Our youngsters...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

True Blue Sainter
Club Player

Our youngsters...

To be honest, it doesn't look like any of them have shown anything other than glimpses of potential. It doesn't appear that any of them have the potential to become a STAR. We lack that X factor and enthusiasm that quality young kids provide.

Geary isn't ready for AFL footy yet, him getting ran down by Nick Maxwell of all people in the middle of the ground proved that. The thing is, the bottom 6-8 in our first 22 are looking very ordinary atm.

The Saints are coming!
Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

nick is an indian beggars form of nathan buckley

enough said

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
SaintWodonga
Club Player

We got to stop going for long term project players in the draft. We need speed & skill that can play in 2009. Anyone watch Rioli today and wonder "what if"?

Tony Lockett kicks 10 goals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v4ZQJHjlvM
True Blue Sainter
Club Player

SaintWodonga wrote:We got to stop going for long term project players in the draft. We need speed & skill that can play in 2009. Anyone watch Rioli today and wonder "what if"?
Spot on. I'm sick of project picks like Howard (in the 2nd round ffs!) We need to go for players who have a good track record in the underage comps, and appear to be ready-made footballers.

The Saints are coming!
SAINT JUMP
Club Player

RL HAS TO BELEIVE IN THEM NOT LEAVE THEM ON THE BENCH .CJ TONIGHT 55% GAME TIME 7 TACKLES 14 POSS WHATS THE MESSAGE THERE.1 GOAL

Richter
SS Life Member

Let's face it - when our 2000-2 group of players go, (approx. in 5 years time) then we're going to be screwed. We have no even B grade players younger than BJ and with the compromised draft over the next 5 years I don't see where we're going to get any from.

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
tweedaletomanning
Club Player

So WHO is Responsible???

Our youngsters are Fine footballers, BUT compared to other club's youngsters, they are not as good OR as well managed.

Have we had ANY Rising stars in the last 5 years????

THERE'S your problem.... Our recruiting is/was WAY OFF TARGET!!

Whatever we have in place MUST change AND FAST... :x

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

I read prior to last years draft that the Saints were interested in Rioli. I thought that he was the type of player we were lacking. Then in trade week we got Schneider. I thought, "Oh no, now we will not want Rioli." I was right. Instead we took a big ruck/forward, similar to F.Watts and B.Brooks who we had just delisted. I was not over wrapped in our recruiting, and have not been for several years. Who was the last good player that we have recruited? (Not being a No. 1 or 2 pick).

Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

sam fisher :roll: he was pick 50 something

QuestionOfAccuracy
Club Player

borderbarry wrote: Who was the last good player that we have recruited? (Not being a No. 1 or 2 pick).

Off the top of my head....Sam Fisher. He was taken at No.55 i believe and that was 4 years or so back :shock: . Correct me if I'm wrong.

I thought McEvoy was a good pick...you have to give him time because ruckmen always take time to develop. It was an area we had to strengthen and he was the 2nd best ruckman after Kreuzer in the draft.

Armitage hasn't shown any X-factor really...in bursts he's shown he could be a solid player for us but not a midfielder that you can build a midfield arounf (if that makes sense!). Geary still doesn't look up to the AFL speed.

What hasn't helped is that the last couple of drafts havn't had very much depth. Apparently this coming draft is a good one and hopefully the club doesn't trade any picks and uses its picks wisely!

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

ralphysaints35 wrote:sam fisher :roll: he was pick 50 something
And he's 26 years old.
I read prior to last years draft that the Saints were interested in Rioli. I thought that he was the type of player we were lacking. Then in trade week we got Schneider. I thought, "Oh no, now we will not want Rioli."
I remember thinking the same thing. I was really hoping that we'd pick Rioli at 9 and Dawson Simpson (208cm ruckman who went to Geelong) at 26.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

ralphysaints35 wrote:sam fisher :roll: he was pick 50 something
Yes but you need to actually find a Sam each and every year together with another good player or two.

Not one in every three or so years.

At present we are losing good players faster than we are aquiring new ones.

The AFL's standard is also increasing compounding our problem.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Red
Club Player

Yes we need speed, a half forward, a tall defender and a ruckman.

However, if you think that Rioli would have made the difference last night

your kidding yourself. Most of the young players we have will be alright.

It's the senior players that need to get their act together.

There was no leadership last night. Our best two players would not have

being in the best 5 on the ground. When the senior players have an impact

the younger guys always play better.

vacuous space
SS Life Member

mad saint guy wrote:I remember thinking the same thing. I was really hoping that we'd pick Rioli at 9 and Dawson Simpson (208cm ruckman who went to Geelong) at 26.
Every year this board wants a small forward with great skills and no engine and a giant ruckman who can't play. Fact is, Dawson Simpson played on the same teams as McEvoy, so it's not like we hadn't seen him. Our recruiters probably saw what everyone else did in Simpson. A giant kid who doesn't use his size to advantage and can't kick or mark well enough to be an AFL-level ruckman. McEvoy, OTOH, was the best mark in the draft, has excellent skills and should be the number 1 ruck at St. Kilda for years. We also needed a ruckman for the future a lot more than a flashy forward pocket. It was the right pick.

QuestionOfAccuracy
Club Player

Every year this board wants a small forward with great skills and no engine and a giant ruckman who can't play. We also needed a ruckman for the future a lot more than a flashy forward pocket. It was the right pick.[/quote]

Totally agree. We have much bigger needs than a flashy forward. We need more midfiedlers with speed!. Also need a key defender or two desparately!!!

saintly_safes
Club Player

We definately need to add some speed to our list as we get exposed every week.Teams know we lack leg speed so they exploit it to the max. The West Coast game was bordering on embarassing. Everytime they got the ball they just bombed in long to a foot race & we couldnt get anywhere near them hence we lost.