Steven Baker latest

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Steven Baker latest

I note that Steven Baker does not appear in the team list for the Scorpions. He did not appear on the injury list earlier this week. But with a pcl injury, the question has to be asked, have we seen the last of him? I hope not, but the history of such injuries (especially at St Kilda) does not bode well.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

must get Bakes back and soon.

Pwoit
Saintsational Legend

Steven Baker - 2 Weeks

Sobraz
SS Life Member

I personally believe he will seriously struggle to play seniors again... Seems this injury will not go away, and as with Hamill, it could spell the end...

Great player for us at his peak, but even if he does fight his was back, It will be tough to get senior selection... Mini has come along in a similar role this year, and Demp has been ever reliable...

I wouldnt be relying on bakes to come back and play to the levels he has again...

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

IMO now would be the time to trade him

we've got plenty of others that can fill this role

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:IMO now would be the time to trade him

we've got plenty of others that can fill this role
We should 'never ever' trade someone like Baker. He has worked too hard and done so much. His type of player gives the club its passion - because he is a Saint in heart and soul.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

A reliable forumite posted a day or two back that his knee had flared again...

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

perfectionist wrote:
We should 'never ever' trade someone like Baker. He has worked too hard and done so much. His type of player gives the club its passion - because he is a Saint in heart and soul.
if u could get a 2nd round or early 3rd round pick for him in the most talent soaked draft of all time you'd be foolish not to.

Don't get me wrong, I actually really like Baker but he's not getting any younger, it's looking like he's becoming more injury prone, he's never been overly fast or damaging on the rebound and one would think that he'll pbly get slower from this point and we've got plenty of others that can play that role...
McQualter, Dempster and Attard's on the come back from injury too

Infact I'm hoping that mini can develop into something that Bakes did not... a midfielder in his own right that still shuts down opposition's finest ala Ling

I hate to say it but i think his best is behind him

degruch
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:
perfectionist wrote:
if u could get a 2nd round or early 3rd round pick for him in the most talent soaked draft of all time you'd be foolish not to.

Don't get me wrong, I actually really like Baker but he's not getting any younger, it's looking like he's becoming more injury prone, he's never been overly fast or damaging on the rebound and one would think that he'll pbly get slower from this point and we've got plenty of others that can play that role...

Infact I'm hoping that mini can develop into something that Bakes did not... a midfielder in his own right that still shuts down opposition's finest ala Ling

How much to you get for a 26 year old tagger with a bung knee? I wouldn't dream of getting rid of him...no-one in the team (possibly the league) was as good as him.

Seaford_Saint
Club Player

skeptic..... you'e a dead set dill.....

trade baker... yeah ok.....

i guess adelaide should trade mcleod... eagles glass...... dogs johnson..... hawks crawford..... roos rawlings...... tigers coghlan...... swans crouch......

their best form is past all of them.... but they are the life and soul of their football club - the fabric - the culture.... you simply break football clubs making those sorts of crazy decisions.

Failure cannot succeed in the face of persistence......
spert
Saintsational Legend

Only difference is that Baker is spending a lot of time in the stand watching, either with injury or being rubbed out for dumb on-field incidents.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:Only difference is that Baker is spending a lot of time in the stand watching, either with injury or being rubbed out for dumb on-field incidents.
Yes, but you give players of that quality time to recover...you don't throw them away and hope the next 19 year old or secondhand cast off can do the job just as well.

St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

Pwoit wrote:Steven Baker - 2 Weeks
OMG de ja vu! :(

When they created LENNY HAYES (in the shadow of Harvs) they forgot to break the mold (again)- hence the Supremely Incredible Jack Steven!!
The Saintsational Man
Club Player

Hahaha GOLD!!!

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:
perfectionist wrote:

love bakes. probably not tradeable. noone would take a 30 year old tagger with a degenerative knee injury. lets say goodbye with grace.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Seaford_Saint wrote:skeptic..... you'e a dead set dill.....

trade baker... yeah ok.....

i guess adelaide should trade mcleod... eagles glass...... dogs johnson..... hawks crawford..... roos rawlings...... tigers coghlan...... swans crouch......

their best form is past all of them.... but they are the life and soul of their football club - the fabric - the culture.... you simply break football clubs making those sorts of crazy decisions.
First of all, Rawlings, Coughlan and Crouch are not the life and souls of their respective football clubs. Infact Coglan will pbly be delisted at seasons end.
And McLeod, Johnson, Glass, and Crawford all contribute more to their football clubs than Baker does to ours

Baker is not the life and soul of this club and I don't know that from this point forth he can contribute a lot w/o taking a spot away from a younger kid who could be better.

I'm not saying delist the guy but the smarter forumites who judged my argument on its merits (unlike u SS who was simply washed up in the emotion of Baker being the heart and soul of the club who should never ever leave even if he never players again coz he makes me so warm and fuzzy inside) identified that my asking price was too high. Though i did chuck in the word "IF".

Hypothetical: would you trade him for pick no 40???

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

The Saintsational Man wrote:
Hahaha GOLD!!!

yeah was the first 4 million times posted about any player injured also

degruch
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:First of all, Rawlings, Coughlan and Crouch are not the life and souls of their respective football clubs. Infact Coglan will pbly be delisted at seasons end.
And McLeod, Johnson, Glass, and Crawford all contribute more to their football clubs than Baker does to ours

Baker is not the life and soul of this club and I don't know that from this point forth he can contribute a lot w/o taking a spot away from a younger kid who could be better.

I'm not saying delist the guy but the smarter forumites who judged my argument on its merits (unlike u SS who was simply washed up in the emotion of Baker being the heart and soul of the club who should never ever leave even if he never players again coz he makes me so warm and fuzzy inside) identified that my asking price was too high. Though i did chuck in the word "IF".

Hypothetical: would you trade him for pick no 40???
Think you've written the guy off far too quick...should be trading off Macguire too? Bakes is the best tagger in the land, yes, he injured, but you let guys like him recoup before you write them off.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

fair point

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

i fear the day Bakes got golden boy Judd rubbed out spelt the end for him ,
the rules of the game have hampered him to the point where he cant even look in the direction of the other team without getting reported ... much of his agression and grunt is now usless as the rest of the comp know to just fall over and the umps will see the number 10 and pay the free . he had to reinvent himself after the farmer deparcle as it proved he was a marked man but sadly now the injurys have set in i fear the time may be up for him to reinvent himself . shame as he is one of my fav players

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
degruch
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:i fear the day Bakes got golden boy Judd rubbed out spelt the end for him ,
the rules of the game have hampered him to the point where he cant even look in the direction of the other team without getting reported ... much of his agression and grunt is now usless as the rest of the comp know to just fall over and the umps will see the number 10 and pay the free . he had to reinvent himself after the farmer deparcle as it proved he was a marked man but sadly now the injurys have set in i fear the time may be up for him to reinvent himself . shame as he is one of my fav players
Juddy would love to see the back of Bakes...could barely get a kick on him. Many players have said he's the hardest tag in the biz. You'd think if there's still a place for Josh Carr in the game, there'd still be a place for Bakes...although, I agree (obviously) he seems to be a marked man.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Not on the injury list, not playing for St. Kilda, not playing for Casey, not playing for Casey Reserves.

Current injury list: Aug 4th.

Jayden Attard – ACL reconstruction, test

Luke Ball - Hamstring, 2-3 weeks

Eljay Connors – Shoulder (reconstruction), season

Matt Maguire – Foot (fractured fourth metatarsal), season

Luke van Rheenen – Foot, season

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:
st_Trav_ofWA wrote:i fear the day Bakes got golden boy Judd rubbed out spelt the end for him ,
Juddy would love to see the back of Bakes...could barely get a kick on him. Many players have said he's the hardest tag in the biz. You'd think if there's still a place for Josh Carr in the game, there'd still be a place for Bakes...although, I agree (obviously) he seems to be a marked man.
honestly i cant see room for Carr in the game anymore the umps know his skills are no longer good enough to win the ball without using a dirty tacticks and he is also scruitenised of his play the man not the ball approch .

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

aussiejones
Club Player

Keep BAKER ......

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

Otiman wrote: Matt Maguire – Foot (fractured fourth metatarsal), season

Luke van Rheenen – Foot, season
with Gardi missing all of last year with a foot injury maybe the club needs to hire a full time pediatrist ?