Nick Dal Santo - has he been sick of late?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Beej
Saintsational Legend

Nick Dal Santo - has he been sick of late?

Saw the Port game and he looked pale and a little thin to me.

His form over the last couple have been well down in comparison to his performance against the Hawks.

Definitely not the same player.

What's wrong with him?

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Tonsillitis - it has been reported. Bit old to have them clipped now and they often grow back in any event.

I dare say he is on ABs, and they can have a debilitating effect.

Sobraz
SS Life Member

perfectionist wrote:Tonsillitis - it has been reported. Bit old to have them clipped now and they often grow back in any event.

I dare say he is on ABs, and they can have a debilitating effect.
Very little chance of them growing back, less than 5%, but if he were to have the op, he'd be out for a fortnight atleast... probably 3 weeks to be safe... first 14 of days post op are hell...

Strong anti's needed, and rest... hopefully he responds and will be back to his hawks form by sat night...

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Re: Nick Dal Santo - has he been sick of late?

OLB wrote:Saw the Port game and he looked pale and a little thin to me

i thought he was ok, but he did err a couple of times in kicking it to the top of the square rather than having a shot himself.

unless roo is having a day out (and he wasn't) the percentage play should have been to go for goal ... particulary for a player with dal's skills.

early in the last quarter he popped one up high to the goalsquare and the predictable result was that roo and kosi spoiled each other in the marking contest.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

I thought quite a lot of our kicks went to the top of the square, but when it got there (usually a scrappy up 'n' under) a three forwards converged on it at the same time. Same if it went to the pocket. Not enough communication last week, and I was surprised to see it happen right the way through the match (see Roo + Kosi + Ball = Ball out injured)...surely the forward coach, the coach or the captain (!!!) should have had words to try formulate some coehesive attack on the ball???

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

he's had two bad ones.
I have watched the PA last quarter several times now, and the thing that stands out, was that when everyone was busting a gut to get us over the line, NDS had two touches.
I noticed on two occasions in the last he was grabbing his right hand, and after the game when all the Saints were celebrating he was hunched over.
Its not about stats because I think he picked up about three in the space of twenty seconds early in the game, it is about his impact on the game.
So if he is crook, should we be playing him? Certainly his output is compromised. Or more importantly should we be playing him in the middle? I dont want him dropped again, but maybe it is time we plonk him in the forward pocket.

Seeya
stinger
Saintsational Legend

he's been resting in bed up to game time....stayed in his hotel bed in perth right up to just before the game....fairly widely reported too......not a secret.......

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

He just would not go in and get the ball, or tackle.

Obviously didn't want to infect Port players with whatever he's got.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

sunsaint wrote:So if he is crook, should we be playing him? Certainly his output is compromised. Or more importantly should we be playing him in the middle? I dont want him dropped again, but maybe it is time we plonk him in the forward pocket.
he'd be worth quite a few goals as a forward.

i've often suggested he be given a run there crook or not because apart from the goals he'd kick himself he'd create many others with his cool head and superb use of the ball.

we need to get more out of this potential match-winner, but i'm not sure he's an elite on-baller. might be better value as a creative and dangerous half forward.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

hes was fairly crook over here in perth .. proved how much effort the players put in week in week out as Dal was looking sick as hell and he still managed to go throught the riggors of training and a game ....

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
Dal'sGal26
Club Player

If Dal is sick, why is he still being played?
I did notice he looked pale on the weekend and was obviously not at his best.
Rest him until he is better, so he can come back to his best. It's what we are all waiting for.

i <3 the red, white and black

Sainter for LIFE!
saint patrick
Saintsational Legend

Has been crook...not an excuse... a fact...any decent virus takes two weeks minimum to shake...will be back in town on Saturday night you just wait and see :twisted:

Never take a backward step even to gain momentum.....

'It's OK to have the capabilities and abilities, but you've got to get it done." Terry Daniher 05

"We have beauty in our captain and we have a true leader in our coach. Our time will come"
Thinline.Post 09 Grand final.
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:He just would not go in and get the ball, or tackle.

Obviously didn't want to infect Port players with whatever he's got.
thats why he made probably the game saving tackle towards the end of the fourth quarter....

:roll:

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Game saving tackle in last quarter?

Which game was that, Dud?

Champion Data stats say he didn't lay a tackle all day.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
starsign
Club Player

he does seem off his wheaties a bit.....
But I came home and posted my votes without giving him a thought
Then saw he had 20 possessions....
watched the replay and was surprized at how much he was involved and saw a lot of good work he did without being spectacular

didn't waste a kick and apart from the high bomb up to the square and not taking a shot on another option, he played a much better game than I orriginally thought

True Blue Sainter
Club Player

starsign wrote:he does seem off his wheaties a bit.....
But I came home and posted my votes without giving him a thought
Then saw he had 20 possessions....
watched the replay and was surprized at how much he was involved and saw a lot of good work he did without being spectacular

didn't waste a kick and apart from the high bomb up to the square and not taking a shot on another option, he played a much better game than I orriginally thought
Seems to be getting a fair few possessions in close in recent weeks. Personally, although I admire his clean hands in tight, I prefer him receiving the ball in space where he can size up the options and use his supreme foot skills.

The Saints are coming!
BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

Bernard Shakey wrote:Game saving tackle in last quarter?

iI recall the tackle in question - it was a diving Dal Santo who started the tackle and stripped the ball late in the 4th. Should have been holding the ball for mine (in which case he still wouldn't have registered a tackle).

If you've got a tape or access to it, it's in the last 2 minutes of the game, can't remember who the port player was.

I only saw it because I sat down to watch the last 5 minutes on TV when I got home. I can recall yelling for a free when at the ground, hadn't realised it was Dal. On the TV the commentators talked about the desperate effort.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

True Blue Sainter wrote:Seems to be getting a fair few possessions in close in recent weeks. Personally, although I admire his clean hands in tight, I prefer him receiving the ball in space where he can size up the options and use his supreme foot skills.
agree. we should have him playing to his strengths where he has few equals, rather than trying to turn him into something he's not.

some guys are in and under. some are creative and elusive. you can't be all things to all people.

i think his best position is half forward, to be honest.

HarveysDeciple

Just wait for the 6 posters who share the same ip address to jump on here pretending they are different people :wink:

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

HarveysDeciple wrote:Just wait for the 6 posters who share the same ip address to jump on here pretending they are different people :wink:
i've noticed that. they are the guy that wants to trade kosi and dal at the end of the season.
Last edited by bigcarl on Wed 06 Aug 2008 11:32am, edited 1 time in total.

HarveysDeciple

bigcarl wrote:
HarveysDeciple wrote:Just wait for the 6 posters who share the same ip address to jump on here pretending they are different people :wink:
i've noticed that.
as have we, and action has been taken :wink:

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

HarveysDeciple wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
i've noticed that.
as have we, and action has been taken :wink:
good to hear. i would be worried if their/his views/view represented a majority or even a significant proportion of supporters.

Beej
Saintsational Legend

Re: Nick Dal Santo - has he been sick of late?

bigcarl wrote:
OLB wrote:Saw the Port game and he looked pale and a little thin to me
early in the last quarter he popped one up high to the goalsquare and the predictable result was that roo and kosi spoiled each other in the marking contest.
I reckon he was going for goal then but sliced it. If you look at his body language immediately after he kicks it before the camera shifts away he's tilting his body to the right urging the footy to go towards goal.

Good thing that the club has kept hush over the tonsillitis. I must say I like that policy - no excuses. If you're out there, you're fit enough.

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

BAM! (shhhh) wrote:
Bernard Shakey wrote:Game saving tackle in last quarter?

iI recall the tackle in question - it was a diving Dal Santo who started the tackle and stripped the ball late in the 4th. Should have been holding the ball for mine (in which case he still wouldn't have registered a tackle).

If you've got a tape or access to it, it's in the last 2 minutes of the game, can't remember who the port player was.

I only saw it because I sat down to watch the last 5 minutes on TV when I got home. I can recall yelling for a free when at the ground, hadn't realised it was Dal. On the TV the commentators talked about the desperate effort.
Its funny how two people can watch the same incident and see completely different things.
It was not a tackle but a touch on the backside of K Cornes that caused a loose ball. NDS never held him. Hayes right on his heels did well to avoid falling all over him. There were many 1% in the last 1/4 including Dempster taking out Motlop. Gwilts smother. THAT Riewoldt mark. Goddard leaving two PA players in his wake. Fiora splitting the pack and clearing a big contested ball which lead to the 13 point lead Gram goal.

Seeya