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:
JeffDunne wrote:

Absurd comment. Please remind ne which "gun" players he has traded away for rejects?
None. I didn't say he had.
WayneJudson42 wrote: So what do you suggest? Keep the staus quo?
Well, this is the dilemma.

At the start of the 2007 season we were 1st or second favourite for the flag. We had the cattle. Not only did we have the cattle according to the experts, they were that good that they could get a rookie in coach and still be coached to the flag.

18 months later, they're hopeless. Maybe the status quo is actually worth keeping? Maybe we do have the cattle.
WayneJudson42 wrote: At our best, we are a top 4 side. But we are not often at our best. Why? Could be the coach... or could be that we have too many duds in our team.
I believe it's because we are coached horribly. Good player played in defensive positions. Good players not playing natural instinctive footy. Predictable game plans that rely on individual acts of brilliance.

WayneJudson42 wrote:
Listen up Rodge... we have a handful of players who play their guts out everyweek, regardless of who's coaching them FFS. Some of them are hacks, yet still play out of their skins.

Why does this occur?
I don't get this bit.

Who is playing out of their skin? I don't see anyone doing that.

I just see some very ordinary, run of the mill youngsters, some average discards from other clubs and some stars that look disinterested and lack lustre.

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

Sobraz wrote:But in all seriousness.... if we were to drop Ross, i'd go for Aussie Jones...

I know the whole deal about needing to be assistant first, etc...
Ross has shown that aint worth squat... Aussie is a brilliant orator with a great football mind and perception... We must get him in and around our club...

Aussie will never make it as a AFL coach and is a long shot for a assistant role IMO.

How can a player (Aussie was one of my all time favourites) wh0 had constant motivational problems be a decent AFL coach when 90% of that job is motivational?

If he was appointed the Saints coach as some here have suggested it wouldn't be on ability but on romance and that is the wrong move.

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

rodgerfox wrote:
WayneJudson42 wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:
JeffDunne wrote:

None. I didn't say he had.
WayneJudson42 wrote: So what do you suggest? Keep the staus quo?
Well, this is the dilemma.

At the start of the 2007 season we were 1st or second favourite for the flag. We had the cattle. Not only did we have the cattle according to the experts, they were that good that they could get a rookie in coach and still be coached to the flag.

18 months later, they're hopeless. Maybe the status quo is actually worth keeping? Maybe we do have the cattle.
WayneJudson42 wrote: At our best, we are a top 4 side. But we are not often at our best. Why? Could be the coach... or could be that we have too many duds in our team.
I believe it's because we are coached horribly. Good player played in defensive positions. Good players not playing natural instinctive footy. Predictable game plans that rely on individual acts of brilliance.

WayneJudson42 wrote:

Why does this occur?
I don't get this bit.

Who is playing out of their skin? I don't see anyone doing that.

I just see some very ordinary, run of the mill youngsters, some average discards from other clubs and some stars that look disinterested and lack lustre.
What I meant to say is giving 100% effort, week in week out.

Here's how I see it...

When we play at our best, the game plan works. ATM we don't play near our best.

So, if we are being poorly coahced with players out of position, do we abandon and change the game plam to something resembling what we used to have? And will it win you a flag?

Or are we badly coahed in that the players don't get what they are required to do (which I doubt coz when we put it together, we look unbeatable).

Or, are some palyers just not up to what's expected from them?

So, do we sack the coah and hope... make personell changes and give RL the opp to see it through... or change the game plan to satisfy the "triers" and possibly, maybe win flag?

And the wheels on the bus go round and round... round and round...

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

How many different spellings of the word coach can you have in a thread. :wink:

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

It's my axsent, icehole :lol:

Behind Play
Club Player

According to SEN this morning, Tim stated that Mark Williams is seariously looking at getting out of Port. He knows how to win a flag.

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

What? There was a slight injury problem - he couldn't run! You can write the names of players who have recovered from two pcls on the back of a stamp - make that one fifth of a stamp!

bergsone
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:How many different spellings of the word coach can you have in a thread. :wink:
Maybe we should have rhyming slang for it COCKROACH, or c**k for short

Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

perfectionist wrote:
What? There was a slight injury problem - he couldn't run! You can write the names of players who have recovered from two pcls on the back of a stamp - make that one fifth of a stamp!
ahh kk there was a rumour going around that Ross pushed him out the door etc

TimeToShineFellas
SS Hall of Fame

Sobraz wrote:R. Harvey..
Hasn't he copped enough pain?

Saint Mik
Club Player

Behind Play wrote:According to SEN this morning, Tim stated that Mark Williams is seariously looking at getting out of Port. He knows how to win a flag.
Knows how to lose one also :shock:

RL is not going anywhere just relax people, second year coach and first year board, stability is the key and the last thing we need right now is a new coach.

Cant beleive some of the tripe you can read on here seriously,

Hey lets get Plough over from Tigerland now there is a great coach that has been in the system for years nice and developed, surley he would get us a result :roll:

Forget the past, Saints footy, One better in 2010