Time to Drop Dal again

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Dropping Dal again isnt the answer. He and Milney were the scapegoats last time but that isnt going to work again. As bad as Dal was there are many worse than him. Yes we expect more but I am sure he is trying his best. He is out of form like a few players at the moment.

Behind Play
Club Player

Dal was no scapegoat. Dal has some real issues and he really needs to get committed or he can p**s off

saintly_safes
Club Player

Behind Play wrote:Dal was no scapegoat. Dal has some real issues and he really needs to get committed or he can p**s off

If we pissed off all the players who dont appear to be commited right now, then we would only have a handful left. Apart from Banga, Lenny,Bally,Roo,Blakey,Max & maybe Chips ,the rest dont seem to be "bleeding for the jumper" at the moment. I think its a bit harsh to single out Dal when there are alot of other players out there in the same boat. I for one would hate to see Dal running around in a Collingwood jumper(or any other for that matter) carving us up,but everyones entitled to their oppinion thats what this site is all about
Last edited by saintly_safes on Sun 10 Aug 2008 2:57pm, edited 2 times in total.

Behind Play
Club Player

saintly_safes wrote:
Behind Play wrote:Dal was no scapegoat. Dal has some real issues and he really needs to get committed or he can p**s off

If we pissed off all the players who dont appear to be commited right now, then we would only have a handful left. Apart from Lenny,Bally,Roo,Blakey,Max & maybe Chips ,the rest dont seem to be "bleeding for the jumper" at the moment. I think its a bit harsh to single out Dal when there are alot of other players out there in the same boat. I for one would hate to see Dal running around in a Collingwood jumper(or any other for that matter) carving us up,but everyones entitled to their oppinion thats what this site is all about
I don't want to see Dal leave either, however his attitude is not right, due to his life outside footy, and as mentioned previously the club has tried to assist him.....with out success.

Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

Behind Play wrote:
saintly_safes wrote:

If we pissed off all the players who dont appear to be commited right now, then we would only have a handful left. Apart from Lenny,Bally,Roo,Blakey,Max & maybe Chips ,the rest dont seem to be "bleeding for the jumper" at the moment. I think its a bit harsh to single out Dal when there are alot of other players out there in the same boat. I for one would hate to see Dal running around in a Collingwood jumper(or any other for that matter) carving us up,but everyones entitled to their oppinion thats what this site is all about
I don't want to see Dal leave either, however his attitude is not right, due to his life outside footy, and as mentioned previously the club has tried to assist him.....with out success.
whats his life outside footy?

Behind Play
Club Player

ralphysaints35 wrote:
Behind Play wrote:
saintly_safes wrote:

He has problems committing and a few distractions

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Behind Play wrote:
ralphysaints35 wrote:
Behind Play wrote:
saintly_safes wrote:

I have never heard that about Dal.

Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

think, its made up.....

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Lets face it...Dal is not the champion we thought he was.

He is a downhill skier that goes well when the rest of the team does.

This is what Dal is.

Trick is to get the rest of the team playing ok....Dal will perform his downhill skiing role.

Every team has downhill skiers...problem is for the Saints we have way too may such players.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

It comes down to desperation and effort & Dal is in the bottom 5 in terms of these traits.

You can be out of form & still throw yourself in, tackle hard, shepherd and do the 1%ers.

He may be the scapegoat but you have to ask yourself the question when he is going to stand up when it counts for a whole game. The last half against Hawthorn & the final quarter last night are an indictment on the bloke that when he tries he has an immediate effect.

He's by no means the lone ranger but he is supposedly in our top 5 players... he deserves to cop it & I hope his teammates are asking him the same questions.

Behind Play
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
Behind Play wrote:
ralphysaints35 wrote:
Behind Play wrote:
saintly_safes wrote:

I have never heard that about Dal.

Good on you Plugger, because you haven't heard, it it hasn't happened.

From now on I will ask you before I post.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Dropping Dal again isnt the answer. He and Milney were the scapegoats last time but that isnt going to work again. As bad as Dal was there are many worse than him. Yes we expect more but I am sure he is trying his best. He is out of form like a few players at the moment.
agree. out of form and down on confidence like most of the team. very frustrating. as many of these guys have shown over the years that they can play.

if we trade dal it will be a mistake that will come back to haunt us over the years, i feel.

ross needs to get him playing the type of football that we all know he can.

show some confidence in him. i'd put him at half foward alongside roo and leave him there for a full game.

see if he can't lift a forward line that has not functioned this year.

i'd also try bj at ff.

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

saintly_safes wrote:

If we pissed off all the players who dont appear to be commited right now, then we would only have a handful left. Apart from Banga, Lenny,Bally,Roo,Blakey,Max & maybe Chips ,the rest dont seem to be "bleeding for the jumper" at the moment. I think its a bit harsh to single out Dal when there are alot of other players out there in the same boat. I for one would hate to see Dal running around in a Collingwood jumper(or any other for that matter) carving us up,but everyones entitled to their oppinion thats what this site is all about
That's like saying you hate your spouse and are very dissapointed. But you refuse to divorce her in case she finds someone else and finds happiness. So you accept a life of misery and mediocrity instead? :lol:

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
Mooksy
Club Player

ralphysaints35 wrote:how many guys are actually not playing very well

sammy fisher
kosi
joey
grammy
we should trade em all aye
You CANNOT be serious about Fisher not playing well.

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

We need to have a sticky that lets all the anti-lyon group post their names for all to see, so the rest of us can visit the thread and get a laugh at their expense.
At least teflon, StFid, SrR WJ42 and others can see it like it is.

This talk that RL is killing careers is complete and utter BS.
To say he killed Gehrig is so far from reality its not funny.
Today's game is "killing careers" of -some- stkilda players.
No position is rock solid anymore the rotations that go on mean that players need to have more than one string to their bow.
The flood went on in GT's days, so to say we are a defensive flooding team is also BS.
The indispustable truth is our on ballers, in todays' game can not cope with the speed of transition needed. Harvey Hayes NDS and Ball just arent blessed with leg speed. Harvey Ball and Hayes will run all day, and as grunts they are great, but you need true speed on the outside. CJ Montagna have got a bit of toe, NDS Armo and mini sadly do not.

That all said, I am not sure where I stand on NDS. I do believe he has been a cancer in the side with his effort in '08. Selfish, slack and sad. You would never see him taking the Goddard pack mark with 5min to go, slot the goal and while running back tap your heart to rev up the rest.

Would I be upset if he left, well not as much as plugger, but the thing I keep asking myself is what could the @$400,000 that would be freed up buy us instead? Kerr?

Seeya
saintly_safes
Club Player

WayneJudson42 wrote:
saintly_safes wrote:

That's like saying you hate your spouse and are very dissapointed. But you refuse to divorce her in case she finds someone else and finds happiness. So you accept a life of misery and mediocrity instead? :lol:
No I get that for free when I buy my saints membership its in there with the pen, lanyard & mobile cover :wink: .

Winmarvellous
Club Player

Dal Santo for Kerr? Now that's a trade I'd love to see happen. Kosi for Brown while we're at it would be nice too. :lol:

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

sunsaint wrote:We need to have a sticky that lets all the anti-lyon group post their names for all to see, so the rest of us can visit the thread and get a laugh at their expense.

No position is rock solid anymore the rotations that go on mean that players need to have more than one string to their bow.
The flood went on in GT's days, so to say we are a defensive flooding team is also BS.
The indispustable truth is our on ballers, in todays' game can not cope with the speed of transition needed. Harvey Hayes NDS and Ball just arent blessed with leg speed. Harvey Ball and Hayes will run all day, and as grunts they are great, but you need true speed on the outside. CJ Montagna have got a bit of toe, NDS Armo and mini sadly do not.

That all said, I am not sure where I stand on NDS. I do believe he has been a cancer in the side with his effort in '08. Selfish, slack and sad. You would never see him taking the Goddard pack mark with 5min to go, slot the goal and while running back tap your heart to rev up the rest.

Would I be upset if he left, well not as much as plugger, but the thing I keep asking myself is what could the @$400,000 that would be freed up buy us instead? Kerr?
I don't know who you are... but I love you just the same :lol:

Mentioned that speed was a concern from a few years back, but got howled down. We went the track of building solid hitting mids to copy the Lions, and now the game has evolved. And we are stuck.

That's why we are playing Gram and Fish thru the mid and CJ gets a game. Only X left to come in to add some run.

IMO we need to plug some holes down back so we can release these players.

As for NDS... I don't recall the exact words, but Aussie said that he had lost his passion, and that he could no longer look his mates in the eye and commit 100%. And he retired.

If Dal is in the same boat for whatever reasons, he should have the balls to do the same. If something else is going on, then someone should come out and say something as was the case with Raph.

Otherwise, we can only go on what we see on the field.
Last edited by WayneJudson42 on Sun 10 Aug 2008 6:47pm, edited 1 time in total.

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
Batnoe

sunsaint wrote:We need to have a sticky that lets all the anti-lyon group post their names for all to see, so the rest of us can visit the thread and get a laugh at their expense.

MCQ no toe?? he is a hard little bugger, he played a bad game but the last 7 or 8 have been worthy of being mentioned tough and strong enough for AFL

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote:i've said it once and i'll say it again

Ross "the career killer" Lyon

Gherig, Gilbert, Dal Santo...... whose next?
I think your onto something there...

On the contrasts loves the Sydney 'nothing special types"

Birss, Dempster, C Gardiner, Jones, Schnieder, Blake.....Career reviver for thee blokes.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

WayneJudson42 wrote:Funny... The anti-scapegoat brigade are using RL as their scapegoat.

Oh the irony :lol:
Thats where the buck stops........No Irony in that....Just some common sense.

Also, a man making this comment obviously didn't watch the game from the ground last night. Set up was disgusting, forward line non existent. We were the ones that flooded. Trying to run out of the defense with no one to kick to.

We were disgusting. Coaches Fault. You can't blame individual players for the net result of the team. They are coached to play that way - or alternatively not coached how to play properly. AS A TEAM.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

WayneJudson42 wrote:
The_Dud wrote:i've said it once and i'll say it again

Ross "the career killer" Lyon

Gherig, Gilbert, Dal Santo...... whose next?

Dud the "intelligence" killer.

Can we trade you to talking Carlton?
Gherig would have kicked 60 goals this year if he was playing for Bulldogs/Hawks/Cats, purely from the attacking gameplan and quality delivery he would get

Gilbert has gone from being the brightest up and comer at our club, with his run and attacking flair being his greatest attributes, to getting flogged playing as a key defensive backman, which he is clearly not

and Dal has gone from 3rd in the brownlow under our old coach, to what is happening now

seems pretty clear to me

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

If Dal Santo only had 1 touch at Q-time........he must have had 17 after.....and 6 clearances.....his stats were well down, but not disgraceful.......just very average for a rated player....

His second half was actually pretty good....his first half less inspiring

SainterX
Club Player

Drop Dal?

Good one. :roll:

If Harvey was retiring I am sure you would want to play every last game you could with the legend no matter how ill you may be too.

A true king doesn't glass his girlfriend.
A true king doesn't smear his blood on an opponent when he cannot break a tag.
A true king does not label umpires disgraceful.
A true king is Robert Harvey.
bethb7
Club Player

don't get me wrong he didn't play well last night but I was sitting behind the interchange bench and he seemed to spend more time off the ground then on it. I realise this was because he was playing bad but he wouldn't have had much time on the ground to rack up too many possies or have to much of an impact.

If you can't give the commitment you gave this year and you don't want to improve, you can go because we have unfinished business-Ross Lyon