Should we go for Didak or Shaw in trade week?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

fonz_#15
SS Life Member

evertonfc wrote:If only you guys knew what Michael Gardiner, Paul Medhurst, Darren Pfieffer and Graham Polak used to get up too in their spare time...

Fair dinkum. Have they burned the fans at their new clubs?

I'd happily trade for both because I am confident the club would benefit from their skills and ability. Not only that, wouldn't our stronger culture help them become better people?

Heath Shaw won't be traded, but Didak definitely will. I'm not sure Rhys Shaw would be what we're after.

I'd be looking to do a deal with the Pies for sure. Imagine how badly Didak will want to behave at his next club - given from accounts I've heard that he has put in huge strides to focus on footy.

In the old days, he'd have been out till 5am - not on his way home before midnight...and ffs, I expect even our players were out on Sunday night having a few drinks.

I have a firm belief in being able to intergrate players into a football club with a strong culture. We have that.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying we should flood our list with bad boys, but we snagged any one (maybe two) of Cousins, Didak or Kerr, I'd be very happy.

Just ask Geelong whether they are happy they kept Steve Johnson. Or whether Sydney - even now - wishes they didn't have Hall. Or the whole 2006 Eagles team. Or Byron Pickett at Port Adelaide, or Martin Pike at Brisbane.

The reality is that a few blokes with chequered history won't kill your footy club. It's how you manage them.

That's the difference between understanding how football - and people - work, and just assuming a bad apple once remains rotten forever.

Like I said, I wonder what you'll be saying about Steve Johnson - who was given more chances (privately) than Didak - when he takes home a Norm Smith Medal in two months.

on the money. Looking at the big picture, these are quality, proven players and they would fit in perfectly at the club.

Robert Harvey- Simply the best
WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

Cairnsman wrote:Cousins would be a safer bet.

Didak hasn't hit rock bottom yet.
Not sure if you're joking here, but...

At the right price (like S King), I'd take Cousins. Like Harves, he is a freak athlete, and you'd get a good 2 years from him IMO.

Handy depth player.

Also, the issue arises that Didak just signed a new contract, so it is unclear if his restrictions are now null and avoid, or do they kick in start of 2009.

If new contract is binding, then new club would have to pay for it. And I doubt the Pies would sack him and not try to get something for the trade.

Perhaps they can trade him to the scum in return for Stevens? :lol: :lol:

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
bethb7
Club Player

I wouldn't take either of them either.

If you can't give the commitment you gave this year and you don't want to improve, you can go because we have unfinished business-Ross Lyon
Huzzad
Club Player

joffaboy wrote:Read todays paper.

Didak is not a priority and the Saints wont chase him.
Which paper was that?
He would seem a perfect fit for Carlton, Brisbane, Essendon and St Kilda, all lacking goal-kicking small forwards.

St Kilda and the Kangaroos are more interested in replenishing their stocks of youth, but would not rule out interest in Didak.

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/s ... 23,00.html

Ros Lyon
Club Player

Definitely, he would be the perfect replacement for Harvey with the added bonus that he kicks goals. Our first pick for Didak.

Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

he would be a asset and look at the bad boys we have turned into good players etc

Saint Mik
Club Player

Look at the bright side, we no longer have the scum supporters carrying on about Hamill so imagine what the Filth supporters would carry on like when Didak kicks a bag against his old side :lol:

That is worth the risk alone, we could even grab a gold jacket and swing it around everytime he kicks a goal for us :lol:

He is a gun player and is well worth taking but at a decent price, perhaps we could do a deal with the filthy ones and get them to pay some of his salary if the contract is in stone, money seems to come easy down at Lexus center anyway, so they keep reminding us, pitty the good players cant be just purchased anymore like they did in the past to get the dirty flags they have.

They are a joke and always will be, 1 honest flag is better than what they have and I would also rather have 30,000 decent members than 40,000 morons, 5,000 of them get the family to pay the membership for them because you cant make a purchase from behind bars.

FARKING SCUM IS ALL YOU ARE so give us the player that has been tarnished by your filthy ways and let him shine at a decent club

Forget the past, Saints footy, One better in 2010
Huzzad
Club Player

Saint Mik wrote:Look at the bright side, we no longer have the scum supporters carrying on about Hamill so imagine what the Filth supporters would carry on like when Didak kicks a bag against his old side :lol:
True, but Hamill wasn't kicked out. I imagine Didak would have a similar reception to Mikey Gardiner.

Speaking of which, what is reaction like from Pie fans? Do they want to get rid of him or retain him?

Saint Mik
Club Player

They still love him dont you worry about that

Drink driving and shooting guns ect is just the normal thing to do down at the filth, most of them cant understand why he has been dropped. :roll:

ITS ALL BULLSHYTE they are screaming like little Buckleys

Forget the past, Saints footy, One better in 2010
WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

Perhaps we can set up a deal to give them Hamill, Gherig, Stevens and whoever else they missed out on for Didak?

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

simple question..........simple answer.......no....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

id take Dids. but as usual trade is about what u have to give up!
pick 40 for dids - hell yeah. pick 10 for dids? no way jose.

but we have other issues. id take Daniel kerr. Id take timmy boyle.
would we take jamie charman??
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Fri 08 Aug 2008 7:24pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:id take DIS. but as usual trade is about what u have to give up!
pick 40 for dids - hell yeah. pick 10 for dids? no way jose.

but we have other issues. id take Daniel kerr. Id take timmy boyle.
would we take jamie charman??
id take charman, good young ruck forward back option he can play anywhere cant he

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Huzzad wrote:
joffaboy wrote:Read todays paper.

Didak is not a priority and the Saints wont chase him.
Which paper was that?
He would seem a perfect fit for Carlton, Brisbane, Essendon and St Kilda, all lacking goal-kicking small forwards.

St Kilda and the Kangaroos are more interested in replenishing their stocks of youth, but would not rule out interest in Didak.

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/s ... 23,00.html
One of the two in Melb. Cant remember. Archie said never say never but we will be looking at youth.

We wont be a player for Didak.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:simple question..........simple answer.......no....
it is not a simple question. because it depends what you are giving up.

dids for pick-77? YES. did for pick 7 -NO.

dids is a guy than can win you 4 games a year - remember last years prelim final when he played midfield and nearly got pies over cats into a GF???

so you would be mad not to condider him at some stage of the draft. he will go around 20.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Zero chance of us getting Charman - they had to get rid one of Wood, Charman or Leuenberger. They won't cut another.

Tim Boyle will probably be the value deal of trade week. His Hawthorn career is over but in a forward line of Buddy/Roughy/MW, they'd barely fit Roo in there :wink:

Ross doesn't seem to have much time for Charlie Gardiner (who I don't mind), but Boyle would be a superior option based on his 2007 exploits.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Ros Lyon wrote:Definitely, he would be the perfect replacement for Harvey with the added bonus that he kicks goals. Our first pick for Didak.

idiot..... :roll: :roll: :roll:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
Ros Lyon wrote:Definitely, he would be the perfect replacement for Harvey with the added bonus that he kicks goals. Our first pick for Didak.
idiot..... :roll: :roll: :roll:
Don't know if I'd say he's Harvey replacement but I'd do deal like our first and third picks for Didak and their second :shock:

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Of course we should go after him afterall MG did as much wrong before we got him and hasnt put a foot wrong. He will go for a much lower pick than he is worth due to troubles and they need to get rid of him. He is only 25 so has a good 6-8 years left in him. Remember Aker went at about pick 30 because Brisbane wanted him out. I reckon we could get him with a pick like 15-25 so worth going after.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:If only you guys knew what Michael Gardiner, Paul Medhurst, Darren Pfieffer and Graham Polak used to get up too in their spare time...

Fair dinkum. Have they burned the fans at their new clubs?

I'd happily trade for both because I am confident the club would benefit from their skills and ability. Not only that, wouldn't our stronger culture help them become better people?

Heath Shaw won't be traded, but Didak definitely will. I'm not sure Rhys Shaw would be what we're after.

I'd be looking to do a deal with the Pies for sure. Imagine how badly Didak will want to behave at his next club - given from accounts I've heard that he has put in huge strides to focus on footy.

In the old days, he'd have been out till 5am - not on his way home before midnight...and ffs, I expect even our players were out on Sunday night having a few drinks.

I have a firm belief in being able to intergrate players into a football club with a strong culture. We have that.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying we should flood our list with bad boys, but we snagged any one (maybe two) of Cousins, Didak or Kerr, I'd be very happy.

Just ask Geelong whether they are happy they kept Steve Johnson. Or whether Sydney - even now - wishes they didn't have Hall. Or the whole 2006 Eagles team. Or Byron Pickett at Port Adelaide, or Martin Pike at Brisbane.

The reality is that a few blokes with chequered history won't kill your footy club. It's how you manage them.

That's the difference between understanding how football - and people - work, and just assuming a bad apple once remains rotten forever.

Like I said, I wonder what you'll be saying about Steve Johnson - who was given more chances (privately) than Didak - when he takes home a Norm Smith Medal in two months.
Another balanced well thought out post Everton. Agree 100%. Would take Didak no problem. Exactly the kind of player we were hoping Schneider would be for us. Quick, good overhead for his size, skillful and knows where the goals are. Would be an excellent acquisition from the middle of the ground going forward.

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Definitely take Didak or Heath or both just so long as the price was right and we had an escape clause in Didak's contract...

As for Rhys we were offered him and Guy Richards for pick 26 last year and we turned it down, don't think he's what we want...

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

Armoooo wrote:As for Rhys we were offered him and Guy Richards for pick 26 last year and we turned it down, don't think he's what we want...

When did that come about?

Schillaci
Club Player

No and no.

Keep our picks and take the best available young talent.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Armoooo wrote:Definitely take Didak or Heath or both just so long as the price was right and we had an escape clause in Didak's contract...
And that's the key thing. If the value is good, we'd be foolish not to look.

Players such as Kerr and Didak should be right in our view as far as I'm concerned. Draft picks are important, but they are still highly speculative. With these blokes, you know what you're getting - superstars on the field, a little dubious off it. The latter part can be worked out at a new environment.

At full price (two first round draft picks?), no way would you consider either. At a cut price (a pick in the 10-14 category?), you'd be absolutely mad not to consider it given what these two have shown they are capable of at AFL level.

I seriously wonder if Richmond regret going for Ian Stewart.

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

ausfatcat wrote:
Armoooo wrote:As for Rhys we were offered him and Guy Richards for pick 26 last year and we turned it down, don't think he's what we want...

When did that come about?
I remember reading it in an article the day we picked up Schneider and Dempster, I checked it up on my phone, not much was spoken about it otherwise, I believe it came from sportal.

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!