Gwilt is not a defender

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Batnoe

Gwilt is not a defender

Playing much better now that Gwilt is leading from the fwd 50... never play him in the backline, he is a forward, he could be a player for us, but only in fwd 50!

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

exactly!

Nee!
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Nor is Goddard!!!!

Nor is Dempster (key pos)!!!

Nor is Gilbert (small)!!!!

guess what - Sam Fisher is!!!!!!!!

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Gwilt did a good job down back, taking on tacklers, breaking packs, creating some movement out of the backline...why not leave him there? His only kick at goal wasn't great (if ambitious, but he's a long kick).

Wish we had someone good to kick out!

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Lyon seems a bit like Bart Simpson trying to get the electrified cupcake. He does something and it fails horribly, so after a few tries he changes it. Then 10 minutes later he tries his failed experiment again and the whole process repeats.

He's done the exact same thing with Ferguson and Fiora. Ferg plays forward and does very well for the first time after years of getting smashed in defence whenever he gets a game...in the last quarter he's moved back to defence and is beaten. Next week he is played in defene again, plays crap and gets dropped.

Fiora finally has a good season in 2007 as a hard running outside midfielder, so at the start of this year Lyon plays him in defence (where he played many poor years at Richmond). Fiora is brought back into the team and has a couple of good games on the wing. Tonight he is played in defence again and gets flogged.

SENsei
Saintsational Legend

I actually reckon Gwilt's best position is wing/half forward. He has strength and some half decent pace. That long raking left boot could be deadly inside 50.

Not, of course, if we only go inside 50 on 30 occasions up until three quarter time.

Poster formerly known as SENsaintsational. More wisdom. More knowledge. Less name.
Sobraz
SS Life Member

was in out top 5 tonight i thought.... is coming along well, and unlike alot of our other youngsters, has a deep skillset to dig into...

BallBanger
Club Player

Sobraz wrote:was in out top 5 tonight i thought.... is coming along well, and unlike alot of our other youngsters, has a deep skillset to dig into...
Not sure I understand?
Are you saying Gwilt was in our top 5 tonight?

maverick
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:Lyon seems a bit like Bart Simpson trying to get the electrified cupcake. He does something and it fails horribly, so after a few tries he changes it. Then 10 minutes later he tries his failed experiment again and the whole process repeats.
Made me laugh.

Bono
Club Player

Gwilt is not an AFL player. His decision making is a disgrace - not what to do when he gets the ball, his decision making of when to go and wen not to, and when to zone off his opponent and when not to. Have a look at his goals conceded last night and then number of times his man was involved in a Collingwood score.

older saint
SS Life Member

Bono wrote:Gwilt is not an AFL player. His decision making is a disgrace - not what to do when he gets the ball, his decision making of when to go and wen not to, and when to zone off his opponent and when not to. Have a look at his goals conceded last night and then number of times his man was involved in a Collingwood score.
Your not the same clown who was bagging him last week in the 3rd quarter when Gram set himup with a terrible handball , yet cheering his smother in the last quarter?

We are undersized in defence and that is wht he has gone back. I think he could be a useful forward flanker as he had good body size, speed and skills. Confidence and expereince is all he needs.

kos
Club Player

Bono wrote:Gwilt is not an AFL player. His decision making is a disgrace - not what to do when he gets the ball, his decision making of when to go and wen not to, and when to zone off his opponent and when not to. Have a look at his goals conceded last night and then number of times his man was involved in a Collingwood score.

nor is fiora, he spent most of the night carelling his collingwood oponent than tackling him or attacking the ball.
what a guttless effort from a bunch of heartless so called professionals who couldnt beat a near collingwood 2s side.
you are excused
goddard
hayes
harvey
riewoldt (injured)
s fisher
week in week out these 5 give there all without much support.

Behind Play
Club Player

Gwilt, is not up to it.

davidgrantfan
Club Player

""We are undersized in defence and that is wht he has gone back. I think he could be a useful forward flanker as he had good body size, speed and skills. Confidence and expereince is all he needs.""

I agree. I previously held no hope for him, however, he has improved vastly in the past two weeks, and could wind up being our most improved player..., esp if we can move him forward. he is no great defender/tagger...giving away numerous frees/goals in the process.

Gwilt has shown me that he can get the ball and is strong enough to break away, can take a strong mark, and two weeks ago he showed us that he is not a bad long kick for goal either.. Not our worst player last night..would almost give him one vote for what he did last night , and 2 votes for the previous week.

kos
Club Player

davidgrantfan wrote:""We are undersized in defence and that is wht he has gone back. I think he could be a useful forward flanker as he had good body size, speed and skills. Confidence and expereince is all he needs.""

I agree. I previously held no hope for him, however, he has improved vastly in the past two weeks, and could wind up being our most improved player..., esp if we can move him forward. he is no great defender/tagger...giving away numerous frees/goals in the process.

Gwilt has shown me that he can get the ball and is strong enough to break away, can take a strong mark, and two weeks ago he showed us that he is not a bad long kick for goal either.. Not our worst player last night..would almost give him one vote for what he did last night , and 2 votes for the previous week.

i wouldnt say we are undersized, fisher, hudgton, gilbert, dempster, blake and goddard are all about 190cm+.

maverick
Saintsational Legend

Behind Play wrote:Gwilt, is not up to it.
In attack he has a chance to make it, in defence he has very little

davidgrantfan
Club Player

Kos wrote :

""i wouldnt say we are undersized, fisher, hudgton, gilbert, dempster, blake and goddard are all about 190cm+."'

Yes. That first sentence in the quote I posted should have been omitted.

Bono
Club Player

[quote="older saint"][quote="Bono"]Gwilt is not an AFL player. His decision making is a disgrace - not what to do when he gets the ball, his decision making of when to go and wen not to, and when to zone off his opponent and when not to. Have a look at his goals conceded last night and then number of times his man was involved in a Collingwood score.[/quote]

Your not the same clown who was bagging him last week in the 3rd quarter when Gram set himup with a terrible handball , yet cheering his smother in the last quarter?

We are undersized in defence and that is wht he has gone back. I think he could be a useful forward flanker as he had good body size, speed and skills. Confidence and expereince is all he needs.[/quote]

No I am not that clown. Let him get his confidence and experience somewhere else.

SainterX
Club Player

Playing much better now that Gwilt is leading from the fwd 50... never play him in the backline, he is a forward, he could be a player for us, but only in fwd 50!
He is playing because he is willing to tow the line I reckon.

Matthew Ferguson is a bit too flamboyant apparently :(

A true king doesn't glass his girlfriend.
A true king doesn't smear his blood on an opponent when he cannot break a tag.
A true king does not label umpires disgraceful.
A true king is Robert Harvey.