Time for a few home truths

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SainterX1
Club Player

Something For Kate wrote:Yeah but we're still in the eight. You're so mean. THe boys are trying their hardest. They were just really sad banger was retiring.
I'd be sad too if I saw the bloke who had carried me all my career was retiring. I'm sure they're trying their hardest at the moment. It's just not good enough.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bigred wrote:tell me why we wont?
No young players coming through who are better than GOP and also losing one of our best onballers and no forward line. Your turn now.

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Young players?

plugger66 wrote:
bigred wrote:tell me why we wont?
No young players coming through who are better than GOP and also losing one of our best onballers and no forward line. Your turn now.
How is it these same young players when playing for a positive and encouraging Casey coach can collect 40 possessions and look to play attacking footy. Yet when the come up a grade they look confused, slow and are poorly skilled?

1 simple answer is the game plan and the negative influence LYON has on these players....

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
hotdish
Club Player

kaos theory wrote:We have developed almost NOTHING out of young players over last 5 years of football.
That's Bull$$s***.

Goddard
Gram
S Fisher
Gilbert [rising star nomination]
Armo
Montagna [by the end of 2004, he had played 21 total games and wasn't in our starting 22]
McQualter is beginning to solidate a spot.

Edit - Also Clinton Jones...
Last edited by hotdish on Sat 09 Aug 2008 11:48pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sobraz
SS Life Member

Not our top end that let us down... Its the next (young) tier, or lack of it...

Eddy (VFL hard worker who will struggle to make it at AFL)
Jones (see Eddy)
Geary (the worst of the bunch.. Just useless and wont make it...)

we have nothing coming through... Gilbo and Gwilt were good down back IMO and were in out best... but running mids/half forwards = nothing...

Once again, trade kosi, trade dal... that'll do it...

kaos theory
Club Player

That's Bull$$s***.

Goddard
Gram
S Fisher
Armo
Montagna [by the end of 2004, he had played 21 total games and wasn't in our starting 22]
Goddard was a number one pick. Blind freddy could have developed him into a footballer.

I will gibe you fisher, gram was picked up in 03 (02?). He played good football when he came, just had long-term injury problems, that kept him off the field till 05.

Monty was already playing well in 04...

Armo & mini have shown little but potential...still a LONG way to go. gilbert has gone nowhere atm..

We are getting better, but we lack talent.....Also the coaching dept needs to be looked at. Are we getting the best out of our players overall?

hotdish
Club Player

kaos theory wrote:
That's Bull$$s***.

Goddard
Gram
S Fisher
Armo
Goddard was a number one pick. Blind freddy could have developed him into a footballer.

I will gibe you fisher, gram was picked up in 03 (02?). He played good football when he came, just had long-term injury problems, that kept him off the field till 05.

Monty was already playing well in 04...

Armo & mini have shown little but potential...still a LONG way to go. gilbert has gone nowhere atm..

We are getting better, but we lack talent.....Also the coaching dept needs to be looked at. Are we getting the best out of our players overall?
i'm not going to waste 10 minutes debunking your weak argument, but cmon, you can't just say that anyone taken #1 will turn into a gun... It doesn't just magically happen.

Gram didn't show anything until 2006, and had played 4 games at the end of 04. He has been developed...he came to the saints with 2 whole AFL games behind him! WOW!

Monty showed glimpses in 04, like Armo has now, but wasn't even close to our 22...

S Fisher debuted in 2004, and played 7 games. Dominated in 05...

Gilbert is a gun. He is 22 and from a non-afl background, and is holding down a key defensive post while maguire is out. He is a gun, and if he was played on the wing he would be tearing it up.

Have we got the best out of our players - NO. Has luck had a lot to do with that?

Brooks - knee Reco, never was the same.
Watts - Broken leg - after that never showed anything
Penny - was a GUN - bad knee ended his career
Maguire - injuries have crippled his career

Our supporters need to stop bagging the club out for our lack of depth/youngsters coming through. We went for the premiership, kept players a few years too long [thompson,peckett, etc.] and we are paying the price.

The world is not collapsing. We are floating along fine...You take away Gehrig, Fiora,R Harvey and Hudghton from our list and we are a young team...