Heath Shaw charged with drink-driving *updated*

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

He got pissed, drove a car and had an accident. Fortunately, no-one was injured. Nothing to do with footy, I say, it's his job, not his life.

Reminded of the saying: Let those without sin cast the first stone. It won't be me.

markp
Saintsational Legend

perfectionist wrote:He got pissed, drove a car and had an accident. Fortunately, no-one was injured. Nothing to do with footy, I say, it's his job, not his life.

Reminded of the saying: Let those without sin cast the first stone. It won't be me.

It's not just a job... if he wants just a job he can go get one at Maccas.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

perfectionist wrote:He got pissed, drove a car and had an accident. Fortunately, no-one was injured. Nothing to do with footy, I say, it's his job, not his life.

So you'd be recommending this sort of behaviour to any 20+ year olds you know?

Isn't that the point of it all?
There are kids running around idolizing footballers like Heath Shaw just like others idolize Paris Hilton and Brittaney Spears etc (who afterall are only celebrities).
Are they setting a good example?
Should they be expected to set a good example?
Is that part of the 'downside' of being a league footballer - having to set a good example to the wider community?

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Re: Heath Shaw charged with drink-driving *updated*

chook23 wrote:First of all hope he is OK
yeah, sure thing, buddy :wink: :lol:

Griggsy
SS Life Member

saint66au wrote:Just had a browse around nicks magpie page (Pies equiv of SS)

Surprising amount of anger directed at Heath, and many thinking he should have been suspended

The one clown who decided "whats the big deal hes young and if he'd got home we'd never have heard about it" was shot down in flames in quick time.

Dont think there will be to much supporting cheering for him from their faithful if their fan site is any indication.
just read most of that forum, they are absolutly roasting him and the club for being soft. And so they should, maybe their supporters are brighter than we thought...not as much that can be said for Eddie. Someone mentioned he is expecting him to get boo's from their own supporters against the saints.

If it was a Saints player i would want them suspended without any thought. AFL players are role models whether they like it or not.

remboy
SS Hall of Fame

If one of our players had blown nearly three times the legal limit and written off three cars we'd would have had to put up with a week of newspaper articles questioning the culture of the club. Given that this behaviour has cost them a major sponsorship in the last 12 months why don't the AFL step in and do something? Probably because it's Collingwood. Not suspending him tells all of their other players that they think this sort of thing is ok. What would have happened if someone had been killed (and it's only by good fortune that somebody wasn't).

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Armoooo wrote:If it was Gram who it happened to I would want him to play regardless, unless you would agree with that you can't say Shaw should be suspended or else Collingwood have a culture problem...
Of course, anyone with half a brain would agree with it Armoooo...if any of our players did it, I'd expect to see them suspended immediately. It's got nothing to do with football, nor should it...Eddie's 'clown' could have killed someone.

Glad to hear Collingwood fans are sinking the boot too...he deserves it.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

What about Justin Peckett?

degruch
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:What about Justin Peckett?
He doesn't play for us anymore, so it's a bit hard to suspend him.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:
But what happened when he did and lost his licence?

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:
Armoooo wrote:If it was Gram who it happened to I would want him to play regardless, unless you would agree with that you can't say Shaw should be suspended or else Collingwood have a culture problem...
Of course, anyone with half a brain would agree with it Armoooo...if any of our players did it, I'd expect to see them suspended immediately. It's got nothing to do with football, nor should it...Eddie's 'clown' could have killed someone.

It comes down to the old arguement about whether you would get sacked for drink driving,if you wouldn't why should football players.

It is not the club's responsibility IMO, it is a matter for the police and possibly the AFL hierarchy...

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
degruch
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
degruch wrote:
Yes, we're talking about Butt's leadership here...they got tossed out last year, and that decision probably merit's it alone. If any of our players did what Heath Shaw did over the weekend, they should be suspended. I don't care if Roo has too many alco-pops one Grand Final eve, if he's dumb enough to do it, he would deserve suspension.

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:

There are kids running around idolizing footballers like Heath Shaw just like others idolize Paris Hilton and Brittaney Spears etc (who afterall are only celebrities).
Is that part of the 'downside' of being a league footballer - having to set a good example to the wider community?
First of all, it's time we got rid of this "Role Model" crap. They are footballers. nothing else. I followed the Saints when I was boy, teenager and young man. The idea that my behaviour was or should be in any way influenced by a footballer, cricketer, film actor or anyone else without any real knowledge of the person's life is ridiculous. And it is up to adults everywhere to state this to their children if they haven't done so already. In any event, anyone with half a brain can work this out for themselves.

Most of it is driven by some sanctimonious media types who being basically worthless people themselves, abuse their power and position.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
degruch wrote:
Yes, we're talking about Butt's leadership here...they got tossed out last year, and that decision probably merit's it alone. If any of our players did what Heath Shaw did over the weekend, they should be suspended. I don't care if Roo has too many alco-pops one Grand Final eve, if he's dumb enough to do it, he would deserve suspension.
But we didnt with Peckett and 2 others I can think of. Matter of fact I dont think we have really ever suspended a player and there have some interesting incidents over the last few years.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
degruch wrote:
Had we had a series of off-field offences?

Had our CEO stated publicly at a Press Conference that 'no more such behaviour would be tolerated'?

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Armoooo wrote:
degruch wrote:

It comes down to the old arguement about whether you would get sacked for drink driving,if you wouldn't why should football players.

It is not the club's responsibility IMO, it is a matter for the police and possibly the AFL hierarchy...
Well, you've got a point with that comparison. If my job was driving taxi's, racing cars, or making deliveries...yes. In the same vein, if I was a public figure that kids and the community looked up to, yes too. The fact is, so far he's been caught drink driving, crashed into a pile of cars, and is evidently lying through his teeth to protect a team-mate from losing his contract...not good is it? If I was caught doing all those things, I'd expect to be sacked from my current job (as draftsperson, incidentally) as well.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
degruch wrote:

Had our CEO stated publicly at a Press Conference that 'no more such behaviour would be tolerated'?
No but Mick Maulthouse is also on record saying players shouldnt ne suspended as it effects more than just the one player. I not saying which way is right just pointing out that I dont think you can always have clear cut decisions.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

perfectionist wrote:Most of it is driven by some sanctimonious media types who being basically worthless people themselves, abuse their power and position.
And everyday people who think the prospect of having their lives ended by a pissed Collingwood footballer a tad crap.

Role model or not, he is known as a Collingwood footballer, he has a duty to their club, plus he has a duty (like the rest of us) to behave like a normal human being.

You can't defend it Perf...it's total s*** and he knows it.

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

plugger makes a fair point..but.

Were different times back then. (pre online Fan Forums lol) .society and football have changed.

I reckon back then every AFL team had one player catching cabs and noone outsidfe the club and thier families were any wiser

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
degruch wrote:

No but Mick Maulthouse is also on record saying players shouldnt ne suspended as it effects more than just the one player. I not saying which way is right just pointing out that I dont think you can always have clear cut decisions.
I don't have an issue with Malthouse - he has made his view perfectly clear. If the player is vital to Collingwood's team he operates under a different set of rules than if the player is a marginal one.

It is the sanctimonious bs sprouted by their President, CEO and anybody else at Collingwood about
'we're not going to put up with it anymore'
'we've given him a massive penalty'
etc, etc,

Pure and utter spin BS.

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:
perfectionist wrote:Most of it is driven by some sanctimonious media types who being basically worthless people themselves, abuse their power and position.
And everyday people who think the prospect of having their lives ended by a pissed Collingwood footballer a tad crap.

Role model or not, he is known as a Collingwood footballer, he has a duty to their club, plus he has a duty (like the rest of us) to behave like a normal human being.

No-one is saying he should get off, just that he should receive the same penalty as you or me. Simple.

Schillaci
Club Player

perfectionist wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:

First of all, it's time we got rid of this "Role Model" crap. They are footballers. nothing else. I followed the Saints when I was boy, teenager and young man. The idea that my behaviour was or should be in any way influenced by a footballer, cricketer, film actor or anyone else without any real knowledge of the person's life is ridiculous. And it is up to adults everywhere to state this to their children if they haven't done so already. In any event, anyone with half a brain can work this out for themselves.

Most of it is driven by some sanctimonious media types who being basically worthless people themselves, abuse their power and position.
Sportspeople are now "role models' whether we like it or not...same as political correctness is here like it or lump it...we don't get a choice...we can educate our children to follow the example of others...fathers, uncles, grandparents, teachers, mentors, Jesus and instill in them good values and hope they make the right choices in life. As you say if they have half a brain they should be able to tell the difference between a hero and a role model...sometimes they are the same thing (Harvey)...sometimes they are a hero and sometimes they can be...Wayne Carey :shock: ...Warrick Capper :shock: :shock: and today Heath Shaw...think they'd be better off though in choosing a role model outside of the AFL
Last edited by Schillaci on Mon 04 Aug 2008 9:14pm, edited 1 time in total.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

perfectionist wrote:
degruch wrote:

No-one is saying he should get off, just that he should receive the same penalty as you or me. Simple.
If I did what he did (drank, drove, crashed, lied), I'd expect my boss to shove a pineapple up my arse the next day...but Collingwood are trying to write it off with 'naughty boy, ooooh I'm cross' rhetoric, which ad's fuel to the fire.

Griggsy
SS Life Member

Armoooo wrote:
degruch wrote:

It's different when you are in the public spotlight. If someone in the general public did this, no one knows who they are or where they work. AFL player does it and its negetive for the player, the club and the league as a whole.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

He had a CRASH, not an accident. There is a MASSIVE difference !!