Should we go for Didak or Shaw in trade week?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

stinger
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:
Armoooo wrote:Definitely take Didak or Heath or both just so long as the price was right and we had an escape clause in Didak's contract...
And that's the key thing. If the value is good, we'd be foolish not to look.

Players such as Kerr and Didak should be right in our view as far as I'm concerned. Draft picks are important, but they are still highly speculative. With these blokes, you know what you're getting - superstars on the field, a little dubious off it. The latter part can be worked out at a new environment.

At full price (two first round draft picks?), no way would you consider either. At a cut price (a pick in the 10-14 category?), you'd be absolutely mad not to consider it given what these two have shown they are capable of at AFL level.

I seriously wonder if Richmond regret going for Ian Stewart.
ian stewart was no flog ffs....nothing like didak........stewart went on to coach.....then manage ........he was also one of the games best players.........didak is just a dropkick............

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
SainterX
Club Player

Yep bring in Didak. While we are at it recruit Ben Cousins, bring back Steven Lawrence, Barry Hall and Peter Everitt. maybe Daniel Kerr too and they can all have 1 big piss party :twisted:

A true king doesn't glass his girlfriend.
A true king doesn't smear his blood on an opponent when he cannot break a tag.
A true king does not label umpires disgraceful.
A true king is Robert Harvey.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

SainterX wrote:Yep bring in Didak. While we are at it recruit Ben Cousins, bring back Steven Lawrence, Barry Hall and Peter Everitt. maybe Daniel Kerr too and they can all have 1 big piss party :twisted:

:wink: :lol: ....someone with a clue for once.....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
vacuous space
SS Life Member

There's no way Didak's worth a first in this year's draft. There's just too many quality players there. Port will probably give up their second round pick, maybe a bit player too, and be done with it. Heath Shaw won't be going anywhere. Rhyce Shaw might be done at Collingwood, but he's not worth much. Fringe player in an ordinary midfield.

My guess is that none of them end up here. I doubt we'll be very active in trade week at all.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

No.

We need 1 key forward and 1 key defender who will be ready to play in 2009.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Otiman wrote:No.

We need 1 key forward and 1 key defender who will be ready to play in 2009.
Would have thought a mid sized forward who is a very good player may go alright.

TimeToShineFellas
SS Hall of Fame

SainterX wrote:Yep bring in Didak. While we are at it recruit Ben Cousins, bring back Steven Lawrence, Barry Hall and Peter Everitt. maybe Daniel Kerr too and they can all have 1 big piss party :twisted:
I reckon whoever copped the "designated driver" out of that lot on a night out would be filthy!

:lol:

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

TimeToShineFellas wrote:
I reckon whoever copped the "designated driver" out of that lot on a night out would be filthy!

I know what you mean, a 12 drink minimum wouldn't sit well with any of those blokes I wouldn't think...

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

TimeToShineFellas wrote:

Why?? Wouldn't stop them drinking

Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

Collingwood have 'offered brown a 5 year deal'

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

ralphysaints35 wrote:Collingwood have 'offered brown a 5 year deal'
source?

Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

ausfatcat wrote:
ralphysaints35 wrote:Collingwood have 'offered brown a 5 year deal'
source?
hence why i put this (') here Footy show

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

damn must of passed out but they mentioned it again.

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

Get Cousins and use him as a forward like Roo from Crows for 2 years. Cheap pick up, fmr Capt. Premiership player. Has a point to prove.

We also need some mid speed. Gram is one, but we need another. Armo not quick. X if fit.

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Agreed - let's throw in Fraser Gehrig to piss on somebody - literally!

Because we're such a perfect club.

:roll:

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

Ros Lyon
Club Player

stinger wrote:
Ros Lyon wrote:Definitely, he would be the perfect replacement for Harvey with the added bonus that he kicks goals. Our first pick for Didak.

idiot..... :roll: :roll: :roll:
idiot..... :roll: :roll: :roll:

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

vacuous space wrote:There's no way Didak's worth a first in this year's draft. There's just too many quality players there. Port will probably give up their second round pick, maybe a bit player too, and be done with it. Heath Shaw won't be going anywhere. Rhyce Shaw might be done at Collingwood, but he's not worth much. Fringe player in an ordinary midfield.

My guess is that none of them end up here. I doubt we'll be very active in trade week at all.
While I agree it won't be us, I really think that if the best Collingwood get offered is a 2nd rounder and bit player, we'll see Collingwood decide to give Didak "one more chance". He's absolutely worth a first in this, or any years draft.

Didak is what a lot of people seem to believe Nick Dal Santo is, a guy who wins most of his ball on the outside (he's around 25% contested possession rate), and then uses it really, really well. He's a good mark, has a nose for goals, and a great football brain.

Without being inside the Collingwood dressing room, none of us can actually say how much of a distraction he might be; the main reason for Collingwood to trade him is the PR, to send a message.

That said, I can't see Port parting with pick #3 or #4, they've got too many pressing needs to be topping up. Adelaide on the other hand, if they believe that the return of Hentschel, Porplyzia, and Burton along with the development of Tippett looks after the bulk of their forward needs, may decide that a mid/forward like Didak fits perfectly, and either let the first go, or be willing to discuss one of their young mids.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

don't need SHaw

Didak would be a good fit for us but i'd rather go through the draft this season

esaint66
SS Life Member

I'd say no to both .. we have enough players of their calibre and all our players are better people than them. We don't need to go back to the bad old days of the 80's.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

fonz_#15 wrote:
evertonfc wrote:If only you guys knew what Michael Gardiner, Paul Medhurst, Darren Pfieffer and Graham Polak used to get up too in their spare time...

Fair dinkum. Have they burned the fans at their new clubs?

I'd happily trade for both because I am confident the club would benefit from their skills and ability. Not only that, wouldn't our stronger culture help them become better people?

Heath Shaw won't be traded, but Didak definitely will. I'm not sure Rhys Shaw would be what we're after.

I'd be looking to do a deal with the Pies for sure. Imagine how badly Didak will want to behave at his next club - given from accounts I've heard that he has put in huge strides to focus on footy.

In the old days, he'd have been out till 5am - not on his way home before midnight...and ffs, I expect even our players were out on Sunday night having a few drinks.

I have a firm belief in being able to intergrate players into a football club with a strong culture. We have that.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying we should flood our list with bad boys, but we snagged any one (maybe two) of Cousins, Didak or Kerr, I'd be very happy.

Just ask Geelong whether they are happy they kept Steve Johnson. Or whether Sydney - even now - wishes they didn't have Hall. Or the whole 2006 Eagles team. Or Byron Pickett at Port Adelaide, or Martin Pike at Brisbane.

The reality is that a few blokes with chequered history won't kill your footy club. It's how you manage them.

That's the difference between understanding how football - and people - work, and just assuming a bad apple once remains rotten forever.

Like I said, I wonder what you'll be saying about Steve Johnson - who was given more chances (privately) than Didak - when he takes home a Norm Smith Medal in two months.

on the money. Looking at the big picture, these are quality, proven players and they would fit in perfectly at the club.
spot on everton. id take dids kerr or cuz in 2 seconds.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

ausfatcat wrote:
TimeToShineFellas wrote:

Why?? Wouldn't stop them drinking
all the pies players get loads of cab charges - club would pay their cab fares.. not sure why they dont just get cabs everywhere. its not that hard boys! call a cab! is dids tight or something?

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

would be more than piss i think :-) :lol:

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
I seriously wonder if Richmond regret going for Ian Stewart.
ian stewart was no flog ffs....nothing like didak........stewart went on to coach.....then manage ........he was also one of the games best players.........didak is just a dropkick...........[/quote]

Dids is better than a dropkick. nearly got pies over geelong last year.

not a great bloke by all reports. but he can play.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:Zero chance of us getting Charman - they had to get rid one of Wood, Charman or Leuenberger. They won't cut another.

Tim Boyle will probably be the value deal of trade week. His Hawthorn career is over but in a forward line of Buddy/Roughy/MW, they'd barely fit Roo in there :wink:

Ross doesn't seem to have much time for Charlie Gardiner (who I don't mind), but Boyle would be a superior option based on his 2007 exploits.
fair call. id take timmy boyle for sure for a 2nd round pick (around 20). will be interesting if kerr and cousins are in the mix...

Lions will probably keep Charman - but im not so sure. They have Leunberger and Mitch Clarke and 1 other tall guy I think?

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:fair call. id take timmy boyle for sure for a 2nd round pick (around 20). will be interesting if kerr and cousins are in the mix...
Boyle will be available for much less IMO - his value has been hurt badly by a lack of game time and the fact that he's not a *great* kick. I rate him as a souped-up Charlie Gardiner.

Late third round/early fourth is probably enough in my book.
Lions will probably keep Charman - but im not so sure. They have Leunberger and Mitch Clarke and 1 other tall guy I think?
MC is more CHF than ruck; Leuenberger and Charman will be their ruck combo for the next 6-7 years.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.